Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Powerscore LR bible  (Read 681 times)

tthigpen82

• View Profile
    • Email
Powerscore LR bible
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:44:37 AM »
I am going through the Powerscore LR Bible and wonder what approach others have taken in studying this book. Is it necessary to memorize all of the rules for recognizing types of arguments, or will they become natural with the more practice tests that I take?

Also, what methods have been most effective for you? Do you mainly study the PS book and take few prep tests, or many prep test and use the PS book to explain why the problem was right or wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Powerscore LR bible
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »
I am going through the Powerscore LR Bible and wonder what approach others have taken in studying this book. Is it necessary to memorize all of the rules for recognizing types of arguments, or will they become natural with the more practice tests that I take?

Also, what methods have been most effective for you? Do you mainly study the PS book and take few prep tests, or many prep test and use the PS book to explain why the problem was right or wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm starting to think the LR bible does more harm than good.  You try to apply all these rules it talks about and it takes you away from just using your gut instincts.  With that said, the LG bible is awesome.

Ello!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:52:06 AM »
YIKES! That doesn't sound good cuz I'm going through LRB too and I try to review the rules, But I understand what you mean by it taking away from one going with her gut instincts...I'm always mulling over rules and possible SN conditions, and so forth. takes up time.

are there any better strategies/sources than the LRB? so many people beg to differ, so I'm sticking with it b/c of consensus.

might be too late for me to switch anyway.  >:(

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:53:20 PM »
well, the thing is, you need to first learn the basics, and then internalize them. once you internalize them, and become familiar with them through practice and analysis with the question types, patterns of logical structure in the arguments, trap answers, word usage, types of flaws, etc., then that "gut instinct" gets to take control. that instinct is really your educated mind recognizing and processing the material is a really efficient, and hopefully accurate, way. that's why taking and analyzing test material is such a key component of both prep courses and self-study advice.

(and when you take the test using that gut instinct is when it's getting time to take the test, in my opinion: when you aren't thinking so much, but process the test on a kind of auto-pilot, or state of "flow". )

so, in short, yeah, i do recommend the LRB and superprep (and later, maybe the new powerscore 2005 deconstructed [correction: it's 2004], though i haven't looked at it yet) for LR to learn the basic concepts and strategies. and yes, they do become easier and second nature with time and practice.

There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:02:27 AM »
I just finished going through the lr bible. I first read it completely through and took notes on the main points and key tipcs for each question type. I really want to start doing practice tests but I haven't gone through the games bible yet so I just started going through the games bible 2 days ago and hopefully when I'm done with that I can finally hit the practice tests hard. I'm also going to continuously review the lr bible notes I made so I don't forget or just push it to the back of my mind.

But I agree that I think when you read through the 500 pages of material and you've finished your just in a state of aww at how much information their is and yes it can be overwhelming especially since it's really additional strategies. I think through enough preptests and analyzing each question in depth though concepts will start to connect and you'll be able to recognize similarities in question structure and correct responses. But good luck and just keep on pushing through that bible! I know it took me a while being that it's as thick as a phone book!
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Noooo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »
so, in short, yeah, i do recommend the LRB and superprep (and later, maybe the new powerscore 2005 deconstructed, though i haven't looked at it yet) for LR to learn the basic concepts strategies. and yes, they do become easier and second nature with time and practice.

Sorry, Liz, do you mean 2005 or 2004?  I didn't know there was or will be a 2005?

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »
so, in short, yeah, i do recommend the LRB and superprep (and later, maybe the new powerscore 2005 deconstructed, though i haven't looked at it yet) for LR to learn the basic concepts strategies. and yes, they do become easier and second nature with time and practice.

Sorry, Liz, do you mean 2005 or 2004?  I didn't know there was or will be a 2005?

whoops, is it 2004? i don't have it yet.

sowwy.

::blush::
                         "The Game of Logic"

Noooo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »

[/quote]

sowwy.

[/quote]

OK, just checking, yes it's 2004.  I was going to be seriously upset if there was yet another $30 book out there that I was going to "have to" buy.

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 02:28:33 PM »

sowwy.

[/quote]

OK, just checking, yes it's 2004.  I was going to be seriously upset if there was yet another $30 book out there that I was going to "have to" buy.
[/quote]

:D

there aren't nearly as many "have to buy" books as some may lead you to believe. the bibles and superprep, and the real tests. i'm sure the deconstruction book is good, but i haven't looked at it yet.
                         "The Game of Logic"