Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Trying to take a guess at my chances based on LSN data at this point..  (Read 585 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
So I've seen multiple acceptances into the PT at SMU (I applied FT/PT both) with the same index as me ( 2.8 ) and several with an index at 2.9.  I know index isn't everything, but if these folks were accepted (some of them have subsequently withdrawn) then my numbers must not be too far out of range.  They're less of a split than me, but I think that could be said of just about everyone.

When you start seeing acceptances at around the same index as you have, and your LOR's/PS are good in the opinion of those who have read them - are the chances good?  I really want to keep my hopes up but it's April 3rd and I went complete in December.  SMU is slow, blah blah blah - I know.  Just trying to keep a handle on my expectations so I don't hang myself if I get rejected after getting my hopes up really high.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated!

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I tried to guess my chances based on lsn data. People with lower numbers than me got accepted into schools where I was rejected and got into much higher ranked schools than I did. So it doesn't guarantee you will be accepted. But that being said I think you can still prob feel really good about your chances.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think your chances are good, but you might not hear for a couple of months.  Make sure you sent a LOCI!

LSN is probably not a good measure for SMU this year though, otherwise their class size would be tiny and all their accepts would be at other schools.

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Make sure you sent a LOCI!

Yea, I did.  The day after I was deferred. :) 

Trying to stay on top of this since the school is local to me and it's the only one I applied to.  Just don't really know what more I can do.  If I get rejected this year the only thing I can really do is re-take the LSAT one last time and try to break 170 - the LSAC GPA policies just piss me right off.  I'd go get an MBA or something to reverse my GPA trend but from everything I've heard it really doesn't matter for LS admissions.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I know we got into this in the last thread, but SMU is moving very, very slow this year.  They are probably waiting for all the autoadmits from December/January to withdraw, as their deposit was due April 1.

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Yea, my situation is drastically different from yours in that I only applied to SMU so their speed of admission is irrelevant other than my ulcers.  I mainly want to figure out if I should really start looking forward to going to school in august or if I should chill out on it to avoid serious disappointment - the fact that I'm browsing this board probably rules that out though.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Based on their part time class last year, I would say that you will more than likely be accepted.  As long as you emphasized your work experience and addressed your grade issue in your PS and LOCI, it would be silly for SMU not to let you into their PT program.  These part time programs were designed for students like you, it is a shame they have simply become everyones back door into a better school.

katrines

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So I've seen multiple acceptances into the PT at SMU (I applied FT/PT both) with the same index as me ( 2.8 ) and several with an index at 2.9.  I know index isn't everything, but if these folks were accepted (some of them have subsequently withdrawn) then my numbers must not be too far out of range.  They're less of a split than me, but I think that could be said of just about everyone.

When you start seeing acceptances at around the same index as you have, and your LOR's/PS are good in the opinion of those who have read them - are the chances good?  I really want to keep my hopes up but it's April 3rd and I went complete in December. SMU is slow, blah blah blah - I know.  Just trying to keep a handle on my expectations so I don't hang myself if I get rejected after getting my hopes up really high.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated!

Amen to the bolded part! I'm in the same boat with BU...tons and tons of people with lower index #s were accepted ages ago, yet I haven't heard anything. Earlier in the game, I felt really confident but sadly I think it's unlikely at this point since it's sooo late.