Law School Discussion

"I Have No Options To Curl Up In Bed With"

Re: "I Have No Options To Curl Up In Bed With"
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 11:04:11 PM »
Hey softs...just curious, but why don't you think you'll be happy at Hofstra?  Really I don't know much about the school and of course I'll always root for the Nittany Lions, but I think that with your attitude, you can definitely make it work at Hofstra, to include doing well in class and your social life.

It's just a much smaller life than I'm used to, which could actually turn out positive, but I'm comfortable in busy places.  I think there's a lot of opportunity around cities and huge college towns.

My beef with Hofstra isn't as much about the school as it is about Hempstead.  I don't look forward to living in Hempstead.  I want to plop myself down in a place for three years and be happy about that time in my life.  I think that's pretty important.     

Sweetpri

• I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 06:54:38 AM »
My numbers are very similar to yours so I def. understand how you feel - I'm lucky I got into John Marshall and I'm not expecting any acceptances from the rest of the places I applied.  I was bummed about it at first, but I'm happy with the course list at JMLS, and even though getting a job may be harder being a John Marshall graduate, just like you I already have work experience and I really think that will help some.
Hempstead def. sounds boring, but in my opinion where there's a school, there's always the opportunity to make good friends and have fun.  And maybe living somewhere that doesnt have too much going on all the time will help you to stay focused on studying - I can't live in Chicago (I have to commute from pretty far away) but in a way that's probably a good thing - I need to stay focused and not screw up like I did in UG (my gpa was very close to yours!)

Anyway, good luck - hopefully you will get into Penn State or one of your pending schools!

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ShotJTlJH8

What kinda school is that?  :)

Obediance school?  :D

Seriously though, in regards to being stuck in Hempstead, Hofstra's located only a minute off of one of the major N-S parkways in the area (the Meadowbrook Parkway). A 10 minute drive (with no traffic) gets you to most parts of Nassau County and most of the way down to Jones Beach. I can't blame you for not wanting to live in Hempstead, but all along Hempstead Turnpike are different towns where I'm sure a student could commute from with little trouble.
Rob

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »
Just my two cents:

If you don't get into PSU, I'd think about this:

1) Hofstra is in NYC.  You are competing with every NYC school, as well as the T14 schools.   Cost-of-living is atrocious, obviously.

So if I were you, I'd ask myself if I was comfortable being there.  Hofstra doesn't have much weight outside of NYC, correct?  So you might be stuck there, unless you really network.  That is easier said than done.

I'd call up the career services there and get some answers from them, to see if it is worth it financially to you. 

2) Is your Hostra scholarship hard to keep after the first year?  If so, I'd be wary...because you're going to be waist-deep in debt, with point number one to consider. 

My gut reaction is for you to retake the LSAT and reapply next year, based on your options.  I am doing that now, and I think it was the best decision in the long run.  Good things come to those who wait.   :)

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »
I feel for you, SF. I was just at PSU's Carlisle campus last weekend, and a professor said that they typically pull people from the waitlist throughout the summer and even during orientation. There's still hope, buddy!

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »
I feel for you, SF. I was just at PSU's Carlisle campus last weekend, and a professor said that they typically pull people from the waitlist throughout the summer and even during orientation. There's still hope, buddy!

:) Thanks!

I'm currently trying to jump off the wait list, though, so they don't have to pull me. ;)

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 11:36:41 AM »

I'm currently trying to jump off the wait list, though, so they don't have to pull me. ;)

What types of things are you doing to get off the waitlist?  I'm on SIX (yep, six) waiting lists and really need to "jump" off the wait list, too.  I've already scheduled visits to two of the schools, but my budget and time constraints won't allow me to fly all over the country to personally visit all of them:(

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »

What types of things are you doing to get off the waitlist?  I'm on SIX (yep, six) waiting lists and really need to "jump" off the wait list, too.  I've already scheduled visits to two of the schools, but my budget and time constraints won't allow me to fly all over the country to personally visit all of them:(

Well, first off, a personal visit has to be huge.  I'm not engaging in that myself, but I'd imagine it helps tremendously. 

I'm just maintaining correspondence with the director of admissions, all the while being as charming as I possibly can.  I've submitted a quality letter of continued interest, short and sweet, and an additional letter of recommendation. 

I don't know what else to do, so it would be great if anyone has a suggestion.  Basically, I think it's important to let them know you want in beyond the simple, "yeah, keep me on the wait list."  That has to go a long way in separating yourself from the rest of the field, and a personal visit is just something few will do, so it's great.

I'm hoping that because of the lower number of apps this cycle (myth or reality?), schools will dig deeper into the wait list than in years passed.