Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What happens to people not employed at graduation?  (Read 2404 times)

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
What happens to people not employed at graduation?
« on: April 05, 2007, 02:40:38 AM »
At some schools, the rate can be as high as 50%. What do those people do?

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to people not employed at graduation?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:59:56 AM »
Study for the bar, pass this second time around, and try the job search again?

Stay home with the kids?

Become a "self-employed" ambulance-chaser?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 04:49:20 AM »
Or kill themselves because they just spent 100k on a toilet degree.

The real answer is most not employed at graduation work on passing the bar and getting a job.  Those that can't find a lawyer job sell tvs at Best Buy and probably average close to the same per hour as those working 80 hours a week in BIGLAW after commissions.

Wow I don't know what got into me.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »

Stay home with the kids?

....2nd time around??  What do you mean?  The lack of employment had graduation has to do with the school and doesn't indicate at all really that someone failed the bar exam and is now having to take it a 2nd time.

Top schools: EVERYONE is able to get a summer associate position typically...they get this their 2nd year, then, before they even finish their third year they have a full-time job in the bag and the company pays for your bar exam, expenses, etc.  At the top schools, even if you don't get a summer associate position, almost everyone will get an offer their 3rd year from On-campus interviewing and thus, same path then.  This is why you have in excess of 95% of students employed at graduation.

Lower schools (which I will be attending): only top 25-30% are able to gain interviews for summer associates positions.  With full-time recruiting for your last year, only a bit more maybe have access to OCI...the rest are forced to graduate with no job and instead must pass the bar exam (paying the $$1000s for it themselves), then go to websites, headhunters, etc. and send out resumes hoping to get a job.  Thus, this is the "9 months after graduation" statistic.

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »
How much does taking the bar cost?  I'm clueless.  How much are the prep courses and how much is the actual test?

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »
How much does taking the bar cost?  I'm clueless.  How much are the prep courses and how much is the actual test?

Haha just too much.  Thus, why firms will pay for all the expenses.  From my understanding, the registration fee alone for the exam iteslf is almost $800.  Then of course a prep course, material etc. has to chalk up another few grand.  So I mean, we're thinking almost $3,0000 just to pass the bar haha??  And what makes matters worse is you are "unemployed" pretty much, so no income coming out but 3k just down the tube for the exam??

It's a very tough situation...as I talk to people at Rutgers-Newark, many are in that naive camp of thinking, "oh you worry tooo much relax" and the just presume that getting a JD, like a MD, assures one of a job and $$$.  But the reality is: as this school and the lower tiered schools in NY/NJ, if you are not top 25-30% of your class, you will not be selected for on-campus interviewing for summer associate NOR full-time positions.  Not being selected for these means you will not have a job upon graduation and thus will be paying for all the bar exam stuff yourself.  Then, once you pass it, you BEGIN your job search by just sending out resumes, internet boards, contacts etc.

One cannot overstate the benefit of landing a summer associate gig at a firm you hope to work full-time...the way it will make your life easier not only in terms of career, but also financially, effort-wise cannot be reiterated enough.

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 03:25:29 PM »
Cost the actual exam varies wildly. Michigan was 100 and Florida was 1800.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:01:11 PM »
At some schools, the rate can be as high as 50%. What do those people do?

They study for the Bar, and if they pass, they usually find jobs within a couple of months. It sucks because since they aren't hired by a firm before they take the Bar, they are responsible for their own test and prep-course expenses.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »

Stay home with the kids?

full time students don't take the bar while they are still in LS. thus, both the employed and unemployed students who graduate in may should be sitting for the july bar (their first).
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »
At SLU's ASW they mentioned that the school helps people get financial aid for taking the bar.

And at KU's they said that career services will help you after graduation if you need it. I would think that a lot of schools would be that way....