• View Profile
    • Email
Re: American U - Financial Aid
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 12:09:04 PM »
LATE?!??!

Go slap somebody!

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 01:17:47 PM »
I was also expecting at least SOME need or merit-based aid.  No dice.  They only offered two federal loans that don't even make up half of what the need would be for the year.  Better schools have offered me better aid, so I think I'll pas on American.  It's too bad, I really wanted to go to law school in DC.  Oh well... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 03:41:18 PM »
Stupid question, guys...but how do I log on to my.american.edu. What do I use for the username and pw? Thanks! ;D

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »
american does not offer work study. it sucks that they dont give a lot of merit aid, but theyre not being stingy-- we've got a brand new building and weak endowment, so theres just not a lot to give

also, it would most certainly show up in your financial aid application next year, as you have to show your tax return (unless you tutor or babysit or do something else off the books... which is tax fraud) WCL is pretty serious about this rule, which applies to all schools but is not always enforced. another way of it getting back to you is if the school finds out, they could decline to endorse you for the fitness part of the bar

not trying to be a jerk, but i ran into some problems this year so im just lettin ya know :)

JJS

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 04:46:01 PM »
american does not offer work study. it sucks that they dont give a lot of merit aid, but theyre not being stingy-- we've got a brand new building and weak endowment, so theres just not a lot to give

also, it would most certainly show up in your financial aid application next year, as you have to show your tax return (unless you tutor or babysit or do something else off the books... which is tax fraud) WCL is pretty serious about this rule, which applies to all schools but is not always enforced. another way of it getting back to you is if the school finds out, they could decline to endorse you for the fitness part of the bar

not trying to be a jerk, but i ran into some problems this year so im just lettin ya know :)

Do you think American's financial situation is going to improve in the next few years? I mean if they threw a little more money around, they could probably rocket up the rankings  (if they wanted.)

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »
Wow. So i logged into the site, and it said that NONE of my finaid documents have been received. Strange, because according to the FAFSA website, my SAR was submitted January 22, 2007. Need Access was submitted March 1, 2007. WTF?!

kates

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 02:02:43 AM »
Wow. So i logged into the site, and it said that NONE of my finaid documents have been received. Strange, because according to the FAFSA website, my SAR was submitted January 22, 2007. Need Access was submitted March 1, 2007. WTF?!

Mine used to say that too (it still might) but I submitted on time and got my package a couple days ago. Try clicking on "accept my package" or whatever and then click on "2007-2008 school year" to see if your award is there. If not, try emailing them.

I mean if they threw a little more money around, they could probably rocket up the rankings  (if they wanted.)

Credited!

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 11:06:43 AM »
I'm not sure how true that is. Ranking is absolutely the number one thing students consider when choosing a school (which is why admissions deans have to play the numbers game even when they dont want to), so throwing a little money at someone in at a better school (because those are the people we would need to get in order to shoot up in the rankings) wouldnt do very much good. Theres also the problem that we are SO far away from GW that it seems almost a non-issue. Even shooting up big time would not bring us close to top25. Just my feelings on the subject.

That said, WCL is awesome at what it does- int'l law and clinical programs, and having a really supportive atmosphere. In theory students here would be more competitive since not everyone is going to get the job they want, but its just not true.

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »
Christiney - I have to disagree with you.  Take a look at the money that Temple is throwing around on lawschoolnumbers.com.  They are attracting students with numbers approaching GW's (165+ / 3.6+) with near-full rides.  GMU does the same thing and this no doubt catapulted them past AU over the past few years.  AU should emulate this approach, even if little by little.  For example, why not let in 10-15 rock stars for free?  Spread them out over the sections, it's an additional 3 people per section.  This would cost AU nothing.  The only cost AU would absorb with these students is an additional legal writing instructor, and what are they paid, 5k per semester? If you work in admissions, which you may have mentioned in a previous post, I strongly urge you to broach this topic with them.

As an aside, this poster agrees that AU would climb in the rankings by taking this approach.  AU is an excellent school that offers opportunities in DC that are on par with Georgetown and GW.  It has really carved a niche for itself as a top school in clinical training and international law, and if you look at firm websites, AU grads are very well represented.  It just REALLY needs to work on making law school a more affordable venture.

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 01:17:54 PM »
Christiney - I have to disagree with you.  Take a look at the money that Temple is throwing around on lawschoolnumbers.com.  They are attracting students with numbers approaching GW's (165+ / 3.6+) with near-full rides.  GMU does the same thing and this no doubt catapulted them past AU over the past few years.  AU should emulate this approach, even if little by little.  For example, why not let in 10-15 rock stars for free?  Spread them out over the sections, it's an additional 3 people per section.  This would cost AU nothing.  The only cost AU would absorb with these students is an additional legal writing instructor, and what are they paid, 5k per semester? If you work in admissions, which you may have mentioned in a previous post, I strongly urge you to broach this topic with them.

As an aside, this poster agrees that AU would climb in the rankings by taking this approach.  AU is an excellent school that offers opportunities in DC that are on par with Georgetown and GW.  It has really carved a niche for itself as a top school in clinical training and international law, and if you look at firm websites, AU grads are very well represented.  It just REALLY needs to work on making law school a more affordable venture.

Cheers to the poster above