Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Case Western '10!  (Read 14966 times)

Floyd77803

• View Profile
Re: Case Western '10!
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
I'm actually a 2L transfer student, but I assume the financial aid procedures are similar for incoming students.  I have already applied for my loans through my lender and they are awaiting approval from CASE.  I e-mailed them last week to ask about the status and they replied that the financial aid applications had just been completed and they would be mailing out information to students this week.  Hopefully we can expect something in the mail shortly.  I agree it is a bit scary to be uncertain of the status of your loans, but once the school approves them it goes pretty smoothly. 

mikey22

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
what school did you transfer from? and why did you choose case?
CWRU '10

ebirt07

• View Profile
Re: Summer Problems with Administration a Warning Flag?
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2007, 08:51:45 PM »
We can't order our computer from Dell until we get our CaseID, which still hasn't come

Yeah you can.  Go to the ID website, put in your SSN and name, and, presto! Case ID.

Pops

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »
I wouldnt worry about not getting your financial aid stuff as I most havent got their financial aid info packets although they were mailed out last week according to the financial aid director who I had to talk to about my "fafsa review."  Honestly though, its not a huge deal as they wont put your stuff in until the first day of orientation and as such you wont get any money until mid-september.  While that blows, it is standard operating procedure for schools, or at least has been the case for my other friends in law school which totals 7 diff schools.

myself

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »
Just to make sure everyone's aware: you can often get a better deal at Dell by watching sites like www.gotapex.com for a deal - Dell is at the top pretty much every day.  Case's "bundles" SUCK price-wise, too.  You're better off getting a PC through the normal deals, formatting the hard drive to get rid of their junk software, then ordering OEM/student Office and Vista Ultimate from Newegg.com or some other trustworthy site. Save money and time...

Also, I remember seeing somewhere that loan proceeds are issued on September 24.  This is borne out by the timetable on page 3 of this PDF: http://law.case.edu/admissions/pdfs/FABOOK.pdf

which says:
By September 25
Loan funds for fall living expenses issued to students

Uneasy1L

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2007, 01:51:51 PM »

We can't order our computer from Dell until we get our CaseID, which still hasn't come

Yeah you can.  Go to the ID website, put in your SSN and name, and, presto! Case ID.

Yes, it would've been nice if any of the people I called and talked to for over an hour 2 weeks ago could tell me this.  I got transferred from place to place, inluding the tech help desk, and NO ONE could come up with that answer.  They told me it would go out with the information packet in a few weeks.

I wouldnt worry about not getting your financial aid stuff as I most havent got their financial aid info packets although they were mailed out last week according to the financial aid director who I had to talk to about my "fafsa review."  Honestly though, its not a huge deal as they wont put your stuff in until the first day of orientation and as such you wont get any money until mid-september.  While that blows, it is standard operating procedure for schools, or at least has been the case for my other friends in law school which totals 7 diff schools.

Yes, and I think all that blows, too. I had my seat deposits in at 2 other schools before I heard a peep from Case, and both of those large schools disbursed loan funds into the students accounts before the official beginning of the school year.  Its not like they're giving me money; it's just a loan! And it's not even their money they're lending!

I'm glad everyone else seems at peace with the process, but I'm doing EVERYTHING COMPLETELY off loans for the next 3 years. I quit my job, I'm moving out of my apartment a 6 hr drive away to a new state and city where I know no one, without any financial reserves or help from anyone else financially.  My fault, my problem, I know; I just can't believe I'm the only one in this situation, and the only one who's a little stressed making plans without being able to sign a piece of paper that says "all the money will (eventually) be there".

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2007, 02:33:23 AM »
Just to make sure everyone's aware: you can often get a better deal at Dell by watching sites like www.gotapex.com for a deal - Dell is at the top pretty much every day.  Case's "bundles" SUCK price-wise, too.  You're better off getting a PC through the normal deals, formatting the hard drive to get rid of their junk software, then ordering OEM/student Office and Vista Ultimate from Newegg.com or some other trustworthy site. Save money and time...

Also, I remember seeing somewhere that loan proceeds are issued on September 24.  This is borne out by the timetable on page 3 of this PDF: http://law.case.edu/admissions/pdfs/FABOOK.pdf

which says:
By September 25
Loan funds for fall living expenses issued to students

Once you get your case ID you can download office 07 enterprise and vista ultimate for free via the VPN you have to use.

HTH

myself

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »
Doh, yeah, that's right, they have that on Software Center.  I'm used to doing all that for myself, since I run an IT shop on the side and don't want to get caught up in too many different licenses floating around.  Plus, having a resalable copy of an OS can come in handy at times in some situations ^^;

But yeah, definitely go for the Inspiron laptops listed on deal sites like www.gotapex.com - no, I don't have anything to do with them, they just stay ON TOP of Dell deals.  You WILL save $$$ over the "case packages" even with the supposed discount from EPP.  Better to get a good deal from Dell Small Business and be in a situation where you paid a lot less - and then, if you want to, you can upgrade later to a SECOND laptop for not much more cash than you'd pay for one of the "Case Bundles."

I'm really worried about making it to September 24 - I wish Case were one of those schools that didn't wait an age and a half to disburse!

mikey22

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2007, 12:00:17 AM »
does anyone know if there is a place to eat in the law school building?
CWRU '10

kipford

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2007, 09:04:12 AM »
does anyone know if there is a place to eat in the law school building?

Yeah, there's a vegetarian place in the student center area.  At the admitted students day (if you were there) it was where they had all the stuff set up for housing (rental) places (if memory serves.)  I want to say that it is near where the student organizations (Law Reveiw, etc.) are, but I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly.

I'm a vegetarian, so I thought it looked great, but I don't think non-vegetarians would be put off by it (I've never eaten a sprout sandwich or anything similar!)