Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School??  (Read 4353 times)

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New York Law School??
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2007, 11:55:16 AM »
Based on their US News stats, you could be doing a lot worse. I would recommend NYLS over schools like Loyola, Denver or Hofstra.

Also, check out their alumni list. It includes supreme court justices and founding partners of biglaw firms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Law_School#Alumni

NYLS
------------------
Total graduates: 546
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: N/A
Starting Salaries (2005 Graduates Employed Full-time)
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $60,000 - $125,000
Median in the private sector: $110,000 wow
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 32%
Median in public service: $46,000

Hofstra
------------
Total graduates: 333
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: N/A
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): N/A
Median in the private sector: $85,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 66%
Median in public service: $48,000

Loyola
-----------
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 62.7%
Median in the private sector: $70,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 82%
Median in public service: $54,750

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »
the majority of NYLS grads who work in NYC (which undoubtedly, they do because of proximity) usually work in quasi-legal or non legal jobs, and the ones who do find something in the private sector, its usually a low paying PI/ID firm paying $35-45K/year (see http://nycdefensefirms.googlepages.com).

Based on the USN stats, this observation might be true for toilets like Loyola, Denver, UAR and such.

However, I'm not sure you should make a blanket statement about all tier 2/3 law schools. NYLS seems like a diamond in the rough. Unless they're flat out lying about their statistics, NYLS graduates do relatively well on the market.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2007, 12:22:08 PM »
I'll be damned, wiimote making a positive post :p Well, the $110k a year is only with 32% reporting, but still - 110k mean for the top 30% from a T3 school really isn't bad (and we're assuming then that the 32% reporting are the top 32%, which isn't necessarily true). This really comes back to what I've said in other NYLS. This school, in any other location, would be well into Tier 2.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »
I'll be damned, wiimote making a positive post :p Well, the $110k a year is only with 32% reporting, but still - 110k mean for the top 30% from a T3 school

No 156 3.0. That's not the top 32%, that's the 32% who reported salary information to the school.

Edit: Nice edit.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2007, 12:30:17 PM »
Reading would be a fine ability to possess before you start law school, dork.

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
Based on their US News stats, you could be doing a lot worse. I would recommend NYLS over schools like Loyola, Denver or Hofstra.

Also, check out their alumni list. It includes supreme court justices and founding partners of biglaw firms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Law_School#Alumni

NYLS
------------------

Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $60,000 - $125,000
Median in the private sector: $110,000 wow
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 32%

there's your answer why the median salary for private sector is so high. haven't you heard the saying, "99% of statitics are bullsh*t" ?

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2007, 12:35:25 PM »
there's your answer why the median salary for private sector is so high. haven't you heard the saying, "99% of statitics are bullsh*t" ?

Then why aren't they high for Denver, UA-R, Loyola and most other tier 2 schools?

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2007, 12:38:31 PM »

Then why aren't they high for Denver, UA-R, Loyola and most other tier 2 schools?

maybe some of the NYLS grads are lucky/have great connections or are doing non-legal jobs (i.e. business/entreprenual stuff). My point was that the 32% reporting rate is quite fishy, and also Denver, UA-R are not in areas where they pay market, Loyola might be an exception.

there will be successful people from everywhere, success is just easier to come by frm certian schools (and NYLS is defintely not one of those_)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2007, 12:41:02 PM »
Well, it is, compared to other schools that would admit the same people. Comparing T14 schools to Tier 3 schools is getting ridiculous. Nobody who gets in to UCLA are going to pick NYLS over it. But if your choice is between Denver and NYLS, then the latter might actually be a good option.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2007, 12:41:23 PM »
Well if NYLS is intentionally not including salaries to bump up their median salary, then that's a new level of toilet school fraud. Then again, we shouldn't be quick to come to that conclusion. Maybe they're being honest, and they're just a bonafide good school.