Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I wish...  (Read 7579 times)

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I wish...
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 02:21:15 PM »
People are not blocked from LSAT prep courses because of race. On the other hand, those who have insufficient financial resources are blocked from using prep courses that they cannot afford. It is these individuals, the ones who are at a quantifiable competitive disadvantage and lack access to competitive resources, who should receive extra consideration from schools.

Bingo! Let me shorten my argument for everyone who doesn't seem to get what I'm saying.

If you're an undergraduate student, and your family is poor or working class, and you're not working full-time, where do you get the financial resources to shell out $1,500 for an LSAT prep class? Can someone find an LSAT performance breakdown for me on minority peformance based on on poor, working-, middle- and upper-class backgrounds?

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 02:22:10 PM »
It's one thing to pay for books and another to pay for a tutor or classroom setting where you can actually get feedback and help troubleshooting your weak areas.

Anyway, segundo trolls the boards and looks to make pot shots at those less fortunate than he is.

That's not true at all. I went to a bad public high school and fully support myself. I'm an advocate for the less fortunate. I think individuals who had deplorable high school conditions and were bloacked from competative tools (like advising, tutoring, and test prep) deserve affirmative action in very large numbers. I think if you really read through my posts, you would see that I am consistent with this idea.

My apologies.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 02:24:42 PM »
It's one thing to pay for books and another to pay for a tutor or classroom setting where you can actually get feedback and help troubleshooting your weak areas.

Anyway, segundo trolls the boards and looks to make pot shots at those less fortunate than he is.

That's not true at all. I went to a bad public high school and fully support myself. I'm an advocate for the less fortunate. I think individuals who had deplorable high school conditions and were bloacked from competative tools (like advising, tutoring, and test prep) deserve affirmative action in very large numbers. I think if you really read through my posts, you would see that I am consistent with this idea.

My apologies.

Unnecessary.

This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 02:27:29 PM »
Undertaking a more rigorous major from a far more difficult school explains why the GPA of the African-American applicant might be lower, but it doesn't explain at all why the LSAT of the African-American applicant is lower.

I'm going to hazard a guess, an educated guess, on the reason why the average LSAT score is lower. Although first I should take a poll on how many of people in this thread used a commercial LSAT prep service, specifically classes.

Blacks face no barriers to purchasing commercial LSAT prep services. LSAT prep courses will teach anyone (regardless of race) who chooses to sign up for their service.

Read LegMat's post which is directly above yours, dumbass. Race is often strongly correlated to class.

I did read it. He was saying that lack of money blocks access to LSAT Prep. Your logical jump must be that most blacks are poor. Typical elitist attitude. Thanks for putting down your NY Times and double latte to join the debate though.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
People are not blocked from LSAT prep courses because of race. On the other hand, those who have insufficient financial resources are blocked from using prep courses that they cannot afford. It is these individuals, the ones who are at a quantifiable competitive disadvantage and lack access to competitive resources, who should receive extra consideration from schools.

Bingo! Let me shorten my argument for everyone who doesn't seem to get what I'm saying.

If you're an undergraduate student, and your family is poor or working class, and you're not working full-time, where do you get the financial resources to shell out $1,500 for an LSAT prep class? Can someone find an LSAT performance breakdown for me on minority peformance based on on poor, working-, middle- and upper-class backgrounds?

The study that shows a persistent race gap across all classes has been cited a bunch of times.

What incentive do blacks have to raise their scores? There is no pressure to score highly when an average score by a black applicant will do.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »

The study that shows a persistent race gap across all classes has been cited a bunch of times.

What incentive do blacks have to raise their scores? There is no pressure to score highly when an average score by a black applicant will do.

I'm not going to get into this with you, and I know that you will accuse me of not having an answer for your question, when the truth is that I don't have the patience, so think what you will, I don't really care, but I will say that you seem rather suspiciously focused on black applicants. There are other types of URMs, you know.

This thread has been focused on black applicants, so my wording hasn't really deviated from the nature of the thread. To address your idea anyway, stats show that only 1% of LSAT scores of 165 and over are scored by black applicants. They are by far the worst performing group on the LSAT. Thus they get the strongest LSAT bump in admissions and their incentive to raise their scores against their peers is dramatically lower than other minorities. 
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »

I'm not going to get into this with you, and I know that you will accuse me of not having an answer for your question, when the truth is that I don't have the patience, so think what you will, I don't really care, but I will say that you seem rather suspiciously focused on black applicants. There are other types of URMs, you know.

This thread has been totally focused on black applicants, so my wording hasn't really deviated from the nature of the thread. To address that idea anyway, stats show that only 1% of LSAT scores of 165 and over are scored by black applicants. They are by far the worst performing group on the LSAT. Thus they get the stromgest LSAT bump in admissions and their incentive to raise their scores against their peers is dramatically lower than other minorities. 

Yes. You started the thread. Moving on...

You guys have fun in here. I'm out.

No I didn't. Re-check the first poster.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »
Undertaking a more rigorous major from a far more difficult school explains why the GPA of the African-American applicant might be lower, but it doesn't explain at all why the LSAT of the African-American applicant is lower.

I'm going to hazard a guess, an educated guess, on the reason why the average LSAT score is lower. Although first I should take a poll on how many of people in this thread used a commercial LSAT prep service, specifically classes.

Blacks face no barriers to purchasing commercial LSAT prep services. LSAT prep courses will teach anyone (regardless of race) who chooses to sign up for their service.

Read LegMat's post which is directly above yours, dumbass. Race is often strongly correlated to class.

I did read it. He was saying that lack of money blocks access to LSAT Prep. Your logical jump must be that most blacks are poor. Typical elitist attitude. Thanks for putting down your NY Times and double latte to join the debate though.

I'm sorry, did I miss where class and race in this country aren't strongly correlated?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 04:02:26 PM »

I somehow missed this. Is this information in Grutter or somewhere else?
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen