Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD's new USNWR Ranking...What's Up?  (Read 1423 times)

jmb

• View Profile
USD's new USNWR Ranking...What's Up?
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:12:20 PM »
Hi All...

I've been searching for info on USD's recent plummet in the USNWR rankings, and haven't found anything.  So I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

So what happened with USD?  Any insight would be helpful...a jump from 65 to 85 has to draw some red flags.  I know USD's bar passage rate wasn't their best last year, but this kind of jump seems bizarre.  I know most of you believe that second tier is second tier, regardless of number. 

But what happened?  Is this a reflection of decreased quality or a fluke?

kelley123

• View Profile
Re: USD's new USNWR Ranking...What's Up?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »
I was visiting the day the new rankings were released and here is what the prof for the class I was sitting in said. More than half the reason their rank fell was due to their drop in employment 9 months after graduation. He said that most schools make this number up or employ grads to the university at like 8.5 months and let them go a few weeks later to boost their numbers. He said USD doesn't do that...also he said that the stat would go back up next year since 92% of grads had jobs. the other main reason he said the ranking dropped is the score that other attorneys/judges/etc give the school. No real response to this other than he said since USD hadn't been to the final four in awhile, many outside of CA hadn't heard of it really and thought it was a regional law school, scoring it lower.

Idk if its a fluke or not... but thats what the prof said, make of it what you will...
<3 Temple, USD, Loyola Chicago$, Pace$$, St. Louis$$
<?3 (WL)  AU, UMD, Brooklyn
</3 Fordham, BC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kelley123

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:11:05 PM »
TITCR ---

But shouldn't you be considering a T2 school's reputation in the place you want to be practicing, relative to other competitors, at that rate? (e.g. I'm wondering if a lot of ppl doing hiring in Chicago think Loyola is just better than DePaul - even though it is like a 3 pt difference??)

I would think there could even be cases where one T2 school has a lower rank than another but it might still have an advantage in the market they are competing over...

(like last year L&C was below Oregon, but they were supposedly the go-to school in Portland, and they had significantly better lsat scores to top it all off)

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »
It's really sad to see USD falling below Pepperdine and into the likes of Pacific and Santa Clara.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 01:55:54 PM »
It's really sad to see USD falling below Pepperdine and into the likes of Pacific and Santa Clara.

It's not sad.  It's wrong.  I know I'm biased, but there is no way that the schools surrounding USD are on par as far as quality of the school goes.  I compared USDs "ranking" stats with those of schools ranked in the 60s and 70s, and other than the somewhat poor employment rates and lawyer/judge assessment, USD trumps most of them.  It really doesn't make sense IMO, and I'm confident they'll go back to where they deserve in next year's rankings.

I also am confused why USDs website says that by 9 months after grad, 93% had jobs and USNWR has 86%.  Both for 2005.  The 7% difference would be huge as far as the overall score is concerned, I believe.
USD 2010

Auelan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Auelan01
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »
I also am confused why USDs website says that by 9 months after grad, 93% had jobs and USNWR has 86%.  Both for 2005.  The 7% difference would be huge as far as the overall score is concerned, I believe.

That certainly would make a huge difference. I think you'd be justified in calling the school and asking about that. Cara Mitnick in the career services office has been INCREDIBLY helpful to me by answering some specific questions I've had throughout the cycle.

jmb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 01:03:16 AM »
Received this email from USD Today:

-----------------
"Dear XXX,

We have received a few inquiries about the new law school rankings from U.S. News & World Report. Our tax program is ranked 10th in the country, and the overall "peer assessment" score for the University of San Diego School of Law—the ranking of the school by faculty and deans at other law schools—is 48th, higher than every other private law school in California except Stanford and USC. However, our overall rating declined, and some prospective students have asked for our perspective.

Our initial analysis indicates that a very large percentage of the movement is attributable to a fairly small decline in our reported employment rate at nine months after graduation—down from 89% to 86%. We have recently become aware that our approach to answering some of the U.S. News placement questions was inconsistent with that followed by many other law schools, resulting in an understatement of our placement rates in comparison with those schools. It is also worth noting that the placement data employed by U.S. News lags behind the most recent data. This year's U.S. News rankings are based on data for the Class of 2005; the employment rate for our Class of 2006 for nine months after graduation will exceed 92% if the U.S. News formula remains the same as this year.

