Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pitt vs. Duquesne  (Read 1011 times)

bunny

• View Profile
Pitt vs. Duquesne
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »
Need to make a descision today & I'm still on the fence.  I'm leaning towards Pitt since it is ranked higher, but I am not getting any $$ there.  Duquesne offered $10K per year & the lower debt load is tempting.

Any advice?

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt vs. Duquesne
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:29:46 AM »
At the Pitt ASW, people were maddd hatin on Duquesne.  And it seems that the top school in the city is pitt so...
Princeton Law 2010

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
To me, $10K per year is not worth going to Duquesne for. If it were a half or full ride, then I'd tell you to think twice about it...but that's not the case. Go to Pitt. If you look at the majority of large/mid sized firms in Pittsburgh, most partners/associates went to Pitt.

Auelan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Auelan01
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:12:42 AM »
Definitely Pitt. The Pittsburgh legal market is full of Pitt lawyers. It's far and away the top school in the market. A little extra debt is okay when you look at the extra options it affords you. Like someone above said, if it was a full ride from Duquesne it'd be a little different, but Pitt's public school tuition is reasonably cheap even out of state anyway. Plus, unless you're already from a rust belt city like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc., be prepared for a pleasant surprise as you realize just how low the cost of living is.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:00:20 PM »
For what it's worth, Duquesne dropped from T3 to T4.

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
Pitt's also in a safer area.  You can easily find a nice place to live in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill and not have to go through the ghetto at all to get to school.  Not so with Duquesne.  Your Pitt degree will also be worth much more.

bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 02:02:02 PM »
I did end up choosing Pitt for all the reasons that were mentioned.  I think the thing that drew me to Duquesne was that I liked the people, the atmosphere & the students, but I knew deep down that Pitt was a better choice.  Thanks for all your input.

Is anyone else going to Pitt?

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 05:36:16 PM »
I did end up choosing Pitt for all the reasons that were mentioned.  I think the thing that drew me to Duquesne was that I liked the people, the atmosphere & the students, but I knew deep down that Pitt was a better choice.  Thanks for all your input.

Is anyone else going to Pitt?

I think you make the right choice. Pitt is a much better school.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

SonnyProBono

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »
Good call. Duquesne is crappy, so I've heard.