Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deciding Where to Go - Queen's vs. King's (UK)  (Read 9833 times)

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding Where to Go - Queen's vs. King's (UK)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 03:28:54 PM »
To be honest, I think Queen's grading scale is an advantage, not a disadvantage.  Landing an 80 and getting an automatic 4.0 is pretty sweet.  The difference between an 80 and an 85 in most classes is quite significant: you don't have to worry about this at Queen's.  There was a thread either here or on lawstudents.ca a while ago that compared the college mean GPA on the LSDAS reports and if I remember correctly Queen's average was significantly higher than other Canadian schools like Toronto, McGill and UBC. 

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »
If you want to study in Britain, go to University of Edinburgh.

Do I have a reason for this? No.

Edinburgh just happens to be the shiznat.
VIP.

ballpoint

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:16:29 PM »
unfortunately Scottish LLB are less recognized in Canada,Read link above.
English and other common law grad need only 30 hrs credit or face challenge exams only.
Shi----- or not.Scotland on par with the Phillipines(Hybrid law systems)
2. Hybrid Jurisdictions
Applicants from jurisdictions that have mixed legal systems with a common law component are considered on criteria similar to those applied to applicants with a common law background. In addition, however, the Committee takes into account the extent of the common law component in the applicant's particular program.

(a) Scotland, South Africa, Israel, Philippines, etc.
Applicants from hybrid jurisdictions such as Scotland, South Africa, Israel, Philippines, etc. are usually asked to study 45-60 credit hours in a Canadian common law faculty if they have obtained at least Second Division standing in a 3 year honours law program following upon an undergraduate degree. In appropriate circumstances, the applicant may be asked to write 10 or 11 prescribed examinations. The Committee takes into account admission by examination into the Law Society or call to the Bar and post qualification practical experience in the jurisdiction where the applicant has qualified. The Committee also considers relevant graduate legal education, law teaching experience and the curriculum or subjects studied as part of the law degree program.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 10:53:54 PM »

I know. Scotland has a Civil Law system. I wasn't suggesting that he do an LL.B, actually, and even if he did, he seemed to be interested in coming back to North America and pursuing a JD when he completed his program in the UK. Hence, I suggested an alternative (which happens to be a school I like).
VIP.

ballpoint

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 08:51:25 AM »

I know. Scotland has a Civil Law system. I wasn't suggesting that he do an LL.B, actually, and even if he did, he seemed to be interested in coming back to North America and pursuing a JD when he completed his program in the UK. Hence, I suggested an alternative (which happens to be a school I like).

The OP(grade 12 student) has a choice of 2 routes and asked for opinions:
(1)Kings College LLB(specific)
(2)temptation of $36000 at Queens,Liberal Arts/English
To paraphrase another poster on the American thread,if he/she Aces at King's,he'll make Columbia and forget about Queens.He 'll be alright ,Jack.

4-1

• This year is THE year.. or maybe next year? :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 06:32:59 PM »
Wow, lots of Queen's people coming out of the woodwork!

I think Queen's is a better option for you, but it really does depend on your future plans. Where do you want to practice law? Canada? the U.S? Britain? No idea?

My advice is no to rush things. Do an undergraduate degree. Take the time to study something you'd like, and just get a broader perspective on the world. Going to Queens' will certainly not hurt you in the long run when it comes to admission to law school, and you'll have 4 years of fun along the way.
CLS 2010!

mark_ede

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 10:39:34 PM »
Go to Queen's.

First as a Queen's alumni I have to agree-it's a fine school, you'll have a blast and of course you're going for free.

Secondly I think it is unwise to try to finish off your schooling so quickly; most of my classmates are older then me and many have graduate and work experience, you certainly gain no advantage from beginning early.

And of course if you do well enough at Queen's you could get into a whole rsnge of top tier law schools in the U.S, or study in Canada, and of course if you want to work in Canada it may be best to study in Canada.

Finally with all the tuition you save you can study at the Castle, getting Queen's credits and having fun in Europe.

And a word of advice: take what you want. Queen's English does mark hard, but it's best to do what you like. Certainly if you do the work you can get As in English, or any other subject.

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »
4-1, you go to Queen's, right?  Where do you think you're gonna end up next year?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »
I'm with Saja.  Queen's all the way.  Who knows, you may even change your mind about law in three years' time.  Then you're stuck in the freakin' UK!   :D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

4-1

• This year is THE year.. or maybe next year? :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 08:32:41 AM »
4-1, you go to Queen's, right?  Where do you think you're gonna end up next year?

Yeah, I'm soon to be a Queen's alumnus. Castle alumnus too  ;D.

As to the second part of that question.. I'm having a hard time coming up with a decision. Given the lack of California love, I'm a bit less tempted to go down south than I used to be, so I might very well go to UofT. However, I just don't know. Unless some miracle happens and a Harvard admission comes through though, I'll probably end up somewhere in New York City. Either Columbia or NYU -- I'm taking a road trip down there in a week or so to get a feel for both, but right now I'm leaning towards Columbia. Penn has impressed me considerably (I almost didn't even apply), but in the end, New York just trumps Philly on too many levels. And Virginia hasn't offered me enough money to really make my decision hard.
CLS 2010!