In light of changes in our career services office, we anticipate even greater growth in our students' job prospects. Our new assistant dean of career services joined us just one week before the Class of 2006 graduated, and her staff and the resources available for their use have been greatly enhanced. We added 1.5 employees to the office for this academic year, and will be adding another position to the office this coming fall. In addition, we have recently secured a $250,000 contribution, as part of our current major fundraising campaign, specifically earmarked for enhancing student services, including career services. Moreover, we are expanding and renovating our career services offices this coming summer in time for the arrival of our new class. These tangible steps illustrate Dean Cole's continuing commitment to enhancing the support provided to students during their job searches.

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me at eging@sandiego.edu or (619) 260-4528 or my associate director, Jorge Garcia, at jorgegarcia@sandiego.edu or (619) 260-2981. I look forward to welcoming you in August as you begin your legal careers.

Carl Eging
Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid
University of San Diego School of Law"
------------------
I agree that it is sad to see USD fall to the ranks of other CA Law Schools like McGeorge, SCU, and even Pepperdine.  I know TT is TT, but what if a jump from 65 to 85 indicates that next year, TTT is in the cards?

Also, the Dean says "I look forward to welcoming you in Auguet as you begin your legal careers."  I haven't been admitted yet.  Does this mean an acceptance is on the way or are they just being cruel?  Any thoughts?

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »
Yeap, hopefully it's a wake up call and they'll get it together for next year.

AlexFerden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 10:03:48 AM »
JMB,

I am with you across the board on your thoughts...

Also, I applied USD and did not receive that email. My numbers are also far below the median and I have yet to receive a decision. 

I take it you're in?

Congrats!  ;)
Loyola-Chicago 2010

thesingingbass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »
Received this email from USD Today:

-----------------
"Dear XXX,

We have received a few inquiries about the new law school rankings from U.S. News & World Report. Our tax program is ranked 10th in the country, and the overall "peer assessment" score for the University of San Diego School of Law—the ranking of the school by faculty and deans at other law schools—is 48th, higher than every other private law school in California except Stanford and USC. However, our overall rating declined, and some prospective students have asked for our perspective.

Our initial analysis indicates that a very large percentage of the movement is attributable to a fairly small decline in our reported employment rate at nine months after graduation—down from 89% to 86%. We have recently become aware that our approach to answering some of the U.S. News placement questions was inconsistent with that followed by many other law schools, resulting in an understatement of our placement rates in comparison with those schools. It is also worth noting that the placement data employed by U.S. News lags behind the most recent data. This year's U.S. News rankings are based on data for the Class of 2005; the employment rate for our Class of 2006 for nine months after graduation will exceed 92% if the U.S. News formula remains the same as this year.

In light of changes in our career services office, we anticipate even greater growth in our students' job prospects. Our new assistant dean of career services joined us just one week before the Class of 2006 graduated, and her staff and the resources available for their use have been greatly enhanced. We added 1.5 employees to the office for this academic year, and will be adding another position to the office this coming fall. In addition, we have recently secured a $250,000 contribution, as part of our current major fundraising campaign, specifically earmarked for enhancing student services, including career services. Moreover, we are expanding and renovating our career services offices this coming summer in time for the arrival of our new class. These tangible steps illustrate Dean Cole's continuing commitment to enhancing the support provided to students during their job searches.

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me at eging@sandiego.edu or (619) 260-4528 or my associate director, Jorge Garcia, at jorgegarcia@sandiego.edu or (619) 260-2981. I look forward to welcoming you in August as you begin your legal careers.

Carl Eging
Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid
University of San Diego School of Law"
------------------
I agree that it is sad to see USD fall to the ranks of other CA Law Schools like McGeorge, SCU, and even Pepperdine.  I know TT is TT, but what if a jump from 65 to 85 indicates that next year, TTT is in the cards?

Also, the Dean says "I look forward to welcoming you in Auguet as you begin your legal careers."  I haven't been admitted yet.  Does this mean an acceptance is on the way or are they just being cruel?  Any thoughts?

FWIW, it took their acceptance letter a little over a week to get to me. Maybe yours is in the mail