Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern c/o 2010  (Read 8459 times)

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern c/o 2010
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 12:02:53 PM »
I am, in my condo search, but I do like the idea of being able to walk to law school -- I walk to work at the moment and its really nice.

Chandler Bing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »
BTW is anyone considering other neighborhoods (like Lincoln Park) for their 1L year, or is everyone going to pretty much stay in Streeterville/Gold Coast?

I'm hoping to stay in Streeterville/Gold Coast area, but I'm looking at Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Lakeview, and portions of Wrigleyville for apartments. I want to stay within a five mile radius of the law school, but I also want an apartment that I'd love to stay in and can afford to stay in for at least the three years of law school (I seriously HATE moving).
Monica (attending): Northwestern!
Rachel/Phoebe (still in the running): Northwestern $$, Chicago $
Janice(withdrawn): SLU, Loyola Chicago, Chicago-Kent, Depaul, UIUC, Duke, WUSTL

Cycle's over!

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »
Congrats all - can't wait to meet you. Has anyone gotten any information yet about the updated models for the laptop program, or for access to your NU email accounts?

I think the updated models might be online...

Go here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/infosys/private/notebook/Notebook_link.html (You'll need the admitted students login/password) then click the 'view and order' link near the bottom.  Takes you to new laptops on Dell's site that seem considerably nicer than the ones described on NU's site.

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »
Can I join this club if I'm still riding a few waitlists?

It's all self selection, anyone can join.  ;)

d3b4s3r

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 09:29:33 PM »
re: the laptops.  do they actually allow for $3000 in the financial aid for a machine, or do they only reimburse you? 

I bought a mac a few months ago so I'm hoping that doesn't mean that I lose out on this part of the financial aid...
Attending: Northwestern (for real this time)
In: Northwestern ($$), UVA ($), Cornell (W), GULC ($$) (W), Fordham (W)
Out: Harvard, Columbia, NYU

dougiefresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 02:24:57 AM »
re: the laptops.  do they actually allow for $3000 in the financial aid for a machine, or do they only reimburse you? 

I bought a mac a few months ago so I'm hoping that doesn't mean that I lose out on this part of the financial aid...

Have you received an email from Jason Charlton yet re: your financial aid?  I received an excel spreadsheet from him about a month ago that gave my aid breakdown.  From what I could tell, NU will assume that you need $3000 for a laptop and include this in your aid package.  If you already have a laptop/don't want the aid, you don't have to accept that part of the package (although I am not sure if you can line-item veto, but you might be able to reject a loan offer and say you need the amt of X - $3000).  If you don't have a laptop or already do but still want the loan $, you simply accept the package as it is with the $3000 built-in.  That is at least my understanding of how that works - it's not a reimbursement but just a bit of aid padding to help with buying a laptop.
Air Flare - attending NU in Fall 2007

d3b4s3r

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »
Dougie,

Yes, I did get the spreadsheet, and I also interpreted the entry for the $3,000 the same way that you did.  I just wondered if anyone knew for sure.  Maybe I'll call and ask.

Btw my deposit is officially in as of today (yes, I like procrastination), so it's official!!!

I_thnk_thr4_Im_cnfusd

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 12:47:19 PM »
This is my first post on LSD - I've browsed for months now though....I will be joining you all at NU class of 2010!!!

So excited!

I sent in my deposit last week...now it's all about apt huntin and working out the details with financial aid

d3b4s3r

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
Has everyone joined the facebook group???

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2007, 04:32:39 PM »
Congrats all - can't wait to meet you. Has anyone gotten any information yet about the updated models for the laptop program, or for access to your NU email accounts?

I think the updated models might be online...

Go here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/infosys/private/notebook/Notebook_link.html (You'll need the admitted students login/password) then click the 'view and order' link near the bottom.  Takes you to new laptops on Dell's site that seem considerably nicer than the ones described on NU's site.

So I emailed the IT at NU about the laptops, just out of curiosity, and got this in response:

The website has not yet been updated for the '07 - '08 models. We've only
recently decided that, in addition to the Dell D620 and D420, we're also be
offering the Lenovo (IBM) T60 and X60. The deals have not been finalized,
so they're not yet ready for purchase. We anticipate publishing the
specifications and prices by the beginning of June, but sometimes that's
out of our control, especially as we are now working with two vendors.

Once the models are ready to order, you can make any available
configuration changes you'd like. As long as you've purchased through the
program, we will provide complete support, including a loaner if necessary.
(Students with machines not brought through the program do receive some
minimal support, but are not eligible for loaners.)

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.