Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: questions about Campbell  (Read 1642 times)

the royal We

• Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    • View Profile
Re: questions about Campbell
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 08:10:12 PM »
Campbell over NC Central in a heartbeat as well.  Campbell has a better alumni network and is MUCH more respected in N.C.

Wait until you get a financial aid package from both schools (even if it means two deposits) -- all of my friends at Campbell got grants.  If money is a deciding factor, then wait until both offers are in.

Did they get grants before their 1L year? I have received my fin. aid package and there was no mention of a grant of any kind. I have not been offered anything (2nd deposit due June 1), but I did write a letter asking for grant scholarship assistance.

Anyone think I have a chance for money:  (white) Campbell 75th percentiles in LSAT and around the median GPA

I am having a lot of trouble justifying spending  the extra 20+ thousand dollars a year on Campbell.  The focus of the school seems to be on litigation, which is not a huge interest to me right now.  Campbell does seem like it has a better reputation than Central, but is that reputation worth enough an extra 80K in debt??
I have also heard that Campbell's focus is on training attorneys to learn practical skills, and to work in small towns , which doesn't bode well for paying off the 100K+ in loans.

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 05:35:06 AM »
My best advice (depending of course IF you are ultimately accepted in to Central) would be to first find out what you want to do with your degree, and make a decision as to which school would help you reach your goal.

On the surface it seems like debt is a major issue for you- I would definitely take that in to consideration when making a final decision on passing up on 5k in-state tuition. Also, I think you should do your own research on the reputation of these two school and NOT form an opinion about reputation from the postings on this thread (you seem to be a  NC resident so this should not be too difficult). I am not attempting to counter the previous posts, however, at the end of the day it is YOUR decision to make.

Best,
C

the royal We

• Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 11:45:31 AM »
I think everyone agrees that it's his decision unless other posters offer to pay the tuition.

So OP should feel free to PM me and I'll tell him how I know about the legal community in the state. 

I am currently accepting grant offers from LSD members...

What does "OP" mean?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
I think everyone agrees that it's his decision unless other posters offer to pay the tuition.

So OP should feel free to PM me and I'll tell him how I know about the legal community in the state. 

I am currently accepting grant offers from LSD members...

What does "OP" mean?

Original poster
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 06:20:44 PM »
I've got a hunch the school may not be moving to Raleigh.

They just hired a director of development to head fund raising efforts for the school. As has been reported, a portion of the school in Buies Creek is in desperate need of renovation. I just think that the PTB will not let the law school move there. Either way though, Campbell will continue to be an excellent school.

Maybe if you don't want to live in Buies Creek you might think about Fuquay-Varina. I think its only about 15 miles or so away. 

But I do hear some good things about NCCU also--and you can't beat the price anywhere if you're in NC.