Law School Discussion

diversity statement opener

!@#$%

• View Profile
Re: diversity statement opener
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2004, 01:55:04 PM »
Ok, here's a temporary filler until I can find something else....

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2004, 01:59:11 PM »
Ha ha!  That works; it's gender neutral at least.

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2004, 02:05:45 PM »
OK, since I can't be Superman I'll be Wonder Woman for a while.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2004, 02:10:17 PM »
Ooh, that's excellent.

DOWNY

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2004, 06:44:40 PM »
Get rid of passive voice in the 1st sentence.

ok, what the hell is passive voice?  i keep hearing this and have no idea what it is.

Don't know the technical English definition, but it's basically when you describe an action in a removed or passive way, rather than a direct and active way. For example, the first sentence should be the following instead:

Phrases such as “the war against terrorism,” “the axis of evil,” and “you’re either with us or against us” ARE commonplace in the media of the post September 11th United States of America. 

Notice use of "ARE" instead of "HAVE BECOME". This is better because you are directly and actively talking about the action rather than referring to it indirectly and passively through the use of "have become".

What's up dumbass? Remember me? My name is DOWNY. Back when you called yourself dta you said you were going to write a program to ignore my posts. I continually insisted that you are way too stupid for such a feat. So, where's the program?

@#!* you.

Love,
DOWNY

DOWNY

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2004, 06:45:40 PM »
That last post is directed at shrb, aka dta and no one else. Sorry for any confusion.

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2004, 09:58:32 AM »
I'm Persian :)

You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition, so it should read "...yet that is the situation in which I find myself."  If you think that sounds awkward, reword it.  But the way I have written it is grammatically correct.

It's not gramatically incorrect to end a sentence in a preposition.  Stylistically, it's arguable, but not as a matter of grammer.

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2004, 10:02:42 AM »
Get rid of passive voice in the 1st sentence.

ok, what the hell is passive voice?  i keep hearing this and have no idea what it is.

Passive voice is when the verb that recieves action is the subject of the sentence.  For instance:

"The house is being built" is in the passive voice rather than
"I am building the house," which is in the active voice.  The passive voice allows you to avoid having to specify who or what is acting, and focus just on what is being acted upon.  This can be useful, but tends to get overdone.  Basically any time you see the construction "is/are being X" see if you can reword the sentence.

UPDATE:  Uh, I guess I didn't need to explain passive/active voice after kg clarified.  Oh well.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2004, 10:03:47 AM »

You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition, so it should read "...yet that is the situation in which I find myself."  If you think that sounds awkward, reword it.  But the way I have written it is grammatically correct.

It's not gramatically incorrect to end a sentence in a preposition.  Stylistically, it's arguable, but not as a matter of grammer.

Uh, are you sure about that?  I'm going to wait for confirmation from Lexy since I'm not positive about this, but I'm fairly confident that that's an actual grammar rule.

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2004, 10:10:34 AM »

Uh, are you sure about that?  I'm going to wait for confirmation from Lexy since I'm not positive about this, but I'm fairly confident that that's an actual grammar rule.

Positive.  As long as there is an object of the preposition it's gramatically correct.

For instance:

The sentence "Where is my wallet at?" is grammatically incorrect (though the problem isn't the position of the word "at," it's that it's present in the sentence at all) while the sentence "What do you need to go to the store for?" is technically correct.

Bonus points to anyone who knows where the assertion about end sentences in prepositions being grammatically incorrect came from.