Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGeorge v. Southwestern  (Read 1861 times)

bekah

• AOL Instant Messenger - RGFlip
    • View Profile
McGeorge v. Southwestern
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:29:15 PM »
McGeorge or Southwestern?? To give you some background to go off of:

• I currently live in Los Angeles (my family is here)
  • I did undergrad in San Jose (loved it)
  • I'm interested in a future career of working with the LGBT community
  • I have a $12,000 scholarship to McGoerge
  • I don't know about my financial aid package at Southwestern

So...what do you think?

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: McGeorge v. Southwestern
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:40:40 PM »
Do you want to work in LA or Sac? That may a large factor. Southwestern definitely has a better rep in LA; however, the money at UoP is nice.

If I were you, I would study in the region you want to work. I accepted USD over Loyola because I want to be in San Diego.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:55:10 PM »
Do you want to work in LA or Sac? That may a large factor. Southwestern definitely has a better rep in LA; however, the money at UoP is nice.

If I were you, I would study in the region you want to work. I accepted USD over Loyola because I want to be in San Diego.

I agree with this. I just withdrew from Southwestern even though my family also lives here and lost $200 because I prefer Sacramento to LA. I got the exact scholarship offer as you and I just recently visited both schools. I think that Southwestern's library blows McGeorge's out of the water but McGeorge has nicer people and an environment that I prefer. So it was an easy choice for me especially after seeing the place for myself this past Friday. If you want to stay in LA and would like to use a really sweet library then I would choose Southwestern. If you want to live in Sacramento and prefer to have a community at your school then I would go to McGeorge.

I would think that you would have other offers later on this cycle since we are likely in the same boat. I am waiting on a number of other schools so McGeorge is my temporary choice. Maybe they will be my final choice or maybe I will go to Loyola, USD, Lewis and Clark, or the University of Iowa. I can tell you that McGeorge has always treated me with respect and Southwestern hasn't. For example, even though I e-mailed Southwestern prior to the deposit deadline to request a full refund of my deposit, they sill chose to give me only $100 back. I also called them up to ask why I had not received any kind of financial aid packet and they were rude and told me that I never filled out their special form for this. Southwestern is so disorganized that it's not even funny. McGeorge on the other hand had my financial aid packet to me within 2 weeks of my accpetance. No competition here.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

bekah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:49:33 PM »
Do you want to work in LA or Sac? That may a large factor.

Well, I think that post graduation I will want to live in either Los Angeles or the San Francisco area.  I think I could enjoy Sacramento while there for school, but it's not where I would like to "settle down".

bekah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:01:40 PM »
I agree with this. I just withdrew from Southwestern even though my family also lives here and lost $200 because I prefer Sacramento to LA. I got the exact scholarship offer as you and I just recently visited both schools. I think that Southwestern's library blows McGeorge's out of the water but McGeorge has nicer people and an environment that I prefer. So it was an easy choice for me especially after seeing the place for myself this past Friday. If you want to stay in LA and would like to use a really sweet library then I would choose Southwestern. If you want to live in Sacramento and prefer to have a community at your school then I would go to McGeorge.

Wow! You completely understand what I've been thinking. I visited the Southwestern campus a few months ago for an open house and was extremely impressed with the facilities and the awesome courtroom, library, gym, etc.  I also visited McGeorge and was less impressed - though not disappointed with the facilities.  The professor I met at SW was kind of weird and I felt uncomfortable talking to him. The professors I talked to at McG seemed awesome. My biggest concern with McG is their Sacramento location. I have a lot of ties to Los Angeles now and it will be hard to leave (though not impossible - just need to get used to the idea).

I would think that you would have other offers later on this cycle since we are likely in the same boat.

Still waiting on Loyola and UCLA - though I'm not holding my breath.

McGeorge has always treated me with respect and Southwestern hasn't... Southwestern is so disorganized that it's not even funny. McGeorge on the other hand had my financial aid packet to me within 2 weeks of my accpetance. No competition here.

This has been my experience too - rude people at Southwestern (except today when I called to set up a time to sit in on a class).  I also don't appreciate that their seat deposit is due the day before the admitted students reception! Whats up with that?? McG has been nothing but helpful and extremely nice. I keep having to ask myself if they are just being nice becuase they want me to go there or if they are always like that.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:26:56 PM »
Roman: I'm *pretty* sure that Southwestern says in their admissions packet that they'll only refund 50% of the seat deposit.  Not 100% sure, but maybe that's why they did it that way.

