Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNT closer to getting law school  (Read 2504 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
UNT closer to getting law school
« on: April 03, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-lawschool_03tex.ART.State.Edition2.4428c57.html

Senate committee hears proposal to start public program in Dallas

05:56 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 3, 2007

By TERRENCE STUTZ / The Dallas Morning News
tstutz@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN The University of North Texas System would be authorized to establish a new law school in Dallas ending the area's distinction as the largest metropolitan region in the U.S. without a public law school under legislation considered Monday by a Senate committee.

The measure by Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas, would clear the way for planning and preparation to open a law school in the old Dallas Municipal Building as early as the fall of 2009. Under an agreement between the city and UNT System, Dallas would donate the building and pay half the cost of its renovation.

Mr. West presented the proposal to the Senate Higher Education Subcommittee, citing the "overwhelming support" for the law school in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and North Texas.

"This is a very important project for the city of Dallas in terms of what this means in providing affordable education opportunities," he said.

He noted that about 30 percent of the lawyers practicing in Dallas graduated from out-of-state law schools, partly the result of the lack of an affordable law school in North Texas. The region has two private law schools at SMU and Texas Wesleyan in Fort Worth. But tuition is about three times as much as public law schools in Texas, according to Mr. West.

Texas now has four public law schools at the University of Texas at Austin, Texas Tech University, the University of Houston and Texas Southern University as well as five private law schools.

UNT System Chancellor Lee Jackson was among those who testified for the bill, noting that it "has been 44 years and millions of lawyer jokes" since Texas created its last public law school.

"It's not about whether Texas needs more lawyers, but whether college graduates from North Texas have a reasonable opportunity to earn a law degree if they so choose," he said.

Mr. Jackson pointed out that a new law school would be far less expensive to establish than a medical school, making it a more viable expansion of the university system.

Also testifying was former state District Judge Jay Patterson of Dallas, who said law firms in the area have found it increasingly difficult to attract enough law school graduates particularly minorities to fill their needs.

The bill proposes spending about $6.2 million in state funds over the next two years to get the school up and running by the fall of 2009. The funds would be used to hire faculty and administrators, set up a library and pay debt service on revenue bonds that would be used for renovation of the old Dallas Municipal Building.

Before construction begins, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board would conduct a feasibility study on the proposed law school. It would initially be operated as a professional school of the UNT System and eventually become a part of UNT-Dallas.
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UNT closer to getting law school
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:07:14 PM »
Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. is moving ahead with establishing a law school. What will this mean for the legal profession when law schools are as common as grad schools?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 05:40:17 PM »
Three law schools in the DFW area seems like a lot to me, but having one of them public would make a big difference.  Last I heard, Wesleyan was on probation by the ABA, but I guess it's not according to this (http://www.abanet.org/legaled/approvedlawschools/alpha.html)

I wonder if UNT would debut at a 3rd or 4th tier.  Of course, it's too early to speculate...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »
and so you figure wilkes just pimping for penn state?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »
Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. is moving ahead with establishing a law school. What will this mean for the legal profession when law schools are as common as grad schools?

bar has control, can lower bar passage rate.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:36:37 PM »
that why you middle aged and still without j.d.?
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
get back to us when get your green card.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »

AUSTIN The University of North Texas System would be authorized to establish a new law school in Dallas ending the area's distinction as the largest metropolitan region in the U.S. without a public law school under legislation considered Monday by a Senate committee.

as far as I know NYC doesn't have a public law school.  Excellent journalism. 

Edit: and please don't give me any bull about Rutgers ... NY wants nothing to do with NJ...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:25:18 AM »
well now, that just rude.

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »

as far as I know NYC doesn't have a public law school.  Excellent journalism. 

Edit: and please don't give me any bull about Rutgers ... NY wants nothing to do with NJ...

http://www.law.cuny.edu/app/index.jsp
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010