Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgia State and Atlanta  (Read 1052 times)

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Georgia State and Atlanta
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »
Okay...

I need to decide between Penn State and GA State (I'm still waiting to hear from 7 other schools...but with seat deposits coming up...these are currently my only 2 choices)...

But my problem is that I don't know much about GSU outside of their website (not too good a source of info.)  I don't have the means or the time to visit the campus before August...so...with that said, here are my questions:

Does anyone live in Atlanta and can tell me some +/- about the city?
Anyone considering GSU and why?
COL in Atlanta?

I've visited the Penn State campus, and because of the transitional building and the location (Carlisle), it's not a top choice of mine.  Not to mention, I have no desire to live in the PA/NJ/NY area after graduation.

I would like to live in the VA/NC/SC/ and possibly GA region after graduation.  GSU is cheaper than Penn State (as far as tuition costs) but I don't know enough about the school itself.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

hgolightly

• View Profile
Re: Georgia State and Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:36 PM »
Sounds like Ga State might be the place for you, if you want to work in the South. Don't have the statistics off hand but I'd bet it places much better than Penn State in the South and in the Atlanta area.

Not too familiar with the GSU law school but I know that the institution as a whole has been improving markedly over the past 10-15 years. Once they put in dorms it started to become much more of a real campus (it historically was more of a commuter school). Of course, that mainly affects undergrads but I think just the fact of having a vibrant community around, more facilities, etc. would lift all boats.

FWIW I think the GSU law school was recently included on Vault's 'underrated law schools' list - suggesting that it's relatively highly regarded among practicing attorneys, etc.

As for Atlanta, it can be a fun city. Whether you are interested in nightlife, arts, music, food, etc. b/c it is one of the biggest cities in the South it tends to draw all of that in. It can be somewhat generic in areas - most shopping malls per capita - and the suburban sprawl can be kind of overwhelming. That said the downtown area has been undergoing revitalization with new work/live/play developments and attractions such as the Georgia Aquarium. The COL is lower than in northern cities but I'd guess much higher than in the middle of Pennsylvania. In the areas near GSU there is OK public transport but other than that you will need a car, not sure if that's a factor for you. The thing about Atlanta that can be both a plus and a minus is that it is constantly growing and building and changing. You don't feel much of a sense of history or common heritage there - probably b/c so much of the population is originally from somewhere else.

In terms of law, depending on your specific interests, there is lots of opportunity: there are big law firms there, as well as government offices, Fortune 500 company HQs (Delta, Home Depot, Coca-Cola, etc.)

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:18:13 PM »
Thank you, that actually helped quite a bit!  I am definitely leaning towards GSU over Penn State, but the fact that I won't have an opportunity to visit was (and still is) making me hesitant about the school.  I've looked at housing costs and have found some reasonable places around the college, and I'll be bringing my car, so that won't be a problem. 

Thanks again!

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:17:28 AM »
I live in Atlanta and am likely to attend GSU PT.

City of Atlanta:

For a big city, COL is really cheap.  $800K buys you a MTV Cribs quality house in a country club.  $350K buys you brand new one bedroom high rise condo in Midtown.  Compared to Manhattan, L.A., and Chicago, it is cheap.  Gas price and foods are relatively cheap.  Atlanta and its metro area is quite large with plenty of things to do in various neighborhoods.

Many Fortune 500 cos. are located in Atlanta (Coke, Home Depot, UPS, Suntrust, Newell Rubbermade).  Also, many biglaws are in operation in Atlanta. 

GSU Law School:

It is in an urban setting in middle of downtown almost next door to state Capitol.  Campus is comprised of many buildings (not a traditional college building but rather like an office buildings) scattered across downtown Atlanta.  However, the law building is in the heart of the campus.  GSU absolutely is a commuter school.  There really is not much of sense of community at GSU (I got my undergrad at GSU 3 years ago so this is strictly based on my own experience).

It is my understanding that top GSU grads get jobs at big firms (Alston & Bird, King & Spalding, etc.)  I am not really sure what happens to the others.  However, I know many GSU grad attorneys working for large corporations, big 4 accounting firms, and small to mid size local law firms.  Many in-house counsel at the company I am working for (fortune 100 co) are GSU grad.

GSU law is really underrated IMHO.  GSU places its top grads to biglaws, LSAT ranges are only 2 points or so below UGA (ranked 36th), its bar passage rates are usually higher (or on par at times) than UGA and Emory (see http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/).  Maybe this is because the law school is relatively new (since 1982) and GSU undergrad program as a whole is still ranked as 4th tier national university.

GSU law just acquired a large building from Suntrust and this building will be occupied by the law school and the business school (well respected even to USNWR's standard)

http://law.gsu.edu/news/view.php?id=208

I have been told that this year's entering class won't be taking classes in the new building.  However, by the time I graduate, I would imagine that the new building will help GSU climb up in the ranking.  Currently, GSU sits at 82nd, up from 97th in 2007 rankding.

Plus, tuition for resident is really really cheap. it is less than $8K per year.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:27:14 AM »
I live in Atlanta and am likely to attend GSU PT.

City of Atlanta:

For a big city, COL is really cheap.  $800K buys you a MTV Cribs quality house in a country club.  $350K buys you brand new one bedroom high rise condo in Midtown.  Compared to Manhattan, L.A., and Chicago, it is cheap.  Gas price and foods are relatively cheap.  Atlanta and its metro area is quite large with plenty of things to do in various neighborhoods.

