Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which GPA do law schools accept?  (Read 3497 times)

Victor

Which GPA do law schools accept?
« on: March 06, 2004, 09:33:16 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=coollady_1974

This person has:

Degree Granting GPA: 3.45
LSDAS GPA: 2.69

Which one do law schools accept? the first or second one? and what are possible reasons for her LSDAS GPA being a 2.69 ? I heard if you withdraw from courses they take points off.

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which GPA do law schools accept?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 10:52:40 AM »
They take the LSDAS GPA (with only 1 maybe 2 exceptions). The LSDAS could be lower due to classes they took at other institutions (like community college etc.).

sofocused

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 11:38:20 AM »
Do they use the LSDAS GPA for reporting purposes only?  I think if you have a huge (.5 points and up) disparity between the LSDAS GPA and the Degree Granting GPA they will consider that in the admissions process.  Its the same thing with the LSAT--if you have an 8 point difference bewteen two LSAT scores, most schools will consider the higher score even if they do average both scores.   

apartment

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 06:12:40 PM »
The lower GPA can also be due to failing a class and retaking the class for a higher grade.  Many schools will drop failed classes entirely from a GPA if the student retakes the course and passes on the second attempt.  The LSDAS will include grades for all completed courses without regard to the individual policy of the school.  So if you fail a class and retake it for an A, the LSDAS will include both a failing grade and an 'A' in the GPA calculation.  That probably causes the biggest changes in GPA.

Other possible reasons include adding in undergrad grades from other schools (as a previous poster mentioned) and even deflating grades of schools that are not on a standard scale.  (LSDAS curves all grades to the same scale.) 

I don't believe withdrawn classes necessarily bring the LSDAS gpa down.  I withdrew from a class (my schedule was overloaded) but it did not affect my LSDAS gpa at all, even though the withdrawn class was clearly noted on my transcript.

I'm sure once in committee, most schools would look closely at the cause of such a sharp drop in GPA.  If it's something minor, such as an AP class from high school in some irrelevant subject, they would use the higher GPA.  Unfortunately, depending on the formula used, a person whose LSDAS gpa is very low may not make it to committee.  A 3.45 is pretty competitive at many schools, a 2.69 will get auto-rejected at most schools even if the LSAT is fairly high.

The index formulas for most schools are published and the schools that use degree gpa vs. lsdas gpa are noted on the formula sheet.  If a school lets the lsdas calculate the index for them, they may never notice that the degree GPA is much higher.  If possible, this person should write an addendum explaining any wacky gpa calculation problems or moments of academic coma on her part.

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 09:44:04 AM »
You guys really worried me.
I am a current freshamn thinking of law school. I am studying in Turkey (the country lol) , engineering and have a 3.3 . I know that it is not good at all for the law schools I hopefully will apply. So, I am trnasfering next year to the University of Toronto, and to the department of Economics. As I know, they will transfer some courses I am taking right now in here, but they will not be included in the GPA (good for me, because that way I will have a higher GPA) however, if they include the GPS from this school (3.3) then my GPA will fall way down.
Has anybody transfered in college and later apply to law school? If so, can you tell me how did they consider your previous grades? please note that I am transfering from engineering to economics (not same departments)

apartment

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 10:26:40 AM »
Any grades for coursese for which you are granted credit towards the degree are counted in the GPA.  It does not matter if they weren't in the same school, same department, or same country.

All the grades are curved to the same scale and then averaged together.

hdsteele

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 10:57:30 AM »
QUTOE: "A 3.45 is pretty competitive at many schools, a 2.69 will get auto-rejected at most schools even if the LSAT is fairly high."

I have an overall GPA of about 2.5.  What brings it down is my school "work" 30 years ago (1973-1975).  Since going back 2002-2004 I have a 3.8.  Degree Granting is about 3.2.  Does the quote above mean I'm out before I even apply at virtually all schools even though it was 30 friggin years ago!?!?!?

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:18:37 AM »
not at all, frankly if your LSAT is high enough you can overcome almost any poor gpa. This is Especailly the case if your crappy school days are WAY behind you. Look at my stats - not a great LSAT, but still high enough to get in at some top 25's. A 2.69 can be overcome with 160-170, depending on the school of course.
gl

Victor

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 12:56:13 PM »
not at all, frankly if your LSAT is high enough you can overcome almost any poor gpa. This is Especailly the case if your crappy school days are WAY behind you. Look at my stats - not a great LSAT, but still high enough to get in at some top 25's. A 2.69 can be overcome with 160-170, depending on the school of course.
gl

Cool, are you on lawschoolnumbers? Those are not my numbers by the way.

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 01:48:02 PM »
yes - same username - btw maybe Im full of it because I just got rejected by BC :'(