Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For Current Applicants: Random Tips and Answers from 1L's  (Read 1793 times)

ruskiegirl

For Current Applicants: Random Tips and Answers from 1L's
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:55:23 PM »
Ok, here are a few points of information I would have liked to know when I was applying to law school:

1)Just because you send in your application early, doesn't mean you will get a decision sooner than someone who sent theirs in 4 weeks after you.

2)Schools you consider your safeties will, in some cases, waitlist or reject you.

3)Ask about travel vouchers for schools that have admit days.  They will often pay your way there.

4)If a law school loses some portion of your application (that you know you sent in), appologize, take the blame, and offer to send them a replacement.

5) Not all schools have deposit fees.

Things about law school:

1) People always want to know how much work you are actually expected to do.  Your reading load will not be much heavier than it was in undergrad, but be forewarned, the reading in law school is much more dense.  Whereas in undergrad you could probably read about 40 pages per hour, expect to only get through about 10 per hour in law school (reading notes and case brief not included).  Usually, that adds up to about 5-6 hours per night.

2) You will be competing against an intellectual elite, so please leave your ego at home.  You WILL be humbled, whether it's by your professors or your classmates.

3)Get the partying out of your system early.  Most students, especially those who attend schools with very strict grading curves (think Hastings) live at the library.  That's not to say that you cannot schedule the occasional beer with a friend, but don't expect to be at the club every weekend and still do well in your classes.

4) If you have had previous clasess in law (con law, business law, etc.) don't try to impress everyone with your knowlege. (See point of advice #2).

5) Buy a laptop and bring it to class to take notes. Seriously.  The lecture usually goes fast and you are likely to have a hard time trying to write down everything the prof says. 

Ok, that's it for now.  Any other 1L's, please feel free to chime in.

dgatl

Re: For Current Applicants: Random Tips and Answers from 1L's
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 09:57:37 PM »
i agree with the Russian.  i posted something similar a few weeks ago.  my only other word of advice is to keep your mouth shut in class because no one wants to hear you talk anyway.  people are paying too much to listen to the gunners talk and bring up bull hypos

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 11:49:30 PM »
i agree with the Russian.  i posted something similar a few weeks ago.  my only other word of advice is to keep your mouth shut in class because no one wants to hear you talk anyway.  people are paying too much to listen to the gunners talk and bring up bull hypos
Amen to that!  The professors probably tolerate it less than the students.  One of our "red hots" was going off on an unrelated tangent -- designed specifically to demonstrate his superior knowlege of legal terminology -- the professor interrupted him, rolled her eyes and went back to lecturing.  I am sure no one wants to be on the receiving end of that!

Lipper316

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 12:00:32 AM »
In regard to the social aspect of law school, Do not think that your social life will end. It will suffer an instrumental blow, however, if you do the work during the week, work all day sunday at the library, and take most of saturday to review the week's past material - hey, you could totally go out on friday night. It sounds like I am being sarcastic, but when you are attending classes Monday - Friday, and while not in class, are reading, briefing, etc. in the library. When Friday night comes along, and know u can sleep as late as you want the next day, just as long as you know you will work your ass off for the rest of the weekend, I am all about getting a little bad.

Not sure if this post made sense, but what I am saying is, If u wanna take one night out of the week, probably a friday night, it is possible. Oh and one more thing...this only pertains to the first 2 months of classes, cause once the first week of Nov. hits, it all hits the fan, social life goes out the window, and its all about livin in the lib!

BlueGirl

• I miss the squirrel...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 12:18:19 AM »
Ok, here are a few points of information I would have liked to know when I was applying to law   Whereas in undergrad you could probably read about 40 pages per hour, expect to only get through about 10 per hour in law school (reading notes and case brief not included). 

10 per hour!  Awesome!  I can currently do only 3-5 pages per hour.  Good to know law books are easier to read than math books.  Probably heavier, though.  :(

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 12:32:30 AM »
In regard to the social aspect of law school, Do not think that your social life will end. It will suffer an instrumental blow, however, if you do the work during the week, work all day sunday at the library, and take most of saturday to review the week's past material - hey, you could totally go out on friday night. It sounds like I am being sarcastic, but when you are attending classes Monday - Friday, and while not in class, are reading, briefing, etc. in the library. When Friday night comes along, and know u can sleep as late as you want the next day, just as long as you know you will work your ass off for the rest of the weekend, I am all about getting a little bad.

Not sure if this post made sense, but what I am saying is, If u wanna take one night out of the week, probably a friday night, it is possible. Oh and one more thing...this only pertains to the first 2 months of classes, cause once the first week of Nov. hits, it all hits the fan, social life goes out the window, and its all about livin in the lib!
I agree completely.  I take Saturday as my day to relax and do things I enjoy (that are not related to law school).  It's important to relax and give yourself a break every once in a while, if for no other reason than to prevent a mid-october burnout.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 12:46:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips, 1L's!  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 02:21:10 AM »
Prepare to be dominated by Chris Leak Ruskie
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

ruskiegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 02:35:32 AM »
Prepare to be dominated by Chris Leak Ruskie
I'll get dominated by Chris Leak any day.  He's sexy.  As for the Vols, I don't think that Albee Toeina is going to have no trouble dominating his skinny ass. ;)

TheDecline

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 09:49:08 AM »
"The Florida Domination...to be continued 9/18/04" - Official Gator Hater

1993    UF:41      UT:34
1994    UF:31      UT:0
1995    UF:62      UT:37
1996    UF:35      UT:29
1997    UF:33      UT:20
1998    UF:17      UT:20   x
1999    UF:23      UT:21
2000    UF:27      UT:23
2001    UF:32      UT:34   x
2002    UF:33      UT:10
2003    UF:10      UT:24   x

If by domination you mean Tennessee loses to Florida alot, then yes you have a good point. ;D

P.S. Neyland Stadium is our second home