Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

All things being equal, which law school would you choose to attend?

Boston University
 28 (34.6%)
University of Southern California
 43 (53.1%)
University of Minnesota
 10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: BU vs. USC vs. UMN  (Read 7715 times)

Edna St. Vincent Millay

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Portrait of a Poetess"
    • View Profile
Re: BU vs. USC vs. UMN
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 01:53:57 PM »
I would chose BU, because you can get around without a car, living in Boston is FUN, and my friends at BU like it. Plus, I feel that lawfirms in Boston/New York/DC have more associates and partners that went to BU than went to USC, which might indicate that they prefer BU to USC, or that they recruit more heavily from there. partners tend to like people from their own law schools.

You can test that out by checking websites for firms you might want to work at some day. I already tested it on Cravath, Simpson Thacher, and Cleary Gottlieb.

Good luck! :)
Flight of the Conchords

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11067696

Northwestern 2010.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »
I would chose BU, because you can get around without a car, living in Boston is FUN, and my friends at BU like it. Plus, I feel that lawfirms in Boston/New York/DC have more associates and partners that went to BU than went to USC, which might indicate that they prefer BU to USC, or that they recruit more heavily from there. partners tend to like people from their own law schools.

You can test that out by checking websites for firms you might want to work at some day. I already tested it on Cravath, Simpson Thacher, and Cleary Gottlieb.

or that the people who apply there are mostly BU students?

indomitable

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »

I agree that placement in the Eastern U.S. is better for BU law grads than for those of USC. Of course, that may be because BU is located there and because a large majority of USC grads stay in CA post-J.D. Either way, if I knew for sure where I wanted to practice after law school, it would be an easy choice: BU if I wanted to work on the east coast; USC if I wanted to work in the western U.S.

Are your friends at BU undergrads or law students? I'm sure the experience is somewhat different based on that.

Thanks for the input!

Edna St. Vincent Millay

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Portrait of a Poetess"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »
I'm referring to BU Law students. The few that I know do like it.

Just speaking completely off-the-cuff, the people who I know at BUSL were really laid-back and fun in UG. One girl I know there was really involved in our UG and she was just a lot of fun to hang out with. One guy I know there was very social--he had huge parties with his suitemates in our UG, inviting basically the whole school (sort of unheard of at my UG). They were both smart cookies in the classroom, but we definitely social and fun people. I'd like to have law classmates like them.

I wonder if BU attracts fun people, or if my friends are just exceptions? My UG is a bit of a "feeder" to BUSL, as the director of admissions mentioned to me at an LSAC forum in NYC, so maybe they just get more students who went to UG in Boston, loved it, and want to stay there and have fun, but didn't get into Harvard, and preferred BU to BC?

Regardless, I offer these two examples to counteract any cold, puritanical Bostonian fears you may have about BUSL and its students! :)
Flight of the Conchords

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11067696

Northwestern 2010.

moo cow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 05:21:18 PM »
i'm a two L at BU and i think it's a really great school.  it's not competitive and students are really cool about sharing outlines and stuff.  someone commented about getting to the library first so pages aren't ripped out of books...  seriously, that's just silly.  everyone i've met here is really friendly, two Ls give one Ls old outlines and one Ls share that stuff with each other all the time.    also, the professors are awesome, students party hard and the alumni get drunk and yell funny things during legal follies (a hilarious yearly comedy show put on by law students).  also, first semester is set up so you only get grades in two classes, that way you have time to adjust to law school without stressing too much about how you do first semester (you'll still stress, don't get me wrong  :)  ).  also, students here aren't ranked, which makes everything much more chill...  basically, if you do well here then you have great access to top firms.  a ton of BU students are from cali, and all the ones i know are summering at top cali firms.  one of my buddy's is from tennessee, and he has a grea job at a top firm there.  this is not to mention your amazing opportunities in NY and Boston...  also, we have a little hole in the wall bar across the street called the dug out.  it's run by this really old guy whose been there for 100 years.  after each final exam your first year, the entire class runs to the dug out together...  by the time you're a two L, professors will take you out to drinks there.  to sum up, i love it here and i highly recommend BU to anyone...  good luck deciding.   

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 05:28:31 PM »
Given your awesome options, I would go to USC for one, lame reason: the beautiful weather. Boston and UMinn are great, don't get me wrong, but as a Jersey girl, spending 3 years in sunny California sounds preferable to cold cities (and in Boston's case, a cold and expensive city). Plus, if you're interested in sports and entertainment law, even if just slightly, California would be a prime location.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

indomitable

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 01:08:10 AM »
Given your awesome options, I would go to USC for one, lame reason: the beautiful weather. Boston and UMinn are great, don't get me wrong, but as a Jersey girl, spending 3 years in sunny California sounds preferable to cold cities (and in Boston's case, a cold and expensive city). Plus, if you're interested in sports and entertainment law, even if just slightly, California would be a prime location.
As an Alabama guy, I long for a change in climate. If it's going to be cold, it'd better snow (and it will in Boston or Minneapolis). Then again, I suppose I could tolerate the warmer weather as long as there's a beach nearby (sounds like LA). So either way, I'm sure I'd be fine. As far as I can tell, Boston and LA have comparably expensive CoL too. The allure of CA for sports and entertainment law opportunities is undeniable though.

i'm a two L at BU and i think it's a really great school.  it's not competitive and students are really cool about sharing outlines and stuff.  someone commented about getting to the library first so pages aren't ripped out of books...  seriously, that's just silly.  everyone i've met here is really friendly, two Ls give one Ls old outlines and one Ls share that stuff with each other all the time.    also, the professors are awesome, students party hard and the alumni get drunk and yell funny things during legal follies (a hilarious yearly comedy show put on by law students).  also, first semester is set up so you only get grades in two classes, that way you have time to adjust to law school without stressing too much about how you do first semester (you'll still stress, don't get me wrong  :)  ).  also, students here aren't ranked,which makes everything much more chill...  basically, if you do well here then you have great access to top firms.  a ton of BU students are from cali, and all the ones i know are summering at top cali firms.  one of my buddy's is from tennessee, and he has a grea job at a top firm there.  this is not to mention your amazing opportunities in NY and Boston...  also, we have a little hole in the wall bar across the street called the dug out.  it's run by this really old guy whose been there for 100 years.  after each final exam your first year, the entire class runs to the dug out together...  by the time you're a two L, professors will take you out to drinks there.  to sum up, i love it here and i highly recommend BU to anyone...  good luck deciding.  

