Law School Discussion

Parking...

timthegolfguy

• 3.29 / 174
    • View Profile
    • Email
Parking...
« on: September 14, 2004, 05:09:10 PM »
OK, out of curiousity from anyone who may know, is there parking available at Columbia or any other NY Law School for that matter. I've been to NYC before and I know what people pay for parking, but I thought there might be a special garage for the university? Just curious - trying to clear up a point on which my wife and I differ.

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: Parking...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 05:22:01 PM »
No, I believe you'll have to pay for your own parking.  You might get student discount on parking, but that's it.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 05:25:16 PM »
bringing a car to NYC? are you sure you want to pay for that?

DOWNY

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 05:32:07 PM »
OK, out of curiousity from anyone who may know, is there parking available at Columbia or any other NY Law School for that matter. I've been to NYC before and I know what people pay for parking, but I thought there might be a special garage for the university? Just curious - trying to clear up a point on which my wife and I differ.

Parking at Columbia is not nearly as bad as you may think.

Purchasing a pass at a local garage is your best bet. Or, you can entertain one of the DOWNY Parking Methods, which are to secure a handicapped pass from a doctor by faking a leg injury, or simply park your car on the sidewalk behind the law school next to the dumpster (the parking police rarely go back there).

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 05:36:17 PM »

Purchasing a pass at a local garage is your best bet. Or, you can entertain one of the DOWNY Parking Methods, which are to secure a handicapped pass from a doctor by faking a leg injury, or simply park your car on the sidewalk behind the law school next to the dumpster (the parking police rarely go back there).

Hahaha, or get a PBA sticker and affix to your windshield.

timthegolfguy

• 3.29 / 174
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »

DOWNY, ballpark what would you expect to pay for a local garage pass?

I know bringing a car to NYC is crazy, but if I decided to go to school there I don't really know what else I would do with it.

dr_draino

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 05:52:27 PM »
Sell it???

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 05:54:56 PM »
from what ive heard, there are no student lots.  only for faculty, if that. 

to park a car in nyc is just dumb unless you dont mind forking over $400+ per month for a parking spot.  you might as well put that toward your rent and use pt.

timthegolfguy

• 3.29 / 174
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 06:11:19 PM »
Sell it???

way upside down on the loan at this point - I would probably need to come up w/ about 6 - 8K to get out from under it. I rolled another car that I got screwed on into it - the worst economic decision of my life.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 08:01:38 PM »
I don't even like taking taxis in NY, much less trying to park there.  Walking and subway are perfect for me.