Law School Discussion

American U - Financial Aid

kates

Re: American U - Financial Aid
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 12:29:24 AM »
Tag.

Also, AmericanLaw10, nice to see you over here!  ;)

Oh, and also, anybody get a Perkins loan that they know of? I have a subsidized and an unsubsidized federal loan listed, which I was told in an email are both Staffords. Why no Perkins??

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 12:34:38 AM »
I'm right there with you brotha.  I think it's ridiculous that they offer up to $15k for FT students, and not even $5-10k for PT students.  In essence, some of the FT kids are going to WCL for cheaper than some of us PT kids.  If you ask me, that's bull! 

Oh well...I'm still going and I'll female dog about it until the day I graduate - and then probably after  :(

:D :D

kates

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 02:21:28 AM »
I know you can get a Dean's Fellowship as a 2L and 3L to work as a research assistant for a prof for, I believe $6,000/yr. I don't know about traditional work study, and I don't know about 1L. HTH.

JJS

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
Just got an email from American. They basically said "Here is your 1st year financial aid package: You got loans."

In some ways it hurt to be married and a full time student. My wife working while I go to school doesn't make me nearly as needy as single full time, independent students. So I shouldn't be surprised, but I guess there goes any chance of buying a house for the next few years.  :(

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 09:44:23 AM »
do they offer work study?

According to the law school regulations, full-time 1ls are prohibited from working.  Although I did not plan to work my first year, I still would like to have this option open.  Did anyone else know this?

jusTTT

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
Just got an email from American. They basically said "Here is your 1st year financial aid package: You got loans."

In some ways it hurt to be married and a full time student. My wife working while I go to school doesn't make me nearly as needy as single full time, independent students. So I shouldn't be surprised, but I guess there goes any chance of buying a house for the next few years.  :(

I haven't gotten an email [or anything in the mail] yet... does that mean I'm not getting any financial aid?  I'm starting to get worred b/c at ASD on March 23rd they said that we'd be getting out fin aid packages "any day now".  2 weeks later and still no info...

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »
do they offer work study?

According to the law school regulations, full-time 1ls are prohibited from working.  Although I did not plan to work my first year, I still would like to have this option open.  Did anyone else know this?
The actual ABA rule is:

ABA Standard 304 (f): "A student may not engage in employment for more than 20 hours per week in any semester in which the student is enrolled in more than 12 class hours."

But many law schools just say no work at all. They effectively have no way of knowing (aside from it showing up in your financial aid app the next year, maybe ;)) but I'd probably check first before doing otherwise, even if it's just a school rule.

I haven't gotten an email [or anything in the mail] yet... does that mean I'm not getting any financial aid?  I'm starting to get worred b/c at ASD on March 23rd they said that we'd be getting out fin aid packages "any day now".  2 weeks later and still no info...
I didn't get an email either, but I just checked online (someone provided instructions above). Just loans for me too.

Oh, and also, anybody get a Perkins loan that they know of? I have a subsidized and an unsubsidized federal loan listed, which I was told in an email are both Staffords. Why no Perkins??
My impression from undergrad (where I also didn't get a Perkins loan) was that they were very rare and only for those with extreme need. Not sure about that though.

jusTTT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »
Sooo it turns out that American mistakenly labeled my application as "late" and hasn't even reviewed it yet.  It makes me nervous that they were this careless...

Has anyone else had problems like this?

JJS

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 11:08:44 AM »

My email said it was put on the website today. Check my.american.edu or whatever it is to see if your package is up yet. Otherwise, give them a call or send them an email.

kates

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 02:08:03 PM »
My impression from undergrad (where I also didn't get a Perkins loan) was that they were very rare and only for those with extreme need. Not sure about that though.

Hmm. I received a Perkins in undergrad. And my financial situation has only declined since then.  ;)

Sooo it turns out that American mistakenly labeled my application as "late" and hasn't even reviewed it yet.  It makes me nervous that they were this careless...

:( Wow.