Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech vs. South Texas College of Law  (Read 3757 times)

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech vs. South Texas College of Law
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 05:24:55 PM »
0L here. And also waiting on UH...

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 05:30:05 PM »
If you go to Tech, I'll see you there.  ;D

One thing about Lubbock - it's a crappy little town. The upshot is that virtually nobody stays there after law school; most students move on to one of the major cities in Texas. Their alumni base is very large and very strong. If you want to stay in Texas, you will have many more options coming from Tech than people on this board will lead you to believe.

BTW, good luck with UT!

I have decided on Tech too.  They offered me a great scholarship, which I was going to decline until I visited the campus.  The faculty/students I met were awesome!  Can't say enough about how welcoming everyone was.  Never thought I would pass up U of H for Tech.  When you moving Rukiddin?

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
Wow, Smack...congrats! I'm suprised you passed up UH for Tech too. I'm in a similar situation though - even if I do get accepted to UH, I'm still leaning toward Tech. If all goes as planned, I'll be moving August 1st. Do you have housing lined up yet?

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
Wow, Smack...congrats! I'm suprised you passed up UH for Tech too. I'm in a similar situation though - even if I do get accepted to UH, I'm still leaning toward Tech. If all goes as planned, I'll be moving August 1st. Do you have housing lined up yet?

I just mailed a deposit on a house off Quaker.  I am a single mother, so Lubbock will be way better for the boys than Houston.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
I have to admit, Texas Tech Law students sure love their school.

lawxtina

• AOL Instant Messenger - sweetxtina03
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Even if i do get into Houston or Baylor, I am afraid I will lean towards tech because their orientation day was so awesome...I agree, their faculty and students were so friendly. The only thing that sucks for me is that it is more than 12 hours from home. Of Houston and Baylor, which of the two schools do you think is better?
152/3.78

Texas Tech School of Law 1L

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 06:11:24 PM »
If you have no regional preference I would always recommend Houston.  The access to the Houston market is what puts it above Baylor in my eyes.

Baylor is known for training great litigators but also has a reputation of being a four year bar prep course.  It is also in Waco  :(

lawxtina

• View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 10:12:35 PM »
thanks again for your comments..yeah, I only visited Tech's facility once and they really won me over! I am going to pursue Tech and wait to hear from UH...of course, if UT accepts me, I will probably drop everything and end up there :)
152/3.78

lawxtina

• View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 11:45:14 AM »
shameless bump!
152/3.78

enkidu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 01:44:14 PM »
I haven't read the thread, just posting my advice.

TT is known to be an okay school through Texas. The Lubbock thing doesn't bode well for them.

STCL is considered on the same level as them (if not a bit higher) and it's concentrated in Houston. Depends on what you want obviously.

If you want to work in Houston, I hear top 10-15% of STCL gets Houston biglaw. Tech will probably place better in Dallas, however.
Going to W&L!