Law School Discussion

American v. Case Western

American v. Case Western
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:50:46 AM »
Hey there,
I'm kind of in a last minute crunch in deciding between law schools.  I think I have it narrowed down to American and Case Western (was somewhat considering Northeastern and Miami but think I've eliminated those).  Also wait listed at BC, Maryland, WashStLouis.  I really don't know exactly what area I want to practice in or where I want to live after law school.  I'm pretty sure though I want to work BigLaw or in-house counsel for a corporation. Any suggestions in choosing between these two schools, or a school in general. Financially, Case is giving me a decent scholarship, nearly half, whereas American isn't giving me much financially aside from a small grant.  Thanks for any assistance you guys have!

Re: American v. Case Western
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »
Without knowing what kind of law you want to get into or where you want to practice, it seems as if the most important things to consider would be cost, starting salary, job placement, and ease of finding a job outside the schools region.  According to the new US News numbers (take them for what they are worth):

Case
median starting salary: 85,000
east north central region: 60%
% employed after 9 months: 98.1%

American
median starting salary: 80,000
south atlantic region: 70%
% employed after 9 months: 97.8

Unfortunately, all the numbers are pretty much the same.  But if case is going to be significantly cheaper then I suppose I would recommend going there.  However, if you think you are going to be stuck in the region where you go to school, D.C. seems to be a much nicer place to live than Cleveland.  The two are so close statistically that it doesn't seem like you can go wrong either way, if you've visited, go with the one who got the better feel for. 

A couple other things to consider, over the past few years Case has been slightly dropping in the US News Rankings while American seems to be moving up (if rankings matter to you).  Check out their alumni base (how large, where located) also.  I'm also considering Case right now (it's either going to be case or kent for me) and I have to say that I haven't been impressed with their admissions people, not very helpful.  But I'm trying not to hold that against the school.

Re: American v. Case Western
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »
Not that it matters much, but American isn't rising in the rankings.  Both Case and American dropped a few spots this year.