Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deciding Where to Go - Queen's vs. King's (UK)  (Read 9900 times)

strawberrypocky

• View Profile
Deciding Where to Go - Queen's vs. King's (UK)
« on: April 05, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »
Hi all,

I am a Grade 12 Canadian student who can't decide where to go for university!! I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:
1) Queen's University in Ontario, Canada
FACTORS: I received the Chancellor's Scholarship for $36,000.
OR
2) King's College (KCL) in London, England to study LAW.
FACTORS: At King's, the top 2 or 3 students have the opportunity to study Law for two years at KCL and two years at Columbia in the United States, thereby earning both a law degree from KCL and a JD from Columbia in four years.

I'm really having difficulty deciding between these 2 universities and would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding Where to Go - Queen's vs. King's (UK)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
In determining which school you are going to go to eliminate in your reasoning:

"At King's, the top 2 or 3 students have the opportunity to study Law for two years at KCL and two years at Columbia in the United States, thereby earning both a law degree from KCL and a JD from Columbia in four years"

Predicting placement among the top 2-3 students is not plausible.  If you are amongst the top 2 students at Queen's and have a decent LSAT to begin with you could likely switch to a top U.S or Canadian school if you wished. 

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:08:35 PM »
I currently go to Queen's and am strongly considering Columbia law school right now, so if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.

That being said, go to Queen's for goodness sakes.  You got the Chancellor- you are being PAID to go to one of the best universities in Canada.  That's incredible, think about it!  You're too young to decide on law school right now, and going to King's in London is no guarantee that you'll get into CLS.  Besides, going to Queen's certainly doesn't limit any options!  Plus, Queen's will give you a great education, and is a fun university steeped in tradition.

Good luck.

strawberrypocky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:10:17 PM »
;D Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I am certain I will be one of the top 2 or 3. I just wanted to convey that the KCL/Columbia thing could be a possibility should I choose to go to King's.

If I go to Queen's, I would have to do 4 years of undergrad before moving on to law school....

in any case, thanks for replying so quickly~  :)

strawberrypocky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 02:15:41 PM »
Hi Saja!

Thanks for the quick reply... Since you mentioned it, I actually do have a couple questions for you =) Thank you so much.

1) What program did you take up in Queen's? I applied for English, but I'm not sure whether that's what I want to do and whether that would be an appropriate undergrad degree for a future in Law. Apparently the scholarship will still apply if I choose to change my program, so I'm reconsidering...

2) If you go to CLS, are you planning on returning to Canada to practise? Do you know anything about the process of a "foreign law degree" coming back to Canada (ie. do we have to take an exam or do another year to "convert" the degree?)

Hmm... that's all I can think of for the moment, will probably bug you later, please and thank you ever so much  ;D

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »
Go to Queen's. Being in the top 2 is extremely unlikely, and even if you are, you'd be much younger than all the other students at CLS (read: not drinking age).

Taking a JD back to Canada to work here is not easy, and you'd be well-advised to go to law school in Canada if you wish to practice in Canada.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »
Queen's probably has a stronger rep in Canada than KCL has in England (overall, King's is not among the top 10 or 12 UK schools, although it is pretty strong in law.)  I imagine the tuition at KCL for foreign students is quite expensive, and the thing with Columbia isn't that special because if you are good enough to be among the top 2 students in the program, you are definitely good enough to get into Columbia Law School anyway, you'd just save a couple of years.  The scholarship you have at Queen's makes it a no-brainer, in my opinion, and if you're really in that big a hurry to go to law school, you could do a 3-year general BA, and even complete it in 2 years if you wanted to (not that I would recommend doing so.)

ButImAGilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fight On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 04:48:58 PM »
Since Saja hasn't responded, I'll bite.

If you want to go to a top law school like Columbia DO NOT major in English at Queen's. Seriously, that dept has the worst reputation for being stingy with grades. Any arts dept at Queen's is bad (I actually had a philosophy prof tell our class in 1st year that he reserved A's for "papers of publishable quality" and had never in his entire career given a 90% or higher) but English is just infamous. By all means, if you love English, go for it, but be warned, I absolutely loved English class in high school, but Queen's made me hate the subject within a month of the 100 level course. Just know that here, 65-79 counts as a B, 80-100 is an A. When LSAC calculates your GPA, every B will get you a 3.0, an A a 4.0. Good if you have nothing but A's, but bad every time a B ends up on your transcript (and trust me, they will, unless you do a science degree where your grades won't be subjective).

I know that was just one long rant on the Queen's grading system, but it is something I really wish I had known before I came here. Instead I have spent 4 years saying "I wish I  had gone to [insert UofT, UBC, Dal, Mcmaster, etc etc here]. I know that you are probably thinking that because you are coming in with the Chancellor, grades won't be a problem. One of my best friends at Queen's came in with a pretty hefty scholarship (not sure if it was the chancellor or not) and thought the same thing. She lost her scholarship after the first year.

On the note of coming back to Canada to work...

When Canadians go to US law schools, it is because they want to work in the US. If you want to work in Canada, why on earth would you spend $60 000 / year on a US law degree when you can go to UofT for what, $30 000 CAN? If you really want the option to work in both, there are a couple of schools that offer joint US/Canadian law degrees (I'm thinking of Osgoode/NYU and... is it Ottawa and American?). Just remember that law is one of those degrees that isn't really portable. You learn it in the country you want to practice it in.
A baby Trojan is born...

USC 2010!

ballpoint

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
Consider the easy(relatively)path to accrediatation in Canada,even if in the unfortunate event you fail to make columbia. USA JD=UK LLB(2nd Upper or First Class) for Canadian  accred. purpose.

http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers/guidelines.asp

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:19:13 PM »
I actually did respond, but in a PM.;)

ButImAGilmore is right, it can be hard to get As in certain arts subjects, but it is doable, for sure.  I'm in history, and am by no means a history genius, and I've managed to do ok for myself.  Just take what you like.

And I agree that if you're going to practice in Canada, stay in Canada.  The only reason that I'm going to the States is that is where I plan to settle.:)