Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA vs UConn  (Read 2028 times)

Rooster

• Sr. Citizen
  • This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA vs UConn
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
I work with the CT state legislature and I can verify EVERYONE has a UConn Law degree. When I mention to the lawyers in my office that I'm considering Tulane Law they look at me funny.

Yeah, but if you told them Harvard or Stanford they wouldn't look at you funny. I think that's the point of the OP's question - in this sense, is UCLA more akin to H/S or Tulane?

Yea, that's essentially my question.

Basically I've heard that UCLA is quasi-national...and Boston is pretty insular.  So, would having the UCLA degree be of any real benefit over UConn (for working in Boston)?
In ^_^= UConn, UCLA, Temple, Quinnipiac
Out, el oh el= BC, Georgetown, Michigan

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »
I work with the CT state legislature and I can verify EVERYONE has a UConn Law degree. When I mention to the lawyers in my office that I'm considering Tulane Law they look at me funny.

Yeah, but if you told them Harvard or Stanford they wouldn't look at you funny. I think that's the point of the OP's question - in this sense, is UCLA more akin to H/S or Tulane?

Basically I've heard that UCLA is quasi-national...and Boston is pretty insular.  So, would having the UCLA degree be of any real benefit over UConn (for working in Boston)?
yes it would.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Rooster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 08:07:08 PM »

yes it would.

Can you explain a little more :)

jane426

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
I also went to the ASD at UConn.  While I do agree with Greenlaw's assessment of the knowlegable faculty, funny new dean speech, beautiful campus, pretty buildings, and open door policy, I have strong reservations about going there. I currently live in Boston, and moving to Hartford would be a huge change for me. I spent part of the rest of the day driving around the "neighborhoods" to see what it would be like there, and it just didn't feel right.  The campus is so secluded, and missing a lot of benefits to being on an undergrad campus, like gym facilities, coffee shops, good bookstore, etc.  I thought I would like that it was separated because it would be quieter and easier to focus, but it turns out that's just not for me.  It was so small that the tour lasted about 10-15 minutes.  I think I have decided not to send deposit in, and focus on Catholic vs. UColorado Boulder now.  While it was nice change of scenery for a day trip, I cannot see myself being stuck living in such a small area, and Hartford isn't really my cup of tea...not a knock on Hartford, but just my personal taste.  It's not very cultural or fun and I can't see myself living there...to each their own.

Best of luck everyone!

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 10:00:15 PM »
It's not very cultural or fun and I can't see myself living there...to each their own.

Best of luck everyone!

brazilian hater

Rooster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 11:56:07 AM »
I can't imagine that Connecticut places better in Boston than UCLA.  Government stuff, esp. to the extent that you're playing politics, might be (probably is?) different.  But I don't think UConn is terribly highly regarded even in New England, and Boston is not the sort of insular market for which you need to worry about this.

Of course, the best thing to do is actually look at numbers.

The problem is so few UCLA grads want to go to Boston.  Career services tells me about 3-4 students per year.  So I think there are more UConn alums there.

vzuffante

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 03:50:41 PM »
Bran doesnt know what he/she is talking about. UCONN is very highly regarded in New England, especially in CT, RI, and MA.

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »
It is the best public university in New England in most people's estimation. Do you have some private agenda/personal issue with jocks or Syracuse that is behind all this vitriol?

Law School Hero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Telepathy doesn't seem to be having any effect...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 08:23:40 AM »
UCLA is a much better school and is clearly more highly regarded in Boston--apart from money concerns (or personal location issues) there is no reason to even think twice about this decision.

so you are basically saying, 'apart from the reasons to think twice about this decision (money, personal location issues), there is no reason to even think twice about this decision.  useful.

Law School Hero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Telepathy doesn't seem to be having any effect...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 08:28:06 AM »
i'd say you should at least visit ucla.  it is ranked enough higher than uconn and does have enough national pull that you should at least look at it.  if after looking at it, you still feel like uconn is for you then go there.   i don't think uconn would have an advantage over ucla in boston.  i agree with previous posters that ucla would have an edge.