Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dartmouth U  (Read 783 times)

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dartmouth U
« on: April 04, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »
What the @#!* kind of motto is that? The voice of one crying in the wilderness??

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Re: Dartmouth U
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:57:39 PM »
What the @#!* kind of motto is that? The voice of one crying in the wilderness??

Dartmouth was founded with the intention of it being an outpost-school to educate the Native Americans... but it was run by New England protestants, so they decided to educate rich white people instead.

BUT, that probably explains the motto.
VIP.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:26:30 PM »
The motto is a reference to the Bible's John the Baptist as well as to the college's location on what was once the frontier of European settlement.

It's also improperly translated from the Latin. Technically is "The voice of one crying in the wilderness."
Air Force JAG Corps

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:45:07 PM »
The motto is a reference to the Bible's John the Baptist as well as to the college's location on what was once the frontier of European settlement.

It's also improperly translated from the Latin. Technically is "The voice of one crying in the wilderness."

That still doesn't explain why the school's motto has no meaning.  Usually you get something like "truth", or "let there be light", the meanings of which are fairly obvious in an academic context...but this one has no meaning.  The least they could have done was made it like "educating one redskin (yes, i'm using this word on purpose) at a time".

splitsmcgee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:31:20 PM »
How does the "voice of one" not reference the usual platonic ideal truth thing? How does the "wilderness" not reference the platonic cave thing.  I personally would have said let's civilize us some savages, but the whole latin thing has got gravitas.
University of Minnesota '10 --Oh Doncha' know

spytfyre1945

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:12:48 PM »
Dartmouth U is a make believe place in your own imagination.  If you are refering to Dartmouth, its Dartmouth College and we like it like that, along with our motto. Thanks.

drv208

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 12:36:03 AM »
It's a biblical quote referring, I believe, to Jesus. Thus the statement about truth etc is implicit. It's actually not that bad a motto. Refers to both the civilizing mission, the religious motivation, and the physical location of the school. contrast this to the state of Michigan's motto. It's "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circum spice" literally, "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you!" I mean, there are definitely worse.

As far at the Dartmouth College thing, stop lying, you have a goddamned Med School. you're a university. Get over it.

"Dartmouth College is a private, coeducational university located in Hanover, New Hampshire, in the United States. It is a member of the Ivy League and is one of the nine colonial colleges founded before the American Revolution.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmouth_College

drv208

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:38:42 AM »
These things are actually hilarious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_mottos

I kind of like Maine's "I Direct!" what the hell does that mean?

EDIT: Also Maryland's "Deeds of a Man, Words of a Woman!" Awesome.