I can't comment on Southwestern.  I got in, but I just withdrew and never visited.  I loved McGeorge, though.  Like Roman said, the administration has been nothing but friendly and helpful, and the campus, although in a scary part of town, is really quite nice and relaxing.  I personally loved the feel of Sacramento, and I think it's a good choice for me.

As others have said, though, you need to decide if you're more likely to practice in Northern or Southern California.  I do know that McGeorge has a Los Angeles alumni group, if that's at all encouraging, but I don't know how many alumni initially practice in Southern California.

If it helps at all, I do have pictures up of McGeorge's campus and Sacramento in general.  I'd be happy to post a link if anyone's interested (and doesn't mind seeing me looking pretty gross in 2 of them :P)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

BigNick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:46:58 PM »
Do you want to work in LA or Sac? That may a large factor.

Well, I think that post graduation I will want to live in either Los Angeles or the San Francisco area.  I think I could enjoy Sacramento while there for school, but it's not where I would like to "settle down".

McGeorge places well in Sacramento but isn't going to place in the bay area or LA area. I know tons of attorneys in Sacramento that are grads from McGeorge and seemed to have liked the school. However in the Bay, there is simply too much competition coming from Hastings/Berekely/Stanford and other bay schools for McGeorge to place at all. Same would likely go for LA area. McGeorge seems to be a ticket to life in Sacramento.

I currently live (outside college) in Sacramento. It's a ton of strip malls and urban sprawl with very hot summers. The only reason Sac exists is because of the lack of affforable housing in the bay area.

tortartist

• View Profile
My experiences being in the same boat...
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 01:10:12 AM »
I am deciding between Southwestern and McG. I liked Southwestern's campus, but was much more impressed with McGeorge's. The quality of student life seems very strong at McG, and to boot they've offered me a scholarship. The problem is that although I really liked McGeorge, I want to stay in So-Cal.

I've similarly experienced administrative disorganization and "rudeness" from southwestern, however I won't let that make my decision.

I've spoken to current students and alumnis from both schools, each have very good things to say. A current McG student  called McG "The Southwestern of Nor-Cal". Both schools have a very strong reputation and alumni base in their respective areas.

I've gone back and forth on making a decision (probably making it more difficult than it needs to be) but it's a life decision and I want to make the right one.

Advice from current or former students at either school would be much appreciated, thanks...

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:20:43 AM »
Okay, so I love Southwestern, but as someone who also wants to go into GLBT work, I say take the money.  Many future jobs could be at places that are just starting up and can't afford to pay as well.  Taking the less expensive option gives you more freedom in where you work after graduation.  For example, I'd love to move to San Fransisco after graduation and work with groups there.  With the cost of living in SF, though, I know I'll have to put off moving until after my first job (if I go to SW).

It's really a personal decision.  I say go with your gut and do what feels right.

I also don't get people who say that SW hasn't been nice.  I actually sent one of the people a thank you card for treating me exceptionally humanely over the phone.  (I was waiting to send seat deposits and hadn't gotten a decision yet.  This person talked to the committee and told me what was most likely going to happen with my file, something that this person was under no obligation to do.)  It has been extremely refreshing after dealing with CUNY, which has people working in the office who rival the demeanor of any DMV employee.  Just my experience though.

Good luck to you in making your decision :)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »
I'm interested in GLBT issues, as well.  Hello, potential future classmate. :)

Generally, I'd say go to school in the region in which you want to start out practicing.  I've heard, however, that McGeorge has a decent-sized group of alumni in SoCal.  What I'd do in your situation is get in contact with someone at Pacific who can in turn get you in contact with someone who can better describe placement opportunities in Southern California from McGeorge.  I don't think it would be at all too much to ask to be put into contact with a SoCal alumnus/alumna to get an idea of how they got the job they're working at now.  I believe there's even an alumni assocation for Southern California lawyers.

I honestly think that in order to get a job in a region outside Sacramento, you just need to be a bit more proactive in your job search.  Networking is key, so if you're in the SoCal area right now and do decide on McGeorge, you're going to want to attempt to make some contacts through the school before you move out here.  Keep in touch via email and when you go back to visit (if you do).

Just my lowly opinion.  Good luck with whatever you choose!
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)