Many Fortune 500 cos. are located in Atlanta (Coke, Home Depot, UPS, Suntrust, Newell Rubbermade).  Also, many biglaws are in operation in Atlanta. 

GSU Law School:

It is in an urban setting in middle of downtown almost next door to state Capitol.  Campus is comprised of many buildings (not a traditional college building but rather like an office buildings) scattered across downtown Atlanta.  However, the law building is in the heart of the campus.  GSU absolutely is a commuter school.  There really is not much of sense of community at GSU (I got my undergrad at GSU 3 years ago so this is strictly based on my own experience).

It is my understanding that top GSU grads get jobs at big firms (Alston & Bird, King & Spalding, etc.)  I am not really sure what happens to the others.  However, I know many GSU grad attorneys working for large corporations, big 4 accounting firms, and small to mid size local law firms.  Many in-house counsel at the company I am working for (fortune 100 co) are GSU grad.

GSU law is really underrated IMHO.  GSU places its top grads to biglaws, LSAT ranges are only 2 points or so below UGA (ranked 36th), its bar passage rates are usually higher (or on par at times) than UGA and Emory (see http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/).  Maybe this is because the law school is relatively new (since 1982) and GSU undergrad program as a whole is still ranked as 4th tier national university.

GSU law just acquired a large building from Suntrust and this building will be occupied by the law school and the business school (well respected even to USNWR's standard)

http://law.gsu.edu/news/view.php?id=208

I have been told that this year's entering class won't be taking classes in the new building.  However, by the time I graduate, I would imagine that the new building will help GSU climb up in the ranking.  Currently, GSU sits at 82nd, up from 97th in 2007 rankding.

Plus, tuition for resident is really really cheap. it is less than $8K per year.

I'm waiting on one other school, but so far, I think Georgia State is where I'll end up (unless I get accepted at the other school)  Have you made a decision about GSU yet?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 12:14:04 PM »
what kinda $ does ga state give out?  bueller?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

mpt6974

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
I've lived in Atlanta for awhile and thought I would post regarding some negative aspects just to play devil's advocate.

First and foremost traffic is horrendous in Atlanta.  The downtown area is also highly populated with homeless people, as I believe it is one of the largest havens for the homeless in the US.  GSU is located in downtown which I'm sure you know.  They did just make panhandling illegal but it still happens very often.  Watch yourself at night downtown!

Regarding GSU's campus, it is spread out over the city.  It's not interconnected like a campus would be in a smaller city.  I'm sure you can see how it's laid out on the maps they have on their website. 

I'm not sure if you're going to live on campus or not butI believe they have new dorms, however some of their dorms are all the way out near the Georgia Tech campus and a bus ride through the city is required to get to GSU.

GSU is a good school, and I echo the same sentiments as the above posters have posted regarding its strengths.  However - I just wanted you to realize that there are some negative things associated with going there :)

I have a friend who's a lawyer for a local firm here and he has told me repeatedly that GSU is very highly looked upon locally.  He mentioned it as the 'ol boys club' for lawyers in Georgia.

Also - if you are a sports fan there are tons of sports to watch in Atlanta.

Hope this helps.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
I've lived in Atlanta for awhile and thought I would post regarding some negative aspects just to play devil's advocate.

First and foremost traffic is horrendous in Atlanta.  The downtown area is also highly populated with homeless people, as I believe it is one of the largest havens for the homeless in the US.  GSU is located in downtown which I'm sure you know.  They did just make panhandling illegal but it still happens very often.  Watch yourself at night downtown!

Regarding GSU's campus, it is spread out over the city.  It's not interconnected like a campus would be in a smaller city.  I'm sure you can see how it's laid out on the maps they have on their website. 

I'm not sure if you're going to live on campus or not butI believe they have new dorms, however some of their dorms are all the way out near the Georgia Tech campus and a bus ride through the city is required to get to GSU.

GSU is a good school, and I echo the same sentiments as the above posters have posted regarding its strengths.  However - I just wanted you to realize that there are some negative things associated with going there :)

I have a friend who's a lawyer for a local firm here and he has told me repeatedly that GSU is very highly looked upon locally.  He mentioned it as the 'ol boys club' for lawyers in Georgia.

Also - if you are a sports fan there are tons of sports to watch in Atlanta.

Hope this helps.

Well, I'm in my 3rd week so far in school and about a month here in Atlanta.  I must say that the "negative aspects" you mentioned are actually pretty limited in my situation.  I have yet to be stuck in Atlanta traffic.  Let me repeat:  I have yet to be stuck in Atlanta traffic.  I live ITP and take backroads to get downtown in the mornings.  In the afternoons, I take the interstates home.  I have stayed off the interstates during rush hour, which I'm sure is why I haven't experienced the traffic yet, but the way everyone was talking, I was expecting it to be bad all the time--not just during rush hour.  D.C. traffic is MUCH worse than here.

So far the panhandlers haven't bothered me at all.  I have yet to see one, though I know a few classmates have.  Atlanta has a lot to offer, and I will be the first to say that I am incredibly happy with my decision to move down here.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 09:41:55 PM »
tag