Law School Discussion

UCLA VS UT

botbot

• View Profile
Re: UCLA VS UT
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 03:41:56 PM »
So it makes UCLA ~7.5k cheaper?

Add travel costs to see your boyfriend up...
Add cost of living difference up...

Difference made up and you get to live with your boyfriend.

This question does not seem that hard.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
If I consider the cost of living differences and the travel costs then the difference between getting a scholarship from UCLA and nothing from UT actually ends up making not much of a difference cost-wise, but it's just the principle of it all. How can I go to a lower ranked school that is offering me no money when there is a higher ranked school that is offering me alot of money? I love my boyfriend very much but I wonder if I won't be bitter towards UT?

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 05:28:07 PM »
I wouldn't feel insulted, because public law schools just seem to typically give scholarships mostly to out-of-state students (or at least UT). At the end of the day UT is still a good value (especially if you are looking at international or corporate) and dominates Texas, so Texas students are willing to pay. Also, there really isn't a difference (if any) between a 15 and 18 ranked school...especially when its almost certain things will change every year even though nothing substantially changes.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 10:19:02 PM »
UCLA Troll or bad girlfriend?

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:09 PM »
My GPA is pretty high (definitely above the median) but my LSAT is right at the median so UT has said that I wouldn't qualify for a recruiting scholarship but that there's a possibility of getting scholarship matching as more funds free up with students withdrawing.

And by the way, I'm not a bad girlfriend - I gave up my job and moved to Austin to live with my bf for 8 months so no I'm not a UCLA troll and not a bad girlfriend.

I just feel like it's so hard to say yes and be happy with that yes to UT when I might have to pay full tuition for UT while paying only like 12 grand to go to UCLA.

I wanted to do entertainment law which UCLA is really good for and UT doesn't seem so good for but then again, I am also interested in international law and corporate/business law, and possibly litigation which means that I'm really open to anything so I don't know if I should be so attracted to UCLA just for the entertainment law aspect. It's just it seems so wrong to turn down a higher ranked school that is offering so much money for a lower ranked school that is offering nothing.

Also I wonder if the salaries for entry level lawyers would be lower for lawyers working in Texas versus lawyers working in California. Based on my research, it seems like all the big firms in California and Texas seem to pay around 135 grand for entry-level but then again, maybe my research isn't so accurate and actually there is a much greater salary difference.  :-\

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 10:57:39 PM »
You moved to be with him and you are going to let 5k a year law school debt pull you away?  Cost of living is lower in Texas and salaries are slightly lower at top firms.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 11:33:52 PM »
This thread strikes me as ridiculous.  You seem to be hung up on rankings, but there is no reason to be.  Except for a number assigned by US News (a magazine that is really not even very good), these schools are equivalent.  Look at the numbers.  They are pretty much exactly the same. 

As for a scholarship, you shouldn't have such an attitude of entitlement if your LSAT score is at the median.  That's just the way it goes.  UT also knows that cost of living in TX and in-state tuition already make the school a pretty good deal.

Finally, do you know how ridiculous it sounds to talk about how you want to do 'entertainment law' or 'international law' or 'corporate' or litigation'?  That's a lot of ground you're covering there, and I suspect you don't really know what any of those areas involve. 

But to the extent that you're interested in international law, UT has a pretty good faculty in that area, and currently offers the opportunity to work on real representations of Gitmo detainees. 

And two other UT clinics made it to the Supreme Court last year.

Yeesh. 

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 12:20:42 AM »
Base between Texas and NYC/LA tends to be only $5,000 less, if not equal (ex. Weil) or even higher (ex. Baker McKenzie $5k more than Cali, $5k less than NYC). Even if the salary is less, the lack of an income tax and lower cost of living more than makes up for that. For example, to live in Houston is 43% cheaper than LA and 51% cheaper than NYC.

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 12:25:11 AM »
I would do entertainment law at UCLA but there is pretty much no way that I would do it at UT and that is why I am open to other fields of law because I know that UT's entertainment law can't compare to UCLA's. The scholarship amount that UCLA is offering is going to make an 8 grand a year difference between UT and UCLA and yes, the cost of living is cheaper in Texas but based on the fact that I could get cheap living around UCLA since I have family and friends in the UCLA area, cost of living is really not a factor that I'm considering.

Yes the US news rankings may not be that important but based on the fact that schools, students, and employers seems to pay so much attention to rankings in general, I think there is some weight of importance to be paid regardless of whether it seems ridiculous or not.

I don't feel a sense of entitlement like UT needs to give me money to get me to come. It's just that it seems hard to say "I am going to pay 8 grand more per year to go to a school than I could have paid."

In the end, really, I want to go to school where my boyfriend is but based on his experience and feeling like i'm a student vicariously through him, it seems like UT isn't as great a school as it is made out to be. So really, the only reason why I would go to school at UT would be to be with him - no other reasons.

The rankings may change every year and it's possible that UT could go up in rankings while UCLA goes down, but it's just as possible that UT could go even lower in rankings (possibly past the top teens) while UCLA gets only better. So if rankings aren't that important and the schools are comparable, then that means that I am paying 8 grand a year to be with my bf. I just wish it wasn't the case.

The only question is: If you were in the situation, then what would you do? That's the only thing i'm asking.

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 12:43:14 AM »
This thread strikes me as ridiculous.  You seem to be hung up on rankings, but there is no reason to be.  Except for a number assigned by US News (a magazine that is really not even very good), these schools are equivalent.  Look at the numbers.  They are pretty much exactly the same. 

As for a scholarship, you shouldn't have such an attitude of entitlement if your LSAT score is at the median.  That's just the way it goes.  UT also knows that cost of living in TX and in-state tuition already make the school a pretty good deal.

Finally, do you know how ridiculous it sounds to talk about how you want to do 'entertainment law' or 'international law' or 'corporate' or litigation'?  That's a lot of ground you're covering there, and I suspect you don't really know what any of those areas involve. 

But to the extent that you're interested in international law, UT has a pretty good faculty in that area, and currently offers the opportunity to work on real representations of Gitmo detainees. 

And two other UT clinics made it to the Supreme Court last year.

Yeesh. 

Well, I'm not sure if you are a UT student or not, but the faculty isnt that great.  It seems you are a little angry and using the aame poor recruiting tactics that UT themselves used.  Jinx's class is small, and all he did was right an amicus brf for the case.  Sounds good, but that is all it ends up doing, sounding good.  Even after the 2nd year most people dont know what kind of law they are actually going to practice until they get their internship.  Who cares, a lot of people have interests in fields of study without knowing about them, the fact of the matter is that UT doesnt offer much in the entertainment law field (there is only one student group as well).  On top of this, thanks to this years crop of 1L winners, we have the whole 'ghetto fabulous' legacy too.  Sure, no school is going to be perfect and I have no idea how UCLA is, but I do know UT has been a let down.

From,
the UT boyfriend

(i'm not saying it is a horrible school, but out of the 8 teachers I have had thus far, I would only say 1 was really good and 3 have been poor.  UT definitely has room for improvement.)