Really?! (addressed to all the bolded items) All of this sounds great and very reassuring! The bars and profs sound fun too. Of course, from what I've heard BU has some phenomenal professors. The most interesting thing to me was that BU no longer ranks; I read on another recent post of yours (because I wanted to see if you'd mentioned it anywhere else) that this is a recent change. Did they just start, or I should say stop, class ranking during the 2006-2007 year? And is this info (about no longer ranking the class and about only receiving a grade in two classes during first semester) anywhere on BUSL's website (because I don't remember seeing it but wish I had if it's on there somewhere)? Thanks for the valuable information!

turtle1066

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 01:04:17 PM »
moocow...thank you so much! i've been stressing over my decision to go to BU too. after reading what you said, and seeing how much someone who goes there actually likes it, i'm feeling a whole lot better! thank you so much!
BU Class of 2010! Hooray!!

moo cow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 02:26:34 PM »

Really?! (addressed to all the bolded items) All of this sounds great and very reassuring! The bars and profs sound fun too. Of course, from what I've heard BU has some phenomenal professors. The most interesting thing to me was that BU no longer ranks; I read on another recent post of yours (because I wanted to see if you'd mentioned it anywhere else) that this is a recent change. Did they just start, or I should say stop, class ranking during the 2006-2007 year? And is this info (about no longer ranking the class and about only receiving a grade in two classes during first semester) anywhere on BUSL's website (because I don't remember seeing it but wish I had if it's on there somewhere)? Thanks for the valuable information!

they stopped ranking students in the 2005-2006 class (i.e. my one L class).  so when i came in 2005, we all thought we would be ranked, but then they sent out an e-mail telling us that the ranking thing is done.  so yes, it's very recent.  and the info is sort of on the website:  it's in the student handbook (probably in the "registrar" section).  as far as the class set up, i don't know if it's on the website...  nobody really talks about it as a big perk of BU, but to me it's HUGE. 

you'll see when you start that everyone first semester is lost and confused and stressed; everyone seems to forget that they only have two classes that count during the first semester learning curve.  so, e.g., a friend of mine did really bad first semester and he even had a C+ in one class.  but now he's doing great:  last semester he got an A+ in a class, that means out of 100 students he got the highest grade.  if he started at a school where first semester counts as much as the others, his GPA would be permanently screwed. 

more or less, same thing happened with me.  first semester my two grades were a B and a B-.  those are the two lowest grades i've had since being in law school.  but because first semester counts for so little, by GPA now is great. 

so i see it as a huge benefit that you can stress out first semester, but ultimately know that you have a buffer zone while you're learning the ropes...  maybe other schools do the same thing.  i have no idea...  maybe you should call the registrar's at your other potential schools and ask? 

moocow...thank you so much! i've been stressing over my decision to go to BU too. after reading what you said, and seeing how much someone who goes there actually likes it, i'm feeling a whole lot better! thank you so much!

i'm glad!  all of my friends really like it here!  let me know who your professors are when you find out, i'll give you the low down on them...

indomitable

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »
they stopped ranking students in the 2005-2006 class (i.e. my one L class).  so when i came in 2005, we all thought we would be ranked, but then they sent out an e-mail telling us that the ranking thing is done.  so yes, it's very recent.  and the info is sort of on the website:  it's in the student handbook (probably in the "registrar" section).  as far as the class set up, i don't know if it's on the website...  nobody really talks about it as a big perk of BU, but to me it's HUGE

you'll see when you start that everyone first semester is lost and confused and stressed; everyone seems to forget that they only have two classes that count during the first semester learning curve.  so, e.g., a friend of mine did really bad first semester and he even had a C+ in one class.  but now he's doing great:  last semester he got an A+ in a class, that means out of 100 students he got the highest grade.  if he started at a school where first semester counts as much as the others, his GPA would be permanently screwed. 

more or less, same thing happened with me.  first semester my two grades were a B and a B-.  those are the two lowest grades i've had since being in law school.  but because first semester counts for so little, by GPA now is great. 

so i see it as a huge benefit that you can stress out first semester, but ultimately know that you have a buffer zone while you're learning the ropes...  maybe other schools do the same thing.  i have no idea...  maybe you should call the registrar's at your other potential schools and ask? 

i'm glad!  all of my friends really like it here!  let me know who your professors are when you find out, i'll give you the low down on them...

I can't believe that BU doesn't make it more of a point to stress these strengths that you've mentioned! I agree that it's HUGE that they no longer rank; that was a distinct strenth in favor of USC before, so I'm really glad to have learned the same about BU as well now. Plus, only having 2 grades for first semester would be great to stress to us wide-eyed, fright-filled 0Ls that fear for our sanity and job prospects while we adjust to a completely new place and a radically different style of learning. I still haven't decided where I'm going, but I agree with turtle1066 that I feel even better about BU now!

Oh, and moocow, do you know anything about sports and entertainment law at BU? I remember seeing on the website that there's a club, but I'd really like more information about it at BU...thanks!