Law School Discussion

UCLA VS UT

UCLA VS UT
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:40:45 PM »
Hi -  I'm having trouble deciding whether to go to UCLA or UT. My boyfriend goes to UT and so I want to go to UT but UCLA has offered me almost a 50% tuition reduction through a  need-based grant while UT has offered me no money other than in-state tuition which I would already get as a resident of  Texas. I also get resident tuition for UCLA since I went to highschool in California. The new USNWR rankings show t hat UT is 18th and UCLA is 15th while last year's s howed UT as 16th and UCLA as 15th. I'm trying  to negotiate money with  UT but i'm not sure how that's going to go. I can't decide what to do - any opinions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

botbot

• View Profile
Re: UCLA VS UT
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:54:48 PM »
Where do you want to work?  How serious is the relationship?

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
Relationship is very serious - like planning to get married after law school  serious. I thought I  wanted to do entertainment law which UCLA would be better for but then I also wanted to do  international law and also corporate law so I guess i'm  not quite sure w hat kind of law I want to do and am quite open to different pathz.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 02:04:31 PM »
Then UT...

Why put your relationship through 3 years of hell when the quality level of the schools is so similar.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »
If its that serious, then UT might be the place for you. Both are great schools though and can take you wherever you want, its just that UCLA and UT will be stronger in their respective states.

As for the rankings, who knows, next year UT might jump 3 spots and UCLA might fall depending on how they tweak the system again, just know that they are both solid schools.

Also, plenty of great International and Corporate classes/opportunities at UT.

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »
I wouldn't base anything on the rankings comparing these two schools. Traditionally four schools - UCLA, UT, USC, and Vandy - have moved between 15 and 18. They are all pretty much equal in prestige, IMO.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:43:21 PM »
One of my main problems also is that UT hasn't offered me any money whatsoever while UCLA has offered me about a 50% reduction in tuition costs ... what to do  what to do

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
Make the boyfriend get a job to help ;).

UT is a great school and I absolutely love it here, so I say UT, but the money issue is definitely understandable. I've heard that the people in Financial Aid are pretty helpful, so hope you can get something out of them. Best of luck with all this!

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »
Well I submitted a scholarship matching request before and  UT said that they could match my scholarship offers at that time and to try again later with other offers which is what i'm planning  on doing but UT seems to making so little of an attempt to help me financially and really up to t his point, every school that has acceptedme  has been gracious enouggh to offer me more than 50% reductions in  costs of attendance to their schools while UT has offered $0. 

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
Sorry - let me clarify - i am a Texas resident, so I get resident tuition. UT has offered me absolutely NOTHING  :'(