Law School Discussion

Poll

I am interested in:

"Hard" IP Law (e.g. Patent Prosecution, Patent Litigation)
11 (55%)
"Soft" IP Law (e.g. Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets)
6 (30%)
Non-IP related fields of Law
3 (15%)
Not Sure Yet
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Patent Law Anybody?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Patent Law Anybody?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 01:29:53 PM »
 ???

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 01:31:20 PM »
blah, yeah I keep hearing how great EE is for job placement.  I'm a chem E so I guess I could have it worse... Maybe the 2 circuits classes we had to take as a chem E will come in handy?  or just wishful thinking...

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 01:47:50 PM »
blah, yeah I keep hearing how great EE is for job placement.  I'm a chem E so I guess I could have it worse... Maybe the 2 circuits classes we had to take as a chem E will come in handy?  or just wishful thinking...

No, Chem E's do very well on their own with Patent boutiques.  You don't need any double E classes to help you out. There are a lot of Chemical patents out there.  They usually look for Chem E's and people who have PhD's in Chemistry.

???

Lol that was greek to me...

Oh, my bad, son.  Yeah, pay no attention to us nerds over here.  Just like Law has its own language, so does engineering.  I just find it funny or ironic rather that some patent firms really scrutinize over the different engineering disciplines but we all take a lot of the same classes, and not only that, but the patent law field usually requires that a lawyer has to handle patents that range over many different scientific backgrounds, not just the one that they got their degree in.  So it doesn't make any sense really why they look for EE's or Chem E's more than others when we're all going to end up doing the same work more or less.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 07:14:23 PM »

it depends.  computer related patents are readily understandable by anyone (tech or non-tech alike).  however, i was reading a few patents from my company which would be extremely difficult to comprehend without a deep specialized tech background.  the irony is a PhD in math(and not engineering) is a better background for understanding these patents. can math guys sit for the patent bar?

Unfortunately no they can't.  It has to be a degree in something like Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, etc.  Or, if you don't have a degree in any of those, you can sit for the patent bar by taking (and passing) the FE exam (Fundamentals of Engineering exam), which is sort of ironic because you would basically have to have an engineering degree in order to pass that thing in the first place.  Or, if you don't have a degree in any of those and you haven't taken the FE, if you can show so many semesters of physics and/or chemistry then you can sit for the patent bar.

Degrees in just straight Math are unfortunately not enough to meet the "technical background" requirement by themselves. 

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
Nice article, thanks. So, I can expect partnership by my fifth year then?  ;D

BTW, the FE is easy. Just buy a prep book and I'll bet that anyone can pass within 3-6 months. Just have some background (any engineering or math).

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »
tag

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 10:01:13 AM »

BTW, the FE is easy. Just buy a prep book and I'll bet that anyone can pass within 3-6 months. Just have some background (any engineering or math).

The FE is easy??  You must be Doogie Howser MD over there or something.  That's like saying it's easy to win the superbowl - anyone can win so long as they make it to the final game. 

I know some pretty intelligent engineers who are practicing right now who still can't pass that doggone test after several tries. I know it depends on the state and the discipline but the passage rate is still no better than about 65% for first time test takers (give or take a few) and ever worse for repeats.

But I guess its relatively more easy to pass the FE than the actual patent bar, since at one point I recall the passage rate for the patent bar a few years ago was somewhere around 40 - 45%, less than half.  Not sure what it is right now.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »

The FE is easy??  You must be Doogie Howser MD over there or something.  That's like saying it's easy to win the superbowl - anyone can win so long as they make it to the final game. 

I know some pretty intelligent engineers who are practicing right now who still can't pass that doggone test after several tries. I know it depends on the state and the discipline but the passage rate is still no better than about 65% for first time test takers (give or take a few) and ever worse for repeats.

But I guess its relatively more easy to pass the FE than the actual patent bar, since at one point I recall the passage rate for the patent bar a few years ago was somewhere around 40 - 45%, less than half.  Not sure what it is right now.

Seriously? A friend of mine forgot his calculator, didn't bother to borrow one, finished way before anyone, and still passed. Pretty much the only people who didn't pass with my group were the people who, well, shouldn't have. I thought the test was skewed for ME's and CE's, though. The general portion was stupid.

BTW, I don't know anyone who actually studied. My studying consisted of literally flipping through the book they provide for about 10 seconds.

latenitesession

• My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 09:58:12 PM »
tag/bump.

Very happy I'm going into IP.