Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Health Insurance?  (Read 966 times)

Boogles04

• View Profile
Health Insurance?
« on: April 05, 2007, 12:50:09 AM »
I'm going to be unemployed for two months before law school starts in the fall.  Does anyone have any reccomendations for short-term health insurance?  I'm going to get all my check-ups done before my current insurance runs out, so I just need something with a low premium and high deductible in case of a serious emergency.

Thanks!

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: Health Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:54:22 AM »
COBRA is typically a choice for this.  Your work might even refer you to them.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:02:27 AM »
I second the COBRA recommendation.  I went ahead and got on Aetna's individual plan (I'm unemployed at the moment) only because I didn't feel like switching again once I'm at school...but if you are only going without for 2 months, COBRA is the way to go.
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

Boogles04

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:39:24 AM »
Thanks, but I wasn't working in the US this year so I don't think I'm eligible for COBRA.  Any other reccomendations?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Short Term should do the trick.

Just go to the Blue Cross website of the state you'll be attending LS in and they should have something for you. You'll need an address that's in the state though.

Also, I think Assurant has some pretty sweet plans designed for students that would be worth looking into.

dcollins

• Tina come get your ham
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:06:11 AM »
Does anyone know if medicaid plans apply to us poor law students?  My school has an extremely low quality plan that is mandatory unless an individual plan is purchased.  Thanks!
"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."
"I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career."
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off."
- Gloria Steinem

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:08:37 AM »
Does anyone know if medicaid plans apply to us poor law students?  My school has an extremely low quality plan that is mandatory unless an individual plan is purchased.  Thanks!

I'm not an expert on this but your university plan is probably better than what you could get with Medicaid since not so many doctors even accept it.

Ipsa Dixit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »
You might consider a high deductible plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA).  It will have low premiums, but as the name suggests, a very high deductible.  I don't get insurance through my employer and the premiums on my last individual policy went up too much for me to continue to afford it so I switched to the high deductible plan.  With the lower premium, I can stick money in my HSA on a regular basis and even when I add that, it is still less than my previous premiums.  It's probably only worth looking into if you are in good health because you will pay out of pocket until you reach the deductible for the year so if you have regular treatments or prescriptions, it will be very expensive.  In addition, only do it if you have the discipline to regularly make deposits into your HSA.  Maybe not an ideal solution, but better than no insurance and maybe better than what your school offers depending on your health.

I find health insurance really difficult to navigate, but I went through an insurance broker and she really helped me (I had all kinds of problems getting my info released from my doctor's office to the insurance company, god knows why, but it took a couple months and my broker kept on top of it for me). You might see if friends or family can recommend a good broker to you.
'tis herself!

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:39:02 AM »
I work in a brokerage firm. I handle all the individual policies.

Basically, with health insurance, you either pay for it on the front end in premiums, or when you have a big claim.

If you want coverage for preventive care and prescriptions, it's going to cost you. You can reduce the cost by getting a high deductible. You pay less in premiums, and you'd never know your deductible was high if you're only going in for annual checkups etc.

Another option is a plan that either makes you pay the whole office visit outright until you hit the ded., or one that only covers accident & injury. I recommend the coverage in the above paragraph if you can afford it, or this if you want to save some money.

It does suck to go from an employer-sponsored plan to paying for it on your own.

dcollins

• Tina come get your ham
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »

I'm not an expert on this but your university plan is probably better than what you could get with Medicaid since not so many doctors even accept it.

Thanks.  I'm not sure if that's true though - all hospitals have to accept it, and that extends to their smaller clinics.  Plus Medicaid covers dental and vision - two things my school's plan does not.  I'm surprised more grad students don't explore this option - that's why I'm thinking students arent eligible...
"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."
"I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career."
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off."
- Gloria Steinem