Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. of North Carolina- Chapel Hill  (Read 3013 times)

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
U. of North Carolina- Chapel Hill
« on: March 30, 2007, 08:58:38 AM »
Does anybody know what happen to University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill to cause them to drop from the mid-20's to mid 30's?

Just curious.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
Re: U. of North Carolina- Chapel Hill
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:01:45 AM »
I have no idea. I still love 'em though. Many on this board would probably notice my incredible bias by now. Can you smell an alumni?
Washington University School of Law 2010

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
I'm not an auto-admit to UNC, but I'm certainly in their ballpark, yet I've heard absolutely nothing from them in months.  They claim that I'll get a decision by the end of April, but by that time I will already have put down a deposit at another school.  Since I got my first acceptance (Emory), I've had a lot of time to imagine myself going there, and thusly they gained an advantage.  UNC doesn't do itself any favors by taking so long in getting decisions out to people.
Emory '10

BlueHeaven07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:05:45 PM »
The main reason is the fact that the law school seriously whiffed on its search for a dean last year. They tried to get Erwin Chemerinsky from Duke, and not only did he decline, he publicly stated that the reason was the law school's relatively paltry endowment. Student to faculty ratio doesn't really help matters, either. They are making strides in faculty hirings and seem to have a fairly solid hire in Dean Boger after the Chemerinsky fiasco, but the university in general suffers from a tight-fisted state legislature. I hate to seem like I'm talking down my alma mater's law school...you'll still get a fine education by going there, and the law school may have really started to turn things around.
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 07:41:50 PM »
Notwithstanding any of the things BlueHeaven mentioned, there is NO WAY IN THIS WORLD that Carolina Law and Campbell should be considered to be peer institutions.  This astronomical drop in the rankings is unfounded in my opinion.  There is good reason that 60% of the NC bar received their education in Chapel Hill, and USNRW needs to stop the insanity!    :P
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »
They have some money issues.  I don't know exactly what their money issues are but guesses is the state legislature and college aren't giving them enough, they are forced to accept a majority of in state people meaning they don't get the higher out of state tuition and the state legislature might be fighting them tooth and nail every time they try to increase their tuition.  These things almost always work itself out of a few years, something will have to give, like they let in my out of staters or raise their tuition or just get more money from the state legislature, but if you look at their reputation scores they are a borderline top 20 school.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 07:46:08 PM »
Here's a link to the info sharky alluded to: http://www.law.unc.edu/pdfs/usnewsstatement.pdf
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:05:20 PM »
Here's a link to the info sharky alluded to: http://www.law.unc.edu/pdfs/usnewsstatement.pdf

Well written piece, UNC's ranking will definitely go back up.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Wunjin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »
For the most part I think a lot of the USNEWS rankings are copouts.  I mean...7 or 8 law schools tied with UNC?  It seems like they just said to themselves "ok..we need some place to put all these big state institutions" let's just lump them together here. They did the same thing last year.