Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gonzaga v. UALR v. WVU  (Read 874 times)

onechu82

• View Profile
Gonzaga v. UALR v. WVU
« on: March 31, 2007, 01:37:01 AM »
New 2008 ranking came out and WVU is now tier 3 (they lowered their student/faculty ratio a lot).  I like Gonzaga here, but if UALR or WVU can give me in-state tuition after 1L, I may choose one or the other.  Any advice on these schools? Which school has better reputations, etc? Gonzaga and WVU are more tempting 'cause of their sports teams...

longman391

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gonzaga v. UALR v. WVU
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:34:18 AM »
Can't speak all that much about WVU, but I just sent in my seat deposit to Gonzaga. I chose them because it seems like a real deal- a reasonably-sized school with impressive credentials and alumni in high places, a T3 school that is affordable yet everybody agrees is underranked, it places well in the region despite Seattle U and UW being close by, and the cost of living is amazing (check out Spokane apts on Craigslist).

If you plan on living in the pac NW, I don't think there's a better deal out there than Gonzaga for what you get in terms of quality of education, alumni connections, tuition, and cost of living. Seems like a win-win to me.
Accepted: Vermont, Gonzaga, Cal Western, Idaho
Denied: Seattle U
Waitlisted:
Waiting on: Hamline

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:06:32 AM »
Attending the admitted students luncheon at WVU on April 14, and much like you I am think ing about the in-state tuition after the first year. I know the school places well in WV of course as well as Pittburgh and possibly in DC. The had at least two or three of the black law students at the school call me and talk at length about the school. One was a 3l going to work in the MD-VA-DC area starting in May, two were 1l's. All seemed to like the place and say that it can be a partytown and all but the small city is very conducive to law school.
I am a few years older than the average law student, 27 and married with kid, so I am looking forward to the small atmosphere, and into really just doing well. The school's attrition rate is pretty low with most of it being due to transfers. I don't know what else you want to know but I will possibly have more to say once I go visit in two weeks.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:11:34 AM »
Can't speak all that much about WVU, but I just sent in my seat deposit to Gonzaga. I chose them because it seems like a real deal- a reasonably-sized school with impressive credentials and alumni in high places, a T3 school that is affordable yet everybody agrees is underranked, it places well in the region despite Seattle U and UW being close by, and the cost of living is amazing (check out Spokane apts on Craigslist).

If you plan on living in the pac NW, I don't think there's a better deal out there than Gonzaga for what you get in terms of quality of education, alumni connections, tuition, and cost of living. Seems like a win-win to me.

If I was looking to move a family, I would not hesitate with this choice and pick Gonzaga.  Spokane seems to be like one of the most livable and friendly places around.  In Oregon and Washington, the Gonzaga name seems to have some good pull since Gonzaga is very good undergrad school.  I don't know if I could live anywhere in the states of Arkansas or West Virginia, but the Pacific Northwest is a great area.

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »
I am probably end up withdrawing from UALR.  I want to visit Gonzaga and WVU, unless I hear back from few other schools.  Do you guys have pictures from Zag of WVU? Also, do you know if Gonzaga has chance of breaking into top 100 anytime soon? I doubt WVU will 'cause they just got moved up to tier 3.

WVU Mounty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:21:45 PM »
Prior to last year WVU had been tier 3.  What is the cost of living in WA?  Compared to many places you cannot beat the cost of living in WV.  Also, I am not at all familiar with Gonzaga or UALR but I do know that WVU's tuition is ridiculously low compared to a lot of places, and extraordinarily low for in-state (so you should definitely find out if you can become a "resident" easily).  As for the school, like many it was built when the big, concrete box thing was popular.  So, it is ugly; however, I know the University did just this spring announce plans for some improvements.  Hmm.. lets see.... the school is the only law school in the state so the school and the bar have close ties,do a lot of functions together, etc.  Unlike most of Morgantown and WVU, the law school has a plethora of parking.  Law school hill overlooks the football stadium (great for tailgating).  Definitely not a big city feel, but there is tons to do (all the above considering- partying and not).  The FOOTBALL team is going to be ruthless next year (haha)! Umm... I dunno.  I have lived in WV my whole life and am getting ready to graduate in May from WVU, so I have lived in Motown for the last 4 years.  So, if you have any questions about the area I probably can help you out!

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:53:41 AM »
Gonzaga is located in Spokane, WA (3 hour drive from Seattle).  Their cost of living is relatively low.  I heard you can find a decent 1-bedroom apartment for $400/month.  I imagine Morgantown being similar.  I am still debating on WVU 'cause it's hard to pass on their sports program.  Their football program is amazing and they should have made to NCAA tourney this year (but congrats on NIT win though).  Gonzaga has basketball team that will always make to NCAA tourney and they got good recruits coming in.  So aside from sports, Gonzaga is a private school w/ tuition of $27,000.  I am out of state so at WVU, it's something like $20,000 for me.  Do you know when I'll become WV resident? I know for Florida, you can't become a resident if you live there strictly for school.  I heard Arkansas, you can just get a driver's license and become a resident there.  I don't know if it's the same with WV.

Also for the their academics.  I know both WVU and Gonzaga has history of dropping down to tier 4, but who has better chance of going up to top 100? I heard from someone's post that Gonzaga got a new dean and he is looking to make Zags "national" law school...

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
I've done a lot of research on Gonzaga and just recently got back from visiting the school, so I would be happy to take a shot at answering any questions people might have.  Anyway...

Gonzaga is indeed looking to become a national law school.  They talk a very good game about how Dean Martin (new within the last couple of years) and Gonzaga's larger administration are committed to improving the image and status of the law school outside of the northwest.  They've got a very nice, fairly new law building located at the best spot on campus, and they've hired several new highly touted professors in the past few years, so it certainly seems like they are putting their money where their mouth is.

Probably the best thing about going to Gonzaga would be all of the connections they have that you can benefit from.  They are the only law school in Eastern Washington and their influence extends into Idaho and western Montana as well.  In that regard, they have a lot of very good internships and externships available, and are supposed to be pretty good at placing people after they graduate.  And then there is the fact that this is a small, very affluent Jesuit school.  Merely graduating from there gets you into a club of sorts.

As for Spokane, it is very cheap, and there are a few nice areas.  The law school is located right on the banks of the Spokane River, and there is a really nice Riverfront Park area (jogging/walking trails) that the law building is probably 100 feet away from.  You can easily walk downtown (which is fairly nice) from Gonzaga.  The South Hill neighborhood (within walking distance) is supposed to be pretty nice and is very popular with students.  From what I understand, Logan neighborhood is mostly for partying whereas South Hill is for more serious students.

However, outside of these few nice areas, the city is pretty bad.  Large parts of it are very economically depressed; apparently the city has seen much better days, and now pretty much survives off of being a big destination for conferences and such.  That would explain why there are a couple nice areas that the city clearly pours most of its money into.  People coming into town for a two or three day conference aren't going to see anything else anyway.  But in actually living there, you will probalby find most of the city to be rather undesirable.  Apparently they have a rather big gang problem too, which would explain why the cops I saw there were dressed for urban warfare.

All in all, I think Gonzaga offers very good opportunities for a regional Tier 3 school, along with the potential for a rise in the rankings within the next 3-5 years (right when it would do you the most good).  I'm 95% certain I'm going there.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 04:57:01 PM »
New 2008 ranking came out and WVU is now tier 3 (they lowered their student/faculty ratio a lot).  I like Gonzaga here, but if UALR or WVU can give me in-state tuition after 1L, I may choose one or the other.  Any advice on these schools? Which school has better reputations, etc? Gonzaga and WVU are more tempting 'cause of their sports teams...

Where do you want to practice? You've mentioned nothing about that. That is a big factor between these schools, IMO
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 12:54:58 AM »

Where do you want to practice? You've mentioned nothing about that. That is a big factor between these schools, IMO

My first choice is Atlanta.  That's only if I get into GSU.  I know Gonzaga and WVU's reputation doesn't go down to Atlanta.  My next choices are Seattle, DC, NYU, FL.  Gonzaga places decent in Seattle, I heard.  I don't know how WVU's placement in DC area.  They got very good law schools around there so I assume my chances would be slim.