Author Topic: SMU  (Read 25200 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: SMU
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2007, 02:41:05 PM »

:D

yeah, with so many late acceptances expected, how many people will end up on the waitlist?

After applying in november, getting deferred, then waiting until the absolute last minute to give a decision, I'm seriously not going to be amused to get waitlisted.  Even though it seems likely, it'll be hard.  I'm running out of things to tell friends/family - I've been saying "could be anytime!!" for 6 months.  Not that I'd prefer a rejection to a waitlist, mind you.  Just the waiting is pretty bad.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »
sounds like me applying ed to ut and sitting on the waitlist now :(

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2007, 03:00:14 PM »
Aside from the whole acceptances at 6 other schools thing, yea.  :)

i heart wind power

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »
Given my cycle so far, I can't help but foresee another WL coming from SMU. :(
Ridin' the Green Wave to 2010...

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
Yea, I think WL is likely for me too.  Guess I'm not quite done yet, each day without a rejection letter is hope!

Ever162

• Sr. Citizen
  • SMU 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2007, 03:37:03 PM »
The thing is though, I'm not too elated about the possibility of working in Houston after graduating.  I have never lived there, but its hard to imagine it *not* being a nasty commute.  I think of the two, I'd rather live in Dallas, but at this point in the game I don't think thats enough to justify me spending twice the tuition for SMU. 

If they offered me some scholarship money (its so late that I think this won't happen) I would be tempted to make the move.  My girlfriend lives there now and works downtown, so we would be back in the same city.  She could transfer to downtown Houston also though.  So I guess it comes down to (assuming no scholarship) 45k more in debt to go to SMU and live in Dallas where my SO wouldn't have to relocate vs. living in Houston and my SO relocating.

I dunno, this situation has me leaning towards Houston even though I really am not sure that I'll love the city.

(This isn't meant to be a mean post by any means)

Then work in Dallas after you graduate. Everyone need to stop acting like SMU, Houston, and all the other schools are limited to their home cities. It is merely easier to stay in the home city, there is nothing difficult about finding a job outside of the school's home city. Any grad from a Texas law school can easily work in any city within Texas, including Austin.

Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all, the details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
for me....
i hate moving.
i like dfw, and i just downsized from a house to a 3 bedroom duplex, and will downsize again for law school.  i don't want to haul my junk over a long move, so moving across the metroplex is a much better option that across the state.

and i really don't want to end up going to law school in the boonies (texas tech) and having to figure out what to do with my dog over the summer so i can get a summer gig in a real city).
i'm happy with staying in dallas and taking my chances on networking to find a summer gig in dfw
and i'm happy taking my chances with all of the other people i'll be competing against for jobs in dfw so i can stay in dfw after law school.

so smu is great for me.
i'm just lazy like that.

walkaway

• Sr. Citizen
  • fuggi regal fantasima
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »
I agree with the poster that said about the Texas portability of law degrees. Within Texas it's not that difficult to move around, I've heard of several UH grads living in Dallas right after. Both of those markets are large enough that theres got to be at least some mixing b/t the cities. And I've heard Baker Botts is opening an office in Austin sometime soon, so that could definitely open up new possibilities. Houston also increases your financial aid your first year for buying a laptop, which is kind of nice if you don't have the money for one.
ave ave history is on my side...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

shooter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2007, 05:51:56 PM »
So I've been following this thread waiting impatiently and wanted to let ya'll know I got the phone call from Maggie today saying I was accepted and the letter is in the mail. So they are defintely NOT through accepting people. And good look to all you still waiting. I was complete in November so I feel your pain.
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand." -- Lucas Jackson
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=shooter

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
Where do you get your information? Baker Botts has had an office in Austin since 1982.
W&L Class of 2010