Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard University Question  (Read 1160 times)

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
Howard University Question
« on: March 31, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »
I was just looking through the 2008 USNEWS rankings and for Howard University although the midrange GPA was 2.95-3.5 and LSAT is 148-154 they have a suprisingly high midrange salary for the private sector ($73-$125k).  I know Howard is in D.C. but being a 3rd tier school how are the top firms not picking up students from tier 1 and even tier 2 schools first before Howard? Is there something I'm missing about this school? and Seems like an excellent place to go if you have just OK gpa and lsat with a very profitable return in the private sector.
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Howard University Question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
people constantly ask this question as if the answer isn't staring you righ tin the face:  Howard, while a great school, is still a one stop shop for a firm's diversity needs.
Columbia 3L

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 03:12:03 PM »
people constantly ask this question as if the answer isn't staring you righ tin the face:  Howard, while a great school, is still a one stop shop for a firm's diversity needs.

You say that if it's a bad thing for the students who go there? Or just for the non URMs who go there? Are you implying that on the average only the big firms look to Howard to fill up their diversity needs? I know other schools aren't as diverse but I'm sure they would at least want to find some other students from a tier 1 and 2 school before looking to Howard?
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

east

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »
If you can't answer this question by yourself, I'm guessing you haven't researched the school enough. 

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 03:15:17 PM »
If you can't answer this question by yourself, I'm guessing you haven't researched the school enough. 

Obviously if I knew the answer I wouldn't be starting a topic and asking the question???

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »
I have heard at least one horror story from a non URM student that went to Howard for its salary figures and was left with a TTT degree and no job.

-- AND graduated top 20%

east

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »
Just check out Howard University on wikipedia.  Hopefully that will answer some of your questions.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
Thanks! Also for the school's bar passage rate in jurisdiction it lists NY instead of DC. Anyone have a relative idea of the proportion of graduates that stay in D.C. and those that go to NY?

About 30% stay in DC--around 55% in the general South Atlantic area--and close to 20% go to NY.

Plus, for reasons not to take the U.S. News rankings as the gospel truth, read the following:

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=lsac/deans-speak-out-rankings.asp

Howard has a great reputation--especially in litigation.  They even beat Harvard University in Mock Trial competition a few years ago.

Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 04:19:14 PM »
Firms recruit there that wouldn't otherwise because it's a historically black college.

Clear enough for you?

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »
It's more than just "a historically black college."  Other HBCs don't have the same firm recruitment #s like Howard.
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.