Law School Discussion

Case Western '10!

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
Re: Case Western '10!
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2007, 05:32:02 PM »
little italy's where i live, and it's great. i can only think of a couple of drawbacks:

1. the houses are a little on the old side. they *may* have leaks, mice, stupid layout and other problems associated with old houses.

2. you're not very far from the aboveground train. but not as close as i am, and it hasn't been a problem for me.

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2007, 01:47:25 PM »
Hey guys,

I am pretty set on getting a new laptop for school. Does anyone know if Case offers discounts on certain brands? Is there a certain procedure one would have to follow to get these discounts? TIA.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
you can buy new dells at a discount, but you have to wait until you're set up with a student ID, if i remember correctly, and that may not be until august. when i bought a dell laptop, it turned out to be several hundred dollars cheaper to buy it refurbished online at dell's site than new through case. of course, it started breaking down within about 3 months of purchase, which may not have happened with a new computer.

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »
Thanks xrhombot. So Dell is the only brand that they offer? I have never had a dell, but I have been happy with my sony. I know most people would agree that having a laptop is necessary for law school. I just don't know whether I should take them up on their offer with the discounted Dells. Would it be alright if I PMed you?

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »
Thanks xrhombot. So Dell is the only brand that they offer? I have never had a dell, but I have been happy with my sony. I know most people would agree that having a laptop is necessary for law school. I just don't know whether I should take them up on their offer with the discounted Dells. Would it be alright if I PMed you?

i think dell is the only brand. go ahead and PM me.

« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2007, 07:39:56 AM »
Re: Dell:  You can almost certainly find a better laptop deal simply by checking http://www.gotapex.com on a regular basis.  They list Dell deals first, and have laptop deals pretty darn regularly. Try to purchase from the Small Business side, as the Home side can sometimes use slightly inferior parts and definitely has worse service, should you need to use it.

Your best bet is probably going to be an Inspiron 6400 or similar (home version 1520, which has some cool features honestly that the 6400 doesn't yet), with 2gb of RAM.  Just wait for the deals, and they will come... 

« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2007, 08:40:21 AM »
Has anybody heard anything about the student health insurance that CASE requires you to get?  I'm wondering about the type of plan, deductibles, expenditure limits, etc.  Hopefully it is a better plan than the ABA law student offering.  Thanks 

« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »
http://gss.case.edu/news_healthcare.html

At that location you can find the 2006-2007 plans, which should give you some ideas.  It seems quite likely that for 2007-2008, cost will have gone up and coverage decreased.

Case's plan, costing $1100 (550/term):
Generally, this coverage seems marginal.  You  can go to University Health Services free if you just need a prescription for a flu-like illness or something -- but you can do that WITHOUT the school insurance, also for free.

Office visits elsewhere incur $20 copay, AND you have to pay 20% of anything left over.  $30 for Urgent Care and $50 ER, again with the student paying 20% of whatever's left.

The out of pocket max is 5,000, and copays don't accrue towards that.

The prescription coverage actually isn't bad.  It's 15/30 generic/brand, but 20% of non-formulary with $50 minimum.  The interesting thing is the $5 coverage for things like Prilosec OTC, Claritin OTC,

Dental gets you two checkups & cleanings a year at no cost, periodic x-rays and emergency pain relief at no cost.  20% discount only on all other services -- and you HAVE to go to the Case School of Dental Medicine for all of this.

The other plan has a $200 deductible, and costs about 1200.
Deductible is waived if treated at the Student Health Center.  This plan is generally 80/20, but with many more exclusions and nitty-gritty maxes on specific things than the Case plan; thus, it does not seem like a viable option.

Coverage for other family members is available on both of these; however, it's quite expensive.  If you need to insure family members and do not have insurance available through spouse's work, it would seem advisable to investigate private insurance plans, since the cost rises very fast - off the top of my head, I believe it's something like 2500 to add a spouse and another 2000 to add kids, for a family coverage cost of something like 6-7k - and this is just for the school year!

Don't count on getting any reliable and/or timely information out of Case's admissions office about this, unless you're going to be there in person.  Just try to plan the best you can based on the old info, and see what happens, I guess.

« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2007, 07:22:53 PM »
myself- Thanks for the info; that was everything I was looking for

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2007, 03:10:40 PM »
Anyone have any info on classes/books from any rising 2L's or from a visit?  I'd like to get them online and avoid the money sink that calls itself the campus bookstore.