Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Now Alabama vs. Georgia  (Read 2297 times)

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Now Alabama vs. Georgia
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:03:02 AM »
Well now Georgia and Bama are tied for #36  Tiny part of me regrets turning down a full tuition scholarship at Bama for 3k annual at Georgia.  However, since the only part of the rankings I care about is the professionals' reputation survey, does anybody know how Bama and UGA compared in this regard?

Thanks

watso059

• View Profile
Re: Now Alabama vs. Georgia
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
I'm not sure. I am curious why you would turn down full at Bama and take $3k a year at GA though?
Yay (In): Samford, Stetson, Mercer, Miami, LSU$, South Texas$$, Jones$$, Barry$$, Cooley$$$
Boo (Dings): Tulane, UGA

Considering: Jones$, Cumberland, Mercer
Withdrawn: Barry, STCL, Cooley, LSU, FL Coastal, Miami, Stetson

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=watso059

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »
But since you asked, I looked it up:

Rank, Points, Peer Assessment, Lawyer Assessment, '06 GPA, '06 LSAT, '06 Acceptance Rate, '06 Student/Faculty Ratio, '05 Grads employed at grad, '05 Grads employed 9 months, Bar passage in jurisdiction, Overall bar passage

University of Alabama
36 55 2.8 3.3 3.29-3.83 159-165 32.0% 11.3 84.8%  98.4% 97.3%/AL 80%

University of Georgia
36 55 3.0 3.2 3.39-3.85 156-164 22.6% 15.7 83.0%  98.2% 91.4%/GA 85%

Thanks for the info.  Don't worry, I'm not at all thinking about jumping ship.  I was just curious to see if Georgia tanked in the reputation survey and Alabama peaked.  From my own impression of two schools, location, location, location puts Georgia ahead for me (I'm a Georgia guy what can I say?) along with their alumni network in the Southeast, but I must admit their administration is somewhat sloppy while Bama is a much more aggressive, better recruiter and more generous with their scholarship dollars.  If Georgia keeps going the way they are then Alabama will pass them and if that is the case, Pres. Adams might want to look for a new Dean.

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:02:24 PM »
They look like they're about dead even.  I've heard that UA is increasing their faculty by 50% next year.  If they do and keep the class size the same, they'll have to go up.  Of course there's always the chance that their entering class data for this year changes and helps/hurts their rankings as well.  I think that's mainly what happened with UT (lower GPA and LSAT than previous year).  It does seem like UA is actively trying to make the school/rankings better.  I am curious just how high they can go before they peak.

Exactly, Alabama gives me the impression that they are trying to improve while Georgia looks like they are only resting on past laurels.  If it wasn't for my own and my fiancee's preference for Georgia the state, I would be Bama bound in a heartbeat.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 07:33:13 PM »
That sounds like UGA. I went there for undergrad, and the school as a whole is fairly pretensious. They like to state that they're the "Flagship University" of the State of Georgia, but the sad truth is that Tech is a far better academic state school than they are. Further, Emory is right down the road from them, and it's a better overall school as well.

It looks like UGA was exposed a bit with the new way that LSAT's are calculated. A 156 just won't get it done for your 25th percitle of LSAT. I'd expect next cycle's applicants to pay the price for this though. They'll have to have really good LSAT's to get in.

They look like they're about dead even.  I've heard that UA is increasing their faculty by 50% next year.  If they do and keep the class size the same, they'll have to go up.  Of course there's always the chance that their entering class data for this year changes and helps/hurts their rankings as well.  I think that's mainly what happened with UT (lower GPA and LSAT than previous year).  It does seem like UA is actively trying to make the school/rankings better.  I am curious just how high they can go before they peak.

Exactly, Alabama gives me the impression that they are trying to improve while Georgia looks like they are only resting on past laurels.  If it wasn't for my own and my fiancee's preference for Georgia the state, I would be Bama bound in a heartbeat.