Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School??  (Read 4387 times)

sahrunner86

• AOL Instant Messenger - SAHRunner86
    • View Profile
New York Law School??
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:12:54 PM »
Hey everyone, Im applying to law schools this coming fall and I really want to go somewhere in NYC so I plan on applying to Fordham (pt), Cardozo, New York Law School,and Pace (although just outside NYC) for the schools in the NYC area. Im estimating my lsat to be in the upper 150s like at least 157 and my gpa to be about 2.8-3.0 oh and yeah im just finishing undergrad so i'll be right out of college. So if anybody has any information on NYLS that would be great! Im looking more at it bc Im pretty sure its somewhere in NYC that I can likely get into.

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New York Law School??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:31:50 AM »
I got into NYLS and I'm going there this Fall!
I think it's a good school but one has to work hard (like any other school...) ;D
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »
You have a great shot at NYLS and Pace.  But unless you up your LSAT to the mid-160s, your GPA is going to hold you back from Cardozo and Fordham.  I believe the median GPA at Cardozo and Fordham is 3.50.  But the subpar GPA can be overcome with a few years of significant work experience.  Nevertheless, NYLS is a great school in a great location.  Good luck!

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »
I got into NYLS and I'm going there this Fall!
I think it's a good school but one has to work hard (like any other school...) ;D

have u visited NYLS?? I think the remodel is great for the immediate needs and maybe bring more opportunity to future alumni..maybe. I want to work for a firm doing non corporate litigation ( i think now)...I know it would probably be difficult to get employment with "big" firms, but i think being able to work in some sort of firm setting is still a good possibility..? What attracted you to NYLS?

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »
You have a great shot at NYLS and Pace.  But unless you up your LSAT to the mid-160s, your GPA is going to hold you back from Cardozo and Fordham.  I believe the median GPA at Cardozo and Fordham is 3.50.  But the subpar GPA can be overcome with a few years of significant work experience.  Nevertheless, NYLS is a great school in a great location.  Good luck!

thanks! and also...Cardozo i would be applying pt too (although its not really pt u just start in the summmer but they have a lower lsat range).

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 11:06:37 AM »

thanks! and also...Cardozo i would be applying pt too (although its not really pt u just start in the summmer but they have a lower lsat range).

The Cardozo part-time actually has a bit higher GPA range with a median of still 3.50.  I would highly recommended studying really hard for the LSAT and get a mid to high-160s if you are serious about Cardozo and Fordham.  Because of your GPA, a mid-160s LSAT is still a reach for Cardozo and Fordham. I would hate for you to get your hopes up late into the process and realize you're going up against some intense competition because tons of people all over the world want to go to school in NYC and practice in NYC. After all, NYC is the legal capital of the world.  I am not trying to put you down or anything but I'm just being REAL with you, I'm sure a lot of other posters on this board will can attest to what I'm saying.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »
If you're going to apply to Cardozo and Fordham (as reaches) and NYLS and Pace as safeties, you should probably look into Brooklyn law and St John's as well. Both fall between your high-end and your low-end and are in NYC.
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 03:16:58 PM »
BeachBoy, thanks for the advice!

RobWreck, thanks for the St. Johns idea..  havent looked into that yet. Also, you think NYLS is a "safety"? - thats great bc i really just want to go to nyc and get a law degree from somewhere decent!

again... has anybody actually been to NYLS & have opinions on it?

thanks

cheeseman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 04:38:37 PM »
Location is the school's biggest asset.  Proximity to courts, law firms, and wall street is a huge plus.  Plenty of opportunities to network w/ lawyers and judges, and possibly do interships/externships during school.

But the real question is whether this will actually lead to jobs after graduating.  The school's reputation and cost also need to be considered.

I'm trying to decide between NYLS full time or Seton Hall part time evening.  I have visited both, and was impressed with both.  SHU is ranked higher, but commuting to Jersey from long island will be miserable (I will be living on LI for just my first year).  Hopefully I will make up my mind in the next few days.

Good luck.

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 05:05:05 PM »
Location is the school's biggest asset.  Proximity to courts, law firms, and wall street is a huge plus.  Plenty of opportunities to network w/ lawyers and judges, and possibly do interships/externships during school.

But the real question is whether this will actually lead to jobs after graduating.  The school's reputation and cost also need to be considered.

I'm trying to decide between NYLS full time or Seton Hall part time evening.  I have visited both, and was impressed with both.  SHU is ranked higher, but commuting to Jersey from long island will be miserable (I will be living on LI for just my first year).  Hopefully I will make up my mind in the next few days.

Good luck.

I agree.. the location is amazing! I know the cost of the school is high but i imagine its due to the recent renovations and possibly bc the high cost of nyc..but yeah it is high comparably. But really i dont mind the cost as long as i can find a loan to add it to. I think im pretty much sold on this one.. unless employment prospects are bad for graduates or theres something that is just awful that i havent found out yet. Otherwise, i think i have a very good chance of getting in and being able to eventually practice law.

Good luck to you too! SHU is good too.. i believe the availability of a joint degree in international affairs would suggest they have a strong concentration in international law  if that is of any interest to you.