Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New 2008 USN&WR Rankings are up  (Read 3925 times)

ILoveUncleJesse

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New 2008 USN&WR Rankings are up
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 01:41:18 AM »
nice to know i'm not the only one who doesn't get it.

NeoElle

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 01:56:05 PM »
OSU went up 8 spots from 39 to 31!  W00t, W00t! 

Depaul dropped considerably.  This makes my almost dead-locked decision about choosing a 45k scholarship at Depaul and 10k per year scholarship at OSU a no-brainer!  Thanks for kickin' ass and takin' names OSU.   :D
OSU Moritz College of Law c/o 2010 --I think, see below =(

Waitlisted: ND, GW, UIUC & WUSTL

Haven't heard from: UCLA

nehsief

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »
GW dropped out of T20 and BU moved ahead. USC moved a spot foward. Vandy had a big jump. These are the things I notice right away.
I think the size of GW is a downer. 1400 some for FT and another 500 some PT, this is too much.
Me "Honey, The person who invented alphabets must've been a genius, I wonder who it was? Do you know?"
My wife "What the heck are you talking about, go to sleep now."

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »
GW dropped out of T20 and BU moved ahead. USC moved a spot foward. Vandy had a big jump. These are the things I notice right away.
I think the size of GW is a downer. 1400 some for FT and another 500 some PT, this is too much.

Georgetown is similarly sized (larger, in fact, right?) and yet is stubbornly able to remain in the t14 despite the chaos within the t14 and outside of it.  I'm starting to think there is something to the whole pedigree bias that favors certain big name schools that are "expected" to remain top schools.  Granted, some schools (ie: hastings) once had top-ranked programs that fell out of the t14, but Hastings probably never did have the pedigree that Georgetown had (speaking generally, not of the law program specifically).
Yale.Law.School.2010

nehsief

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »

Georgetown is similarly sized (larger, in fact, right?) and yet is stubbornly able to remain in the t14 despite the chaos within the t14 and outside of it.  I'm starting to think there is something to the whole pedigree bias that favors certain big name schools that are "expected" to remain top schools.  Granted, some schools (ie: hastings) once had top-ranked programs that fell out of the t14, but Hastings probably never did have the pedigree that Georgetown had (speaking generally, not of the law program specifically).

Well, fine law school seems just natually associated with G-Town, Cornell, Yale, Harvard, Penn, or even Princeton for any layman.
Me "Honey, The person who invented alphabets must've been a genius, I wonder who it was? Do you know?"
My wife "What the heck are you talking about, go to sleep now."

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »

Well, fine law school seems just natually associated with G-Town, Cornell, Yale, Harvard, Penn, or even Princeton for any layman.

Princeton Law is the r0x0rz.

Also, I do think they've given out honorary doctorates in law or in legal related fields.  Not sure though.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »

Hatings was never t14 tho--and iirc they dropped out of the t20 (or t25 i forget) when they submitted a low 25th lsat (bc of their LEOP program).

For GULC, of course prestige plays a part--aren't rep scores like 40% of the score?
Columbia 3L

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »

Hatings was never t14 tho--and iirc they dropped out of the t20 (or t25 i forget) when they submitted a low 25th lsat (bc of their LEOP program).

For GULC, of course prestige plays a part--aren't rep scores like 40% of the score?

I thought at its height Hastings made their way into the t14.  Perhaps not.

Yeah, the rep scores would probably be the root cause of this pedigree bias.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Dr. Raoul Duke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »

IIRC, Hastings at its peak was #20 in 1994. 

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 03:27:21 PM »

IIRC, Hastings at its peak was #20 in 1994. 

Thanks for checking.  You beat me to it.
Yale.Law.School.2010