Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Props to Non-Trads  (Read 4877 times)

MachuPicchu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Props to Non-Trads
« on: April 05, 2007, 02:03:49 AM »
Hi Everyone

I don't know if I numerically qualify as a non-trad (is that 30+? If so, not yet) but I've been out of undergrad and worked/racked up other degrees for the past several years. Your discussion boards on LSD are refreshing, enlightening, entertaining and informative. You all deserve continuous props for your integration of career/jobs, school, major life changes and family committments (whether they be to family of birth/parents, SOs, kids, or pets). And most of you seem to have learned a thing or two about internet etiquette.

Your examples are inspirational to me and likely to a lot of other people. An extra shout-out to anyone over 50 and to 0Ls taking care of older family members.

The kids over on the "regular" Pre-Law boards would do well to sit in on your discussions here.

Good luck on your law school careers and other pursuits. We will all need it, but I'll bet if there's anyone who can show the world how law school is done, it's the non-trads.

Sorry if there is another post on this that I missed, but write your favorite thing about being a numerical or honorary non-trad:

Me: expertise in another field; bring a new perspective

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Props to Non-Trads
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:17:11 PM »
All of the people that I have really helped in life and death. Had I gone straight to LS instead of nursing, I would have missed out on alot. Also all of my knowledge that will help me WIN the med-mal cases  ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »
All of the people that I have really helped in life and death. Had I gone straight to LS instead of nursing, I would have missed out on alot. Also all of my knowledge that will help me WIN the med-mal cases  ;D

u gonna suez the doktors?

Just the bad ones  ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:30:56 AM »

Seriously, I think law school would've been wasted on me at 22.  

I agree...in fact I probably would have dropped out. I didn't have the strength and perpecitve I have now.

Also, I've had some great jobs since UG and I wouldn't trade the experiences. I've been able to travel all over the world (and US) on someone else's dime, so that, too, has been great.  Now, though, it's time to finally go to LS. I'm done playing, and now know what I want to be when I grow up.

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:42:46 AM »

Seriously, I think law school would've been wasted on me at 22.  

I agree...in fact I probably would have dropped out. I didn't have the strength and perpecitve I have now.

Also, I've had some great jobs since UG and I wouldn't trade the experiences. I've been able to travel all over the world (and US) on someone else's dime, so that, too, has been great.  Now, though, it's time to finally go to LS. I'm done playing, and now know what I want to be when I grow up.

It was my job that solidified my desire to pursue a career in law.

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:51:59 AM »
My favorite thing is that I already know what I like and dislike to do for work and how to read employers, so I'm less likely to wind up stuck in a crappy job.

Amen!

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 12:40:17 AM »
For me.. it's all about knowing who I am and what I really want to do now, and having the maturity to realize the importance of it all.

I can say with certainty I'd have failed out of law school. Grad school was a huge mistake for me... law school would have been even worse!
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Ranx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 04:32:01 PM »
As an undergrad I was already a veteran. I had some unfortunate family issues that made it difficult to be as good a student as I should have been for that one year, and I inherited some responsibilities that made it difficult to go to school full time after that, so I worked in construction and saved my money and went to school when I could, and it took me nine years to earn my degree. By that time I was embedded in the construction business and I continued to work as a contractor. I still do.
Law school is what I wanted to do when I came to college. I thought that the time for it had come and gone,  but now I have the time, my kids are grown and I have never lost interest so I'm going. The best thing is that I'm finally getting to do what I've always wanted to do.

North Dakota Law '10

AZ ERMD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 02:48:28 AM »
For me, its the fact that no matter what happens in law school, I will still walk out with something the young pups don't have....an MD degree.  Laugh at my black socks and bermuda shorts, my roll-a-long bookbag suitcase, call me gramps, etc.  I will still have forgotten more about medicine than they will ever know. And that might just help ME to win those med-mal cases (aimed at rn to jd) ;D

-Gramps
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

-O. Wilde

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 09:40:14 PM »
1. Perspective over what is important to me and what isn't
2. That I didn't waste my youth STUDYING!   ;)
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn