Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances at Davis--closing their acceptances soon?  (Read 455 times)

CosmicDancer

• View Profile
    • Email
Chances at Davis--closing their acceptances soon?
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:07:55 PM »
Hi all:

Okay, so I've been obsessively checking the Davis status checker and I'm starting to get a bit nervous.  Currently, their admitted student site says that 770 files have been updated.  According to their Application Status site, they have 3412 total applications. 

Seeing as how they have already admitted 770 people, that is already 22.5% acceptance rate.  They historically hover around 23% or so.  So that means, they really have only 30 more slots to give out +/- a few applications. 

I've been complete since December and still not a peep from them!  (3.4 and 159).  I know it's a bit of a reach, but they're my top choice!

What do you guys think?  Does their acceptance rate include waitlists?  Will this last batch all be waitlist?  I know there are folks out there as obsessive as I am.

Indulge me.

ishi

• View Profile
Re: Chances at Davis--closing their acceptances soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:19:37 PM »
Hi all:

Okay, so I've been obsessively checking the Davis status checker and I'm starting to get a bit nervous.  Currently, their admitted student site says that 770 files have been updated.  According to their Application Status site, they have 3412 total applications. 

Seeing as how they have already admitted 770 people, that is already 22.5% acceptance rate.  They historically hover around 23% or so.  So that means, they really have only 30 more slots to give out +/- a few applications. 

I've been complete since December and still not a peep from them!  (3.4 and 159).  I know it's a bit of a reach, but they're my top choice!

What do you guys think?  Does their acceptance rate include waitlists?  Will this last batch all be waitlist?  I know there are folks out there as obsessive as I am.

Indulge me.

I thought last year was around 28% acceptance, but I'm not sure..

Anyhow, I got waitlisted with a 3.76/166.  I think it's because I was a music major, but I was apparently auto-admitted at Hastings (two week turnaround, same app. date). 

I withdrew from the waitlist immediately, so that's at least one spot freed up..

Also, maybe the recent USNWR will help your chances a tiny bit.  Davis & Hastings are now only separated by two spots, so perhaps that could be an advantage for people waiting on Davis.  That's a bit of a stretch, but you never know.

Good luck.

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:19:47 PM »
For starters, I feel your pain, as Davis is my top "realistic" choice.  I applied in October, so it's been a long, long time for me too.

Now on to business...one thing you're overlooking is that the status checker tells you how many applications were UPDATED, not the total number of applications in the system.  I'm pretty sure Davis usually gets over 5,000 applicants each year (EDIT: I was wrong about this, they only get around 4,000).

With that said, last year they admitted a little over 800 applicants (not sure of exact figure), so the 770 number tells me they still have a few more to go. Good luck, maybe I'll see you there.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:38:49 PM »
Took forever for me too. I found out yesterday (in with a 160/3.25) after being complete the first week of December, but will be withdrawing. I submitted fall grades, but they never even took them (and Davis seems to emphasis fall grades).
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

CosmicDancer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »
Wow, Keelee!  I wish I were choosing between SC and Fordham!  Congrats.

The waiting is the killer... I don't even know if a letter of continued interest is even worth it at this point if I haven't heard either way.

Best of luck to all.  I hope I'll see you at Davis, too, Goose!