Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford v. Harvard  (Read 3171 times)

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Stanford v. Harvard
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:13:03 AM »
Anyone else deciding b/n Stanford and Harvard? There has been very little discussion about Stanford on this board and what there has been has been a little negative. Stanford was originally my first choice (and I didn't expect to get into either) but now I am leaning towards Harvard. Here are my pros and cons...please add thoughts  and feelings.

Harvard
seems like there are more opportunities if i am interested in academia (a possibility) and def more opportunites to work abroad (which I am very interested in)
study abroad program
closer to home (family in boston, most friends in NYC)
bad weather
big
i have heard too many stories about miserable law students
i can continue working at my job on a very limited basis
summer funding seems very generous and flexible
law review would be more competitive simply bc more students prob apply bc of class size

Stanford
warmer weather
much better quality of life...students seem happier
why don't they have any of their own graduates on faculty?--> academia
jamba juice(+++)
cheaper COL (based on min. cost of dorm...i am really good at living like a cheap student)
they gave me some grant $ (though i still have not heard from Harvard)
smaller classes
worried about whether I will be able to work abroad or extent to which i can do non-traditional jobs from here
i HATE flying
i want to live on the west coast (i don't know about permanently bc i have not spent enough time there yet to know for sure)

NOTE: i have visited both and had good feelings about both. i am attending stanford admit weekend next weekend (let me know if you will be there)
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Stanford v. Harvard
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:14:58 AM »
Columbia 3L

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
thanks...i just thought i would start it back up bc i had thought that convo died when most of those people decided they were going to Yale  ;D plus now it is getting closer to decision time

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »
thanks...i just thought i would start it back up bc i had thought that convo died when most of those people decided they were going to Yale  ;D plus now it is getting closer to decision time

np...just wanted you to see some other thoughts on the matter  :)

depsite me not applying to these schools, i'm still interested in lurking on these threads  :D ;)
Columbia 3L

hgolightly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 12:20:15 PM »
i'd love to hear any insights about stanford, i agree it seems to be underrepresented here. what's the student/faculty interaction like? is there any limit to how many clinics you can do? can you easily take classes elsewhere in the university? are there opportunities to TA for undergrads, such as there are at harvard and yale?

i am actually deciding between harvard, stanford, and yale. until this week i wasn't really giving much consideration to stanford (more to keep things simple than for any rational reason, plus i am on the east coast) but i actually am so torn between harvard and yale that now i am going to go out to stanford's admit weekend... and hopefully will get some bolt of insight. i like harvard for specific programs such as the berkman center and some of the more niche clinics, and it seems like such an exciting place, but i like yale's small size and flexibility. now i am wondering if stanford might combine the best of both worlds - i like its cyberlaw offerings and the clinics, including the new nonprofit/general counsel clinic, sound cool, plus it's as small as yale.

but, it seems like stanford's summer public interest funding and LRAP aren't as good as harvard/yale, and i'm not as familiar with stanford's faculty as i am with harvard/yale, so if anyone can speak to that, it would be awesome. i'm also potentially interested in academia (not 100%, but would like to have the option). and agree with the concern about non-trad careers, international options, etc. would love to be in california for 3 years, but palo alto itself doesn't sound so exciting.

at the end of the day, i think it will come down to a gut feeling and at this rate it looks like the decision is going to get made at the last possible minute. of course i mainly just feel incredibly grateful and lucky to get to make this choice, and i don't think there is really a wrong answer, but i also don't think there's one right answer for everyone. (i.e. getting tired of the eminently not helpful "you got into school x? well, you obviously have to go there" response.)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »
Tag.  I'm definitely leaning towards Stanford:

- I live in the Bay Area and it would be much easier to stay here for law school than relocate myself and my boyfriend to the East Coast.  I also want to practice in the Bay Area after graduation.
- I'm not particularly interested in academia.
- It's too cold in Boston/New Haven.
- I love the laid-back atmosphere at Stanford
- Stanford gave me significantly more $$ than Harvard or Yale

I don't know if it's a widespread practice, but Stanford Law students are allowed to serve as TAs.  One of the political sciences classes I took as an undergraduate had a 2L as TA.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »
do you think you could TA as a 1L? Interesting note

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »
Tag.  I'm definitely leaning towards Stanford:

- I live in the Bay Area and it would be much easier to stay here for law school than relocate myself and my boyfriend to the East Coast.  I also want to practice in the Bay Area after graduation.
- I'm not particularly interested in academia.
- It's too cold in Boston/New Haven.
- I love the laid-back atmosphere at Stanford
- Stanford gave me significantly more $$ than Harvard or Yale

I don't know if it's a widespread practice, but Stanford Law students are allowed to serve as TAs.  One of the political sciences classes I took as an undergraduate had a 2L as TA.

I'm pretty sure Yale allows you to TA, and you can also serve as a fellow of an undergraduate residential college meaning you can use that college's facilities, among some other privileges I think. 

I'm also pretty sure you can TA at HLS, but I'm less certain about that. 

Sad to see you not lean toward the east coast, though I can certainly understand your allegiance and preference for your home region (which is why I myself never really considered any west coast schools too heavily after getting into HYC).
Yale.Law.School.2010

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 11:07:05 AM »
Pro: Stanford's expanded joint degree programs...masters in economics without extra time= sweet!

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »
bump
I am still torn...anyone else still deciding?
I love that Stanford is small and warm and beautiful but I am worried about living in the burbs and the small class size making me claustrophobic. Also, my mother is going to be very angry with me for moving to the west coast.
I also visited Harvard briefly yesterday and saw a lot of stuff that interested me but I am very worried that competition there will be stiff for every opportunity. Also, I didn't get a chance to meet any of the student body and have no idea how I would mesh.
Also, the class I sat in on was huge.
I really have no idea where I belong and I don't know what to do!
Sorry if this sounds whiny but I am getting so anxious. I know this is a great decision and I can't go wrong...but I am worried that either way I may have regrets.
Any advice? anyone?
I am at work and completely can't concentrate!!!