Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone borrowing the entire cost of tuition?  (Read 1886 times)

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone borrowing the entire cost of tuition?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
if i continue at the same rate for 3 years i will be doing $120k+
also when i start law school i will prob have about $20k of undergrad loans
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010!

lawxtina

• AOL Instant Messenger - sweetxtina03
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 04:51:56 PM »
i will probably borrow the full amount...dont know yet :P
152/3.78

Texas Tech School of Law 1L

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »
$150+

at least its not credit card debt.
3L

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
  • What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »
Well the lower debt is why I chose a state school.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »
yes.  but i will be going to a lower ranked school to save some money,  but i dont have a t14 acceptance in my pocket.
Princeton Law 2010

indomitable

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »
I will have a total debtload after law school of $150,000++ even with some scholarship assistance (and including some undergrad loan debt as well). I had the opportunity to go to the leading school in my home state (AL, if you're interested) with a full tuition scholarship+++. I would have had significantly less debt, but ultimately I will have more options without having to finish at the top of my class by attending the best school possible regardless of debt. So, IMO, it is definitely worth it to acquire a higher debtload if you desire more mobility (or money) in your career without having to be in the top 10% or so of your class at the lesser school. Then again, if public interest is what you want to do with your JD, then the higher debtload might preclude you from practicing in that area for years until you have worked your debt off doing something that you might hate. In the end, I think it's about your personal preferences for your career and your (perceived) future ability to offset the high debt with the type of job that you desire.

irvineizle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
The worst part about taking all the debt is the Interest on the loans which starts at the first disbursement.

Anyone know how to increase the Subsidized loan contribution instead of getting the unsubsidized?

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 07:29:12 PM »
I will have a total debtload after law school of $150,000++ even with some scholarship assistance (and including some undergrad loan debt as well). I had the opportunity to go to the leading school in my home state (AL, if you're interested) with a full tuition scholarship+++. I would have had significantly less debt, but ultimately I will have more options without having to finish at the top of my class by attending the best school possible regardless of debt. So, IMO, it is definitely worth it to acquire a higher debtload if you desire more mobility (or money) in your career without having to be in the top 10% or so of your class at the lesser school. Then again, if public interest is what you want to do with your JD, then the higher debtload might preclude you from practicing in that area for years until you have worked your debt off doing something that you might hate. In the end, I think it's about your personal preferences for your career and your (perceived) future ability to offset the high debt with the type of job that you desire.

I hope this higher ranked school is a T14.
Princeton Law 2010

neohawk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »
   What I mean is this: I just graduated from college and none of the law schools I've been admitted to have offered me a significant amount of financial aid. It will all be loans for me. Now, I've been accepted to some Top 20 schools, but I'll be looking at 135K in debt by the time I get out!  :o             

Is this even worth it? Is anyone else facing a similar situation?
I am in same situation. I might have more debt to pay than you.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »
The worst part about taking all the debt is the Interest on the loans which starts at the first disbursement.

Anyone know how to increase the Subsidized loan contribution instead of getting the unsubsidized?

The subsidized and unsubsidized are set in stone.  After that is GradPLUS the rest of the way
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?