Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Virginia Class of 2010  (Read 72635 times)

liz21

• View Profile
Re: University of Virginia Class of 2010
« Reply #1630 on: August 08, 2007, 08:16:56 PM »
Quick question/clarification: registration starts August 22nd, right? Exactly what do you do to register? I just need to be sure to do that as soon as possible so I can get the loan process moving (show me the money!)

Also, where will the sections be posted?

thanks!
University of Virginia '10

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 08, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
Quick question/clarification: registration starts August 22nd, right? Exactly what do you do to register? I just need to be sure to do that as soon as possible so I can get the loan process moving (show me the money!)

thanks!
No we have our orientation on Monday Aug 20th and Tuesday (first year students). Classes start on the 22nd. I'm not sure how you find out your section but i got an email saying that they will start making them on aug 13th and should be done no later than next friday.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 09, 2007, 09:38:07 AM »
Rising 2Ls,  how many OCI an average person get. Goodfella, If you dont mind asking you, how many you have?

I've got thirteen for August week--I think you're allowed up to twenty-five for August week, and then another fifteen or so during the September week. The firms are randomly divided, with two-thirds going in August and one-third in late September. Generally speaking, the lower your grades, the closer you should get to the maximum, at least according to the career services people.

Sorry about the lack of sections. Now that I think about it, I only got my section assignment a week or so before classes started. And I didn't have all my assignments for the first day of class until mid-day Monday of orientation (don't panic if this happens to you, and don't be overwhelmed if you start reading your first case and feel like it's impossible). The section assignment list will be posted in the law school and sent out via e-mail the moment it is finished, likely in an excel file (use google docs to check it out if you don't have excel).

Happy to answer any other questions in these final few days :)

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 09, 2007, 09:39:46 AM »

thanks!

And there is no registration really--I think you may sign one or two things during orientation and get your photo taken (for the online photo directory--be warned!) but it's essentially automatic.

liz21

• View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 09, 2007, 10:24:29 AM »
Ok sounds like I can do that  :) Today we're packing up the Uhaul and tomorrow we head for Ivy...can't wait!
University of Virginia '10

DanHittite

• View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: August 09, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
I just decided that I am going to UVa this fall within the last week. I don't have a place lined up or anything. Anyone know where a good spot to look for housing is? If anyone knows some people who are still looking for roommates, that would be pretty clutch. I thought I was going to go to Cornell and then had a change of heart and now I'm headed to UVa! Any advice in general would be very helpful.
Attending: UVa!
Waitlist: Penn
Accepted: Cornell, GW, UVa

DrAjay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1636 on: August 10, 2007, 09:22:24 AM »
Check U hts on Ivy road. Last year they were few available in mid August.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: August 10, 2007, 10:31:49 AM »
Check U hts on Ivy road. Last year they were few available in mid August.
Unfortunately I believe they only have one or two apts left and they are all available in Sept. You can still call; maybe they were talking about the particular apartment i was looking for. Here is their website www.uheights.net
The place is close to the law school (like 1 mile away) and is pretty decent. That's where i will live anyway.

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: August 10, 2007, 11:18:51 AM »
Rising 2Ls,  how many OCI an average person get. Goodfella, If you dont mind asking you, how many you have?

I seem to remember Career Services stating during an info session that the average number of interviews for 2Ls during the 2006 OGI was 22 or so. 

When it comes to interviews, students are either selected for an interview, selected to be an alternate, or politely informed that no interview is available.  During August OGI students are allowed to keep up to 25 selections for interviews and must cancel any additional ones.  Students are also allowed to carry an additional 5 alternate slots, which have a good chance of becoming selections.  In 2005, I believe 75% of the alternate slots became selections. 

During the September OGI you are allowed to keep enough interviews to bring the total number to around 35 if I remember correctly, although it was suggested that CS would fudge some on the September limit since many students will have job offers by that point and decline to interview in September.

There is also a lottery system through which employers fill a number of their interview slots.  Each student has points (total of 20 I think) to bid on these lottery slots.  A lottery slot can even be won by bidding zero points.  In fact I managed to get seven lottery interviews and I only bid actual points on two of them.  Up to 10 interviews can be acquired through the lottery. 

Probably more info than you wanted but I hope that helps.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

UVa class of 09.

DrAjay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1639 on: August 10, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
I thank you for the info.