Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech vs. South Texas College of Law  (Read 3504 times)

lawxtina

• AOL Instant Messenger - sweetxtina03
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
    • Email
Texas Tech vs. South Texas College of Law
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »
I really want to stay in Texas. I have been accepted to these two universities as well as Florida Coastal. I am waiting to hear from UT, UH, and Baylor. Any opinions on Tech and South Texas College of Law? Thanks.
152/3.78

Texas Tech School of Law 1L

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech vs. South Texas College of Law
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »
What do you want to do with your degree, and what is your expected debt from each school?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »
Texas Tech places alright in Dallas.  Top 5-10% has some shot at Dallas BIGlaw.  Tech also does pretty well in the El Paso - New Mexico areas.

I hear great things about the academic program and that the students are very happy.

Personal note - I know a Texas Tech grad who has a small firm in North Texas and he does quite well for himself.

South Texas is to be avoided, no real placement anywhere. - except Houston.

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:31:27 PM »
Unless you got a hefty scholarship from STCL, go to Tech. It's hard to justify the massive debt for a Tier 4 school when you can go to a cheap (if you're a TX resident) Tier 3. Also, I'd only choose STCL if you're certain you want to practice in Houston.

hotshot

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dude
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
are you serious? You must have a real dilemma.

Texas Tech: Hot girls, Solid tier 3, $11,000/year, average starting salary $70-75,000, great alumni base

South Texas: Cut-throat competitive students, Houston is a sh*t hole, $22,000/year, pretty good starting salary, impossible to get a job outside Houston.

Wow! That's a tough one.

skeletor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »
i think a couple of the previous posters are just talking out of their azzes.  in my opinion, TT and STCL are pretty equivalent, but STCL is the overall better school.  here's an objective breakdown:

Academics: Edge to TT
-TT has marginally better student body stats
-TT has better bar passage rates
-STCL has strong reputation for advocacy
-TT only has full-time option; STCL has part-time

Employment: Edge to STCL
-STCL's average starting salary is $10k more than TT (according to Princeton Review)
-per NALP, STCL has 80 major firm offices that do OCI; TT has 31
-according to Martindale, for lawyers with less than 5 yrs xp, there are 201 STCL grads in Houston, compared to 21 TT grads; conversely, in Dallas/Fort Worth, there are 84 TT grads compared with 15 STCL grads (keep in mind, tho, that STCL has a larger student body)
-Baker Botts has 12 STCL grads vs. 4 TT grads
-Vinson & Elkins has 27 STCL grads vs. 9 TT grads
-Fulbright has 18 STCL grads vs. 15 TT grads
-Haynes & Boone has 14 STCL grads vs. 2 TT grads

Other: Edge to STCL
-STCL is located in downtown Houston; TT is in Lubbock
-STCL is about $10k/yr more expensive
-STCL is 20% minority; TT is 10%

Personally, i would pay an extra $30k to spend 3 years in Houston as opposed to Lubbock and have the chance at a better starting salary to boot.

hotshot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »
i think a couple of the previous posters are just talking out of their azzes.  STCL is the overall better school. 

What planet do you live on skeletor?

Texas Tech is a solid Tier 3, STCL is a tier 4. How can you honestly state the STCL is the overall better school?

According to the Princeton Review Best 159 Law Schools, average starting salary for Tech is $70,200     STCL is $73,000. By the way, these are averages. Some Tech grads may make over 6 figures while STCL grads make $50,000/year or vice versa. $10,000 over for STCL is a little bit of an overkill. Sounds to me like you're the one talking out of your azz.

lawxtina

• View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »
hey thanks so much for your comments...here are my concerns:

I want a school with a small student/teacher ratio
Want it to have a good (90% or higher) bar passing rate
Reasonable tuition cost (I am a texas resident)
Want to be stay in texas...as close to South TExas (Rio Grande VAlley) as possible
BUT OVERALL: I want to get the best education possible between these two schools....any other added opinions?

Oh yeah one more thing...My long term goal is to eventually become a law professor, but while I practice law I am going to focus on either bankruptcy law, will and estate, or criminal law (bet you can tell i am undecided ! )  ;D

I am interested in more opinions...thanks again!
152/3.78

skeletor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »
i think a couple of the previous posters are just talking out of their azzes.  STCL is the overall better school. 

What planet do you live on skeletor?

Texas Tech is a solid Tier 3, STCL is a tier 4. How can you honestly state the STCL is the overall better school?

According to the Princeton Review Best 159 Law Schools, average starting salary for Tech is $70,200     STCL is $73,000. By the way, these are averages. Some Tech grads may make over 6 figures while STCL grads make $50,000/year or vice versa. $10,000 over for STCL is a little bit of an overkill. Sounds to me like you're the one talking out of your azz.

Texas Tech avg starting salary: $68,800
http://www.princetonreview.com/law/research/profiles/generalinfo.asp?listing=1035792&LTID=5

South Texas avg starting salary: $78,000
http://www.princetonreview.com/law/research/profiles/generalinfo.asp?listing=1035944&LTID=5

No disrespect, hotshot, but I think your reliance on USNWR rankings is misplaced.  You make it sound like there is no question TT is better than STCL, but I have pointed to some solid (tho admittedly not dispositive) stats that suggest otherwise.

The top 25% of STCL will get the same gigs as the top 25% of TT.  But while the bottom 75% of TT grads end up in markets like El Paso and Jasper, TX (aka Klan hq), the bottom 75% of STCL grads still find themselves in Houston and Galveston.

lawxtina

• View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:57 PM »
oh..one more thing.. I got accepted to Florida Coastal as well, and they are offering me $15,000 a year....of course I would still be paying out-of-state tuition though...what tier of school is that? is it better than either tech or STCL?
152/3.78