Law School Discussion

Case Western '10!

TrashCat

• My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
Re: Case Western '10!
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2007, 07:38:19 AM »
I received information in the mail from the triangle, park lane villas, and the waldorf among others and I was wondering if these locations were safe. It is crazy how the class is pretty much full, yet so many people haven't heard from them. Thanks again for the advice kipford. I'm just trying to figure out if the area around the school is alright so stay in.

From what i've seen and heard the Triangle area, while close, gets kinda shady after dark..

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »
I received information in the mail from the triangle, park lane villas, and the waldorf among others and I was wondering if these locations were safe. It is crazy how the class is pretty much full, yet so many people haven't heard from them. Thanks again for the advice kipford. I'm just trying to figure out if the area around the school is alright so stay in.

I don't know the area all that well, but here are a few thoughts:

We looked in both Cleveland Heights and University Heights.  University Heights seemed much nicer/safer.  That said things change quickly.  My friend went to Case about 10 years ago (for social work) and he said that the street he lived on (I think it was Mayfair or Mayfield?) was fine on his side, but that you would be in trouble if you were on the other side at night.

Maybe there are current students on this board that can give very specific information?

Regarding the class size-I just looked in my US News book and they have the class size as 667 (from a few years ago) so 159 or whatever on Friday would still be a small percentage.  That said, since they were holding it in that room (presumably pre-planned) and it was full we can probably reasonably extrapolate that they have a good portion of the class filled.  You know that, and the fact that most non waitlist decisions were due about 1.5-2 months ago!  Obviously Case is behind this (my numbers were pretty good for Case (160/3.67) and I pushed the issue by calling about once a week, and even then I didn't hear until a few weeks ago) so there are bound to be some spots still open.

I would think maybe a lot of the pending cases are either people who told Case they were not interested anymore (so they haven't bothered to take direct action yet,) borderline cases that they are holding onto rather than putting on a waitlist, or (assuming we are referencing lsn) people who heard late in the cycle after they were done updating their info.  FWIW, previous years' data from Case also have a lot of pending applicants which would tend to lead me to the third option as the most common.

« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2007, 05:27:41 PM »
Yeah I am just going to have to be alert when I am walking home from the library late at night. The area around campus is no different than any other urban environment I guess. A bunch of my relatives just moved out to Cleveland so I will most likely be living there after graduation (although I guess that could change in three years). I am leaning toward getting a place  near Shaker Square and commuting to school. There is a bus that stops close to many of the buildings I was looking at in the Shaker Heights area.

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2007, 06:04:12 PM »
Yeah I am just going to have to be alert when I am walking home from the library late at night. The area around campus is no different than any other urban environment I guess. A bunch of my relatives just moved out to Cleveland so I will most likely be living there after graduation (although I guess that could change in three years). I am leaning toward getting a place  near Shaker Square and commuting to school. There is a bus that stops close to many of the buildings I was looking at in the Shaker Heights area.

We looked at a place (to buy) in Shaker Heights and didn't love it.  It seems very hit or miss (nice one block, not so much the next.)  Like I said in an earlier message though, at the Admitted Students Day people said as long as you avoid certain roads you should be fine (not sure how far they were talking about.)  Also, I'm pretty sure that the professor who I ate lunch with said he lives in (or at least near) Shaker Square, so that is probably a good sign.

On another topic, I just became eligible for parking (I can sign up tomorrow morning.)  What are  you all doing (those who bought it?)  It looks like 52B is the best lot followed by S-29.  Does anyone know of any problems with either (like that they fill up and you can't find a spot even though you bought the permit?)  I also thought about getting the lot that is "remote" (35) if there was good bussing between areas of campus to save some money, but maybe that is stupid?

TrashCat

• My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2007, 06:54:49 PM »

We looked at a place (to buy) in Shaker Heights and didn't love it.  It seems very hit or miss (nice one block, not so much the next.)  Like I said in an earlier message though, at the Admitted Students Day people said as long as you avoid certain roads you should be fine (not sure how far they were talking about.)  Also, I'm pretty sure that the professor who I ate lunch with said he lives in (or at least near) Shaker Square, so that is probably a good sign.

On another topic, I just became eligible for parking (I can sign up tomorrow morning.)  What are  you all doing (those who bought it?)  It looks like 52B is the best lot followed by S-29.  Does anyone know of any problems with either (like that they fill up and you can't find a spot even though you bought the permit?)  I also thought about getting the lot that is "remote" (35) if there was good bussing between areas of campus to save some money, but maybe that is stupid?

Good luck, I was able to get parking about 2 weeks ago and the best I could get was 46. I know that 29 and 52 are both filled up. 29 had a waiting list of 36...

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »
I got a space in 52, but I signed up for it on the first day you could. On another note, do you guys plan on working in Cleveland after you graduate?

« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »
I got a space in 52, but I signed up for it on the first day you could. On another note, do you guys plan on working in Cleveland after you graduate?

I had a feeling parking would be a problem.  I was admitted three weeks ago and just got the e-mail today giving me the parking info/code.  Maybe I'll end up taking the bus.  Anyone know if it is safe taking if from University Heights (like if I'm carrying a laptop?)

My plan is to practice in Cleveland at least for several years.  I'm not from here originally (upstate NY) but have been in Northeast Ohio for over a decade and love it.  Since we are going to buy a house there is a strong incentive to stay.  Plus, as I understand it the market is strong-I mean the overall economy is less than stellar, but its still a major legal hub yet people from other cities don't want to move here, so getting a good job should be easier than in other locations.

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
Spots are still available as of this writing in 54, which is about a block away.  It also looks like 29 has spots in both of its "lots" though they have the same #. 33 is also available, which is apparently kind of in-between buildings and I think has a driveway to it from Euclid Ave.  54 is on Ford, and 29 I'm not 100% sure where the entrances are.

Those who got in 52, did you get 52A or 52B?  52B looks like it's almost across the street, while 52A looks about a block-ish off?  52B is pretty much the ideal lot.  Or is there a 52 that I just don't see? 

Then again, at about 700 bucks per academic year for parking, maybe riding the bus/rapid isn't such a bad idea after all.  I'm definitely exploring the idea of going Shaker Square - 55th St - campus.  Even if you pay the full 58/mo for 8 months and get weekly passes for the bits in Aug/May, it still comes out cheaper, and you can sometimes get an undergraduate U-Pass under the table for $50 to use for free, from what I've heard.

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2007, 01:29:15 PM »
Hi guys, I am new to posting on this board, but I have been lurking for quite a while. I posted another topic on this, but I am originally from Ohio and I am debating whether to go to Case with a nice scholarship or go to UW-Madison paying full price. I eventually want to practice in Ohio, preferably Cleveland so it seems like going to Case would be the logical choice, but Madison is ranked 15-20 spots higher. It would be great to hear thoughts from future Case students. Does anyone know what class rank I would need to work for a big law firm in Cleveland if I went to Case? Thanks guys.

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2007, 09:59:46 AM »

Be very careful, my friend.  I've lived in Cleveland for three years now, and know personally three people who've been mugged/assaulted/etc. near the parking garage at the intersection of Mayfield and Euclid.  One violent assault a year on people I know (and I don't know any thugs, so keep your LSAT thoughts to yourself, smartass :P) is not a good number.  One of my friends was robbed at gunpoint, then coldcocked once he'd handed over his money.  Another had her car stolen.  While she was in it.  In broad daylight.

So just be careful.  Avoid dark if possible.  Carrying a garrote would probably be better :P