Law School Discussion

"I Have No Options To Curl Up In Bed With"

"I Have No Options To Curl Up In Bed With"
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:57:58 AM »
Who, at this point, still hasn't received an invitation to attend a school they'd be truly happy to attend?

It sucks, man.

I really don't want to go to Hofstra, but I want to be an attorney so bad!

Anybody feel me?

botbot

• View Profile
Re: "I Have No Options To Curl Up In Bed With"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:15:25 AM »
There have been times when I was ready to withdraw all my apps and do the "retake LSAT and reapply next year" thing.  This is almost always because I have begun to buy into the T14 or bust mentality that is so popular on these message boards.  I then have to step back and look at the bigger picture and realize that while certain schools will give you better opportunities for certain jobs, your skills (bowhunting, etc) as a lawyer will ultimately determine how well you do in this profession.

That said, never go to a school you do not want to be at, it will only hurt you in the long run.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »
Even if you aren't excited about hofstra, go and do the best you can. Use the disappointment as motivation to show all those schools who said "no thank you" that they were wrong in their decision. Then, after a year of great performance, if hofstra really is not what you want in a law school, transfer.

I think the last post about "don't go to a school you aren't happy with" is an unrealistic way of looking at life in general. We should make the best decisions possible from the options that are available to us. Otherwise, we risk wandering around the world like Willie Loman talking about all the great things we should do "someday," rather than working our A$$es off to actually make dreams reality.

But thats just like, one opinion.Good luck wherever you go. The experience will be whatever you make of it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:01:46 AM »
Did you follow up on my recommendation and drop an app at St John's? It might not be too late. To be honest, you had so many 'dreamer' apps and not enough 'target' and 'safeties'. But even then, you've still got two other chocies there... what's up with  St. Thomas and Nova? (I'm not familiar with either of those schools).
Hofstra is throwing a good chunk of change your direction... it might be foolish to pass up on it if there's any concern about paying for law school. On the flip side, if you're really not happy with going to Hofstra, then don't. Retake the LSAT and apply to a more realistic bunch of schools (sorry, but your numbers don't indicate T-10 schools unless you seriously rock on an LSAT retake). It all depends on how happy/unhappy you are with going to Hofstra vs going to law school at all. Personally, they haven't printed enough money for me to go through all the prep work to retake the LSAT, but you may be more patient/determined.
Good luck,
Rob

kirkcameronsgf

• Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:05:31 AM »
Even if you aren't excited about hofstra, go and do the best you can. Use the disappointment as motivation to show all those schools who said "no thank you" that they were wrong in their decision. Then, after a year of great performance, if hofstra really is not what you want in a law school, transfer.

I think the last post about "don't go to a school you aren't happy with" is an unrealistic way of looking at life in general. We should make the best decisions possible from the options that are available to us. Otherwise, we risk wandering around the world like Willie Loman talking about all the great things we should do "someday," rather than working our A$$es off to actually make dreams reality.

But thats just like, one opinion.Good luck wherever you go. The experience will be whatever you make of it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Absolutely.  However, 3 years of your life is still 3 years of your life.  If you're not going to be happy where you go, what's the point?  Yes, you'll still be a lawyer, and knowing SF, he'll be a badass one at that, but he will still be stuck somewhere he doesn't want to be for 3 years, and somewhere, someone is dying to take his spot and would LOVE to be at Hofstra.

Go where you are going to be happy and are passionate about going.  I say, if PSU doesn't let you off the waitlist and you are able to, retake the LSAT and reapply again next year.  (And I hardly EVER give this option as advice, so take that into account)  ;)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:55:46 AM »

All in all this is some really good advice. But I don't think anybody should go to a school with the hopes of transferring because there is no way to know how you will perform once you get there. If you can see yourself staying at Hofstra all three years then go. If the opportunity to transfer presents itself, do it. But going in thinking like that will put you under a lot of pressure and I think that is more unrealistic than taking the LSAT, re-applying and going to a school where you will be happy. That in itself shows a lot of dedication to me. But like softskillah said, it's just my opinion.

Texas2L

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:57:54 AM »
Well, I only applied to one school for real-life (kids, wife) and geographic (only one school within driving distance that isn't a T4) reasons, and they're pretty slow.  So I still have no idea if I'm going to law school next year.  So yea.  I understand that.

Re: r
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:00:23 PM »
Feelin' you.

That sucks.  I'd be hitting on those wait lists hardcore if I were you.  

I don't think I'll be deferring a year because my goal is to be trying cases four years from now, and despite the less than preferable experience at Hofstra (assuming I don't transfer), they will still put me in position to do exactly what I want.

:-\

I've still got pending apps that I'd love to attend, but chances ain't so hot at this stage.  Penn State would make me happy, though.    

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 10:57:55 PM »

Absolutely.  However, 3 years of your life is still 3 years of your life.  If you're not going to be happy where you go, what's the point?  Yes, you'll still be a lawyer, and knowing SF, he'll be a badass one at that, but he will still be stuck somewhere he doesn't want to be for 3 years, and somewhere, someone is dying to take his spot and would LOVE to be at Hofstra.

Go where you are going to be happy and are passionate about going.  I say, if PSU doesn't let you off the waitlist and you are able to, retake the LSAT and reapply again next year.  (And I hardly EVER give this option as advice, so take that into account)  ;)

Thanks for the kind words. ;)

I am definitely considering a retake.  My ceiling is in the low to mid 160's, so a good performance could help a lot.  My concern with waiting another year is that, even though I absolutely love my job, I will have been doing it for 2 years in October and would want some new experience for the new year.  I've been looking into that a lot recently.  My finding something worthwhile may very well dictate how I handle this. 

A Penn State acceptance ends the problem, though.