Law School Discussion

Laptops - do we really need to buy new ones?

Laptops - do we really need to buy new ones?
« on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »
My laptop meets all of the requirements that Seattle sent me. That said, they really seem to think I need to purchase one from Dell. Is this in any way worthwhile?

Re: Laptops - do we really need to buy new ones?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »
Unless they require you to buy a Dell, do what you want to do.  If you're happy with your current one and it meets the specs, you should stick with it -- you're already paying enough for school, don't let them push you into buying a computer you don't want.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:35:50 PM »
They probably have a deal with dell, don't get one if you don't want one.  Dells suck anyways.

.zone.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »
My laptop meets all of the requirements that Seattle sent me. That said, they really seem to think I need to purchase one from Dell. Is this in any way worthwhile?

Well, if you're thinking about a Dell, I'd say definitely keep your current one.  :D

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »

Well, if you're thinking about a Dell, I'd say definitely keep your current one.  :D

zone, you and I are on the same wavelength...

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:40:05 PM »
are they giving you one or telling you need to purchase one? I know Mercer gives you a Dell during 1L and you keep it after you graduate.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »

zone, you and I are on the same wavelength...

I was going to say this in my original post, but I didn't want to offend any Dell-lovers (are there any out there, though?)...

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
I just say it because i've watched several of my roommates female dog about all the problems with their dell

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 06:23:48 AM »
Nope, you don't HAVE to buy a new one. Just realize that law school will place certain stress on you and your computer. It will become an extension of you almost with as much time as you'll spend with it. Just make sure that whatever you got, you really REALLY like it.

Oingo

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 06:32:38 AM »
Naah- there are quite a few students in my school who don't have new models and they seem to be doing fine. Plus a Dell- my school pushes it as well and I know quite a few people who already have serious problems with battery life, among other things.