Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How many more years until College and Graduate AA programs are scrapped?

1-2 years
2-5 years
5-10 years
10+ years

Author Topic: Poll: How much longer does AA have?  (Read 5461 times)

Louis55

• View Profile
Re: Poll: How much longer does AA have?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 02:19:18 PM »
I don't know which form of AA we are talking about, but I say it will always exist as long as we live in a racially conscious and diverse society where diversity is considered a goal.  We usually speak about affirmative action in terms of the under-qualified black student stealing the spot of the overly qualified white guy.  But even when blacks scores are identical to whites scores, in a racial conscious society where diversity is valued on various levels, admissions officers will try to accept a class of a certain racial, ethnic, cultural, geographic, and gender makeup. 

AA will only end when our society becomes a true meritocracy where there is no personal statement nor any other personal information included on an application besides numbers.  Or our society moves back to a time when only one specific group (white males) were granted access to certain educational and occupational privileges, therefore making diversity irrelevant.

Americas_top_trial_lawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 06:29:16 PM »
Well if we had affirmative action for white men for 400+ years in America, I'd suspect we would need to have it for atleast another 400+ years for people of color and white women.
I don't have to think, only have to do it, the results are always perfect, and that's old news-Kurt Kobain.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Well if we had affirmative action for white men for 400+ years in America, I'd suspect we would need to have it for atleast another 400+ years for people of color and white women.

Not to be picky, but near where I go to school, they just had the 400 anniversary of the landing of Jamestown, in 1607 (The queen of England visited for it). I think Jamestown was the first permanent settlement in present day United States-permanent being the key word as their were earlier attempts.  Not sure on dates of puritans and pilgrims but there were I think in the time frame between 1620-1630, so your 400+ years, is actually just under 400 years.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »

Not to be picky, but near where I go to school, they just had the 400 anniversary of the landing of Jamestown, in 1607 (The queen of England visited for it). I think Jamestown was the first permanent settlement in present day United States-permanent being the key word as their were earlier attempts.  Not sure on dates of puritans and pilgrims but there were I think in the time frame between 1620-1630, so your 400+ years, is actually just under 400 years.

Actually St. Augustine in FL was the first settlement- and Jamestown wasn't even permanent. By 1700 it ceased to exist anymore and almost all of the buildings that you see now were just recreated.
UMiami c/o 2010

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 12:36:07 AM »

No one chooses to respond to your comments because you're a dense, repetitive fucktard who doesn't actually say anything.

That's fine. Carry on with the shtick, and I'll carry on with mine. We'll see who has more fun ;)

curb the personal attacks please.  thanks
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 12:53:50 AM »
affirmative action which does damage to the voiceless and powerless. 

Eh?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 11:06:09 PM »

Actually St. Augustine in FL was the first settlement- and Jamestown wasn't even permanent. By 1700 it ceased to exist anymore and almost all of the buildings that you see now were just recreated.

First permanent *English* settlement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamestown,_Virginia

There was a SUPER interesting article on Jamestown in a recent issue of National Geographic.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »
but it wasn't permanent. Sure, it was English and it was the first but its not permanent,and please don't use wikipedia as a source.

Also, that National Geographic article was awesome and a little weird- especially how they ate dogs and rats. I wonder if that account of the guy killing and eating is pregnant wife is true....Hmmm?
UMiami c/o 2010

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »
I guess it depends on the definition of permanent.  No human settlement is really ever permanent.  It seems that Jamestown is widely defined that way compared to earlier settlements, so what was the difference? 
Michigan Law Class of 2010

rainmaker10

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 05:51:12 PM »
Things like welfare and medicare benefit mostly poor white people.  come on man.

There are more whites living below the poverty level than blacks, so that make sense.  Don't try and make it sound like whites (overall) benefit more from welfare programs than blacks (overall). 

Clearly, there are more white people in the United States than there are black people, so, of course, there will be a greater amount of whites in any category than blacks. Other than prison/death row statistics, where blacks clearly outnumber whites, the white population will always be greater than that of the black population.