Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deciding Where to Go - Queen's vs. King's (UK)  (Read 9619 times)

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding Where to Go - Queen's vs. King's (UK)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »
4-1, you go to Queen's, right?  Where do you think you're gonna end up next year?

Yeah, I'm soon to be a Queen's alumnus. Castle alumnus too  ;D.

As to the second part of that question.. I'm having a hard time coming up with a decision. Given the lack of California love, I'm a bit less tempted to go down south than I used to be, so I might very well go to UofT. However, I just don't know. Unless some miracle happens and a Harvard admission comes through though, I'll probably end up somewhere in New York City. Either Columbia or NYU -- I'm taking a road trip down there in a week or so to get a feel for both, but right now I'm leaning towards Columbia. Penn has impressed me considerably (I almost didn't even apply), but in the end, New York just trumps Philly on too many levels. And Virginia hasn't offered me enough money to really make my decision hard.

I'm curious as to who you are now.;)  FWIW, I was at Columbia's and Penn's ASW's, and liked them both a lot, but Columbia a bit moreso and I'll *probably* be there in August. 

4-1

• This year is THE year.. or maybe next year? :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 04:14:46 PM »
4-1, you go to Queen's, right?  Where do you think you're gonna end up next year?

As to the second part of that question.. I'm having a hard time coming up with a decision. Given the lack of California love, I'm a bit less tempted to go down south than I used to be, so I might very well go to UofT. However, I just don't know. Unless some miracle happens and a Harvard admission comes through though, I'll probably end up somewhere in New York City. Either Columbia or NYU -- I'm taking a road trip down there in a week or so to get a feel for both, but right now I'm leaning towards Columbia. Penn has impressed me considerably (I almost didn't even apply), but in the end, New York just trumps Philly on too many levels. And Virginia hasn't offered me enough money to really make my decision hard.

I'm curious as to who you are now.;)  FWIW, I was at Columbia's and Penn's ASW's, and liked them both a lot, but Columbia a bit moreso and I'll *probably* be there in August. 

Haha, yes, that's exactly what I was thinking when I noticed you were from Queen's and probably going to Columbia in the fall. Guess we're in the same boat when it comes to not having heard anything from Harvard, eh? Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you didn't even apply to NYU? Did you just know you didn't want to go there?
CLS 2010!

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »

Haha, yes, that's exactly what I was thinking when I noticed you were from Queen's and probably going to Columbia in the fall. Guess we're in the same boat when it comes to not having heard anything from Harvard, eh? Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you didn't even apply to NYU? Did you just know you didn't want to go there?

In retrospect, I probably should have applied, but I was kind of bitter at them for not giving me a fee waiver, silly as it sounds, and I decided that when it came down to it, I wouldn't pick NYU above either Penn or CLS, so I just didn't see the point.

Incidentally, you weren't in Econ 241 last semester, were you?

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 03:41:40 PM »
Castle alumnus here too... weird, it's like HLS has something against us!

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 03:46:26 PM »

Hey, I wouldn't complain...you have quite the assortment of scholarships to choose from!

Queen's represent.:)

4-1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 10:22:46 AM »

Unfortunatly, I think you might be on to something there, treppenwitz. If you look at the demographics of schools represented in Harvard Law's entire student body, there isn't a single person from Queen's. 7 from UofT, 3 from McGill, 2 from Western, 2 from York, even 1 from UBC, Waterloo and McMasters... 0 from Queen's :(

http://www.law.harvard.edu/admissions/jd/colleges.php

That whole page leads me to believe that Harvard gives the undergraduate school you went to a lot of weight.. and for some reason they don't like Queen's.
CLS 2010!

4-1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 10:25:11 AM »

In retrospect, I probably should have applied, but I was kind of bitter at them for not giving me a fee waiver, silly as it sounds, and I decided that when it came down to it, I wouldn't pick NYU above either Penn or CLS, so I just didn't see the point.

Nope :) Econ is one of those subjects I kinda wish I had time to take more courses in, but I never made it beyond the 100 level ones.
CLS 2010!

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »

Nope :) Econ is one of those subjects I kinda wish I had time to take more courses in, but I never made it beyond the 100 level ones.

Yeah, I've only taken a few.  I just mentioned that because there was a guy who sat behind me every day and talked about top US law schools to his friend, and I of course liked to eavesdrop.;)

petaling

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 06:06:36 AM »
Go to Queen's.

First as a Queen's alumni I have to agree-it's a fine school, you'll have a blast and of course you're going for free.

Secondly I think it is unwise to try to finish off your schooling so quickly; most of my classmates are older then me and many have graduate and work experience, you certainly gain no advantage from beginning early.

And of course if you do well enough at Queen's you could get into a whole rsnge of top tier law schools in the U.S, or study in Canada, and of course if you want to work in Canada it may be best to study in Canada.

Finally with all the tuition you save you can study at the Castle, getting Queen's credits and having fun in Europe.

And a word of advice: take what you want. Queen's English does mark hard, but it's best to do what you like. Certainly if you do the work you can get As in English, or any other subject.

By Jeeves in law .ca

Queens all the way. How could you choose London over Kingston Ontario - a "city" that we all know to be one of the cultural centers of the world? Also, I think that it's a far better use of your time to spend four years doing a Queens undergrad and then 3 more years in Canadian LS when you could have the eqivalent qualifications in 4 years out of KCL (3 year degree, +1 year extra in Canada). And why on Earth would you want to think of the huge scope and fascinating possibilities of practicing in the sumptuous London legal market?

Oh, and Slick Nick, you're absolutely right, KCL's average entrance stats with 4 'A' Levels with at least 3 As really doesn't get much respect in England. Neither does the #8 Times Good University Guide ranking or being one of the oldest and most repuatble Univesities in England. These thing are so ephemeral, aren't they? You really nailed that one.

In all seriousness; if money is not a huge factor for you, go to London. You really have nothing apart from that scholarship to lose and a whole world of fantastic possibilities to gain. The people on this thread advocating Queens need to take a cold shower and slap themselves in the face a few times.

4-1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 03:01:32 PM »
Kingston is not London.

That being said, it IS a college town, and I can think of few better places to spend 4 years in your early 20s. Can you have more fun in London? Maybe, if you've got tons of money to spend, and enjoy a big-city atmosphere. But that's a personal decision.

As for it taking 7 years to get your Bachelor's and J.D vs 4 for an LLB -- sure. But what's the bloody rush? You're going to be working your butt off once you're a lawyer, you might as well enjoy your freedom while you're young. Not to mention the fact that the OP might change his/her mind about wanting to do law. Plenty of people change their mind about what they want to do in univerity. Some change their mind more than once.

And when it comes right down to it, a British LL.B. is just not the equivalent of a J.D. as far as money-making potential is concerned. Especially if it's not from Oxbridge. Have you looked at what it takes to become a lawyer in England? It's not exactly easy unless you come from one of the top universities.

If the OP intends to practice law in Canada, he's much better off getting a Canadian LL.B than a British LL.B. If he intends to practice internationally, he's better off with a US J.D. Either way, Kings is not the right decision.
CLS